Propose to sell USB pen drives with Puppy on them

News, happenings
pakt

Re: Propose to sell USB pen drives with Puppy on them

#16 Post by pakt »

dvw86 wrote:Since people seem to be having trouble with installing Puppy onto USB pen drives, I decided to help out.
If your USB flash pen works with WakeUSB on older PC's (see http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=3352) that can't normally boot from USB, that would make your incentive even better :).

Perhaps you have an old PC you can try WakeUSB and your pen drive with? WakeUSB can be booted from either floppy or CD - I've uploaded images for both.

dvw86

#17 Post by dvw86 »

All of my PCs can boot from USB. I guess I could get into the BIOS and turn that feature off, but I don't know if that would really be a true test. I noticed that if I tell it not to boot from a hard drive it will anyways if there is nothing else to boot from. I would love to test it though so we would know for sure.

edoc

#18 Post by edoc »

dvw86 wrote:All of my PCs can boot from USB. I guess I could get into the BIOS and turn that feature off, but I don't know if that would really be a true test. I noticed that if I tell it not to boot from a hard drive it will anyways if there is nothing else to boot from. I would love to test it though so we would know for sure.
I am puzzled as to how you would market this. All one has to do is to click the install to USB icon and it is essentially an automated process.

I can see the value to potential Puppy folks but those with Puppy loaded would seem easily able to make their own.

It's a neat idea we have been kicking around on the forum for a while as it sure beats hauling a CD around and is more flexible for the movement of files on and off, etc. Would make a neat Christmas gift!

I have a 1G Corsair USB stick on which I plan to install Thingamablog & Java, Perl & ndsiwrapper, sync software for my Sharp Zaurus, some Amateur Radio apps, etc.

Problem is on my uncooperative-for-USB-boot IBM ThinkPad 600X.

If you need your setup tested on my ThinkPad I have a Memorex 128 USB stick I can send you to load and then will test it here.

doc
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

pakt

#19 Post by pakt »

edoc wrote:Problem is on my uncooperative-for-USB-boot IBM ThinkPad 600X.
Sounds like you're the perfect candidate to try WakeUSB :) See my post http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=3352. It works on my old (from 2000) Thinkpad 240x with an unbootable USB1.1 port and a Sandisk USB 2.0 Cruzer Mini 128MB flash pen with Puppy on it...

dvw86

#20 Post by dvw86 »

edoc wrote:I am puzzled as to how you would market this. All one has to do is to click the install to USB icon and it is essentially an automated process.
Not everybody has a high speed connection to download Puppy with and not all USB pens are bootable. Even then some people are having problems getting it to work. This is just an alternative for those people.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

USB keydrive as a bootable drive

#21 Post by Lobster »

:)

Yes I have a 64 meg disgo USB keydrive
used the write to USB script in 1.0.6rc
seemed to install OK (so that is good) There may have been one error towards the end - the writing part. So when I tried booting (from two different machines) one did not have a USB option and the other did not recognise the USB keydrive as a bootable drive.

So I gave up . . . because I have no overriding need for this . . . People have different perceptions of ease of use.

Mine is "just works" :oops:
. . . just a lazy Lobster basking in the sun . . .

I think Dan has a great website and I hope this service will develop - I do think providing a floppy boot option makes the potential use of this even more trouble free - perhaps with a datasheet . . .

8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

pakt

Re: USB keydrive as a bootable drive

#22 Post by pakt »

Lobster wrote:...I do think providing a floppy boot option makes the potential use of this even more trouble free - perhaps with a datasheet . . .
Did I see a suggestion there?? Great!

Lobster, would you care to amplify on what you meant with "perhaps with a datasheet". I assume you were refering to the floppy... :)

pakt

#23 Post by pakt »

dvw86 wrote:I would love to test it though so we would know for sure.
Dan, perhaps you could loan me on of your Super Talent flash pens loaded with Puppy so I can test it with WakeUSB and see if it will work with some old PC's I have that don't boot from USB.