vuppy - puppy with SUN vBOX included

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
raffy

still there

#21 Post by raffy »

Vuppy is still there at 2shared.com.

This is an interesting project for running legacy systems, like DOS or Windows NT.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

mikeb

#22 Post by mikeb »

This is an interesting project for running legacy systems, like DOS or Windows NT.
well one approched that was interesting was a kiosk mode...booting straight into vbox/qemu so to the user it seemed like a standard windows setup all the way to shutdown

mike

josephdowdy

Vuppy?

#23 Post by josephdowdy »

Is there an ISO of the current version of Puppy with Virtual Box already installed?

moB

#24 Post by moB »

puppyluvr wrote::D Hello
So basically what you want is the user can only access XP. So, booting into a CLI Puppy, with a script to start VBox would be easy enough, but a script to pre-select and boot a specific virtual machine would ( I think) have to be a change in VBox itself, unless it has a setup for autoloading a specific machine. or if there is a way to do it with a script in Puppy.

In order to execute something Before X starts, we`d have to edit xinit.rc....

While we`re at it, how about a script in Puppy to backup the VBox VDI of XP and update it on shutdown, maybe keeping a log of changes.

Backup with a record in case of any problems.
[/quote]

Everything you ask can be done from script. Use VboxManage. (CLI controls replace the GUI so the VBox can run "headless"). See chapter 8 in the VBox manual... yes, its down to that old "google is your f* friend, RTFM" thing ;-)

If you don't have VBox to look up the help it is also here:

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/Usermanual.html

Essentially, the GUI is an extra, it lies in a subdirectory. One can make one's own, or use script for automation. Cheers!

"some ships sail from their ports and are ever afterwards missing" H. Melville

moB

#25 Post by moB »

puppyluvr wrote::D Hello
So basically what you want is the user can only access XP. So, booting into a CLI Puppy, with a script to start VBox would be easy enough, but a script to pre-select and boot a specific virtual machine would ( I think) have to be a change in VBox itself, unless it has a setup for autoloading a specific machine. or if there is a way to do it with a script in Puppy.

In order to execute something Before X starts, we`d have to edit xinit.rc....

While we`re at it, how about a script in Puppy to backup the VBox VDI of XP and update it on shutdown, maybe keeping a log of changes.

Backup with a record in case of any problems.
[/quote]

Everything you ask can be done from script. Use VboxManage. (CLI controls replace the GUI so the VBox can run "headless"). See chapter 8 in the VBox manual... yes, its down to that old "google is your f* friend, RTFM" thing ;-)

Essentially, the GUI is an extra, it lies in a subdirectory. One can make one's own, or use script for automation. Cheers!

dWLkR

#26 Post by dWLkR »

moB wrote:Everything you ask can be done from script. Use VboxManage. (CLI controls replace the GUI so the VBox can run "headless"). See chapter 8 in the VBox manual... yes, its down to that old "google is your f* friend, RTFM" thing ;-)

choose your destiny:
[ ] i did not read the topic, i just wanted to post sth. cool...
[ ] btw. what does the button "edit" mean anyways?!
[ ] someone already worked with the "quote"-function in forums?
[ ] i have never written a script by myself
[ ] watcha gonna do, when the hulkamanics and dWLkR run wild on you?