vuppy - puppy with SUN vBOX included

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Ron

#16 Post by Ron »

I really would like to try Vuppy out. I have a few questions about it:

1. I am running Puppy 4 now on live CD only. Since I have a pup_save file already, what does Vuppy do with that? Does it try to use it? I would like to try Vuppy separately from my current Puppy, but on the same computer, so what would I need to do?

2. Does this package include SDL and QT?

3. Does it need to use Xorg? I thought I read somewhere that it does. My system is on Xvesa now because of driver problems.

Thanks,
Ron

dWLkR

#17 Post by dWLkR »

hi puppyluvr!

sorry m8 - i am currently totally busy - so i am ashamed to tell you - that i did not have any time left testing your great work! next week i will have time for this! so don't be angry ^^

cretsiah

#18 Post by cretsiah »

Ron wrote:I really would like to try Vuppy out. I have a few questions about it:

1. I am running Puppy 4 now on live CD only. Since I have a pup_save file already, what does Vuppy do with that? Does it try to use it? I would like to try Vuppy separately from my current Puppy, but on the same computer, so what would I need to do?

2. Does this package include SDL and QT?

3. Does it need to use Xorg? I thought I read somewhere that it does. My system is on Xvesa now because of driver problems.

Thanks,
Ron
answers :

1. Yes it will / or can use that pup_save file ....so if you dont want it to then i suggest moving it or renaming it so it wont get picked up on the boot /search sequence....

2. Yes it includes both SDL 1.2.9 and QT 3.3.8 which will benefit other pet down loads if you dont have these already...

3. From my understanding of XVESA it is a lesser version of XORG but still uses a form of the Xwindows system.....You will be able to use vuppy in either mode Xorg or Xvesa ....your only draw backs will be a) the amount of ram you have, b) the speed of your processor and c) hardrive space....

If you look up blogs by me (cretsiah) on the puppy's wikki (or puppy's community site) you will see a helpfile that may help you determine if it will meet your needs if you are trying to run windows on it...

Hopefully this is some help to you Ron....

l1zart

Same idea

#19 Post by l1zart »

Hello guys,

I need EXACTLY the same. I need a universal version of xp. Im working at a big college in the netherlands. we want all the systems to run the same configuration and when somebody mess up a system it doesn't matter :) more flexibel systems and less things to fix. but there is one difference. we want an image on the harddrive, an untouched version. when the system boots it makes a copy from this image and run the copy. when it shutsdown, it deletes the temporary image. this because there are many tricks to get unauthorised software or data on a computer. this way, when the system reboots, the data will be gone :)
all we have to watch is the users folders on the network :)

our team/I want to cooperate in your project. can do some research and fix some problems. the boss is paying anyway ;)

thanx a lot for all the research and information. its a big help.

Jonathan

puppyluvr

#20 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello Jonathan,
After no reply from dWLkR since late Aug. I had kinda shelved this one :D ...
So I D/L`d the ISO I had made then and checked it out again...Needs work... 8)
The concept is functional, the GUI needs work. :lol:

I will play around with it relative to your needs, and some new ideas, and get back..
With a few tweaks, this "Puppy as a faux Windoze server" could really be useful..
This concept gives incredible power and ease over Windoze, with minimum effort..
( For instance, you can install software to the VDI once, then copy it to the various machines)
Some things:
Removing the VBox GUI. so 1024x768 (ect) is all in the screen...
Guest Additions...When you create your "Master" VDI you may want to have Guest Additions for Windows installed, but only if you want local, ( ie. HDD outside the VDI) storage access,(Probably not), Network works fine in VBox thru Puppy, as does sound.. And no matter which Puppy box you "move" your "one" VDI to, Windoze sees the same "hardware"..I use a USB drive to transfer/run them..Windoze,...on a stick...I use a full featured Puppy, rather than an "invisible" one..My Puppy, and a custom XP install on a 4gb stick.... On almost any machine. (Ram permitting)
( As for that troublesome EULA, I own my disk, and installed it to a "machine", albeit a virtual one... )
As for a clean sweep every time, easy enough, but troublesome and unnecessary.
Troublesome because some user settings are convenient (ie passwords and bookmarks) and would require a configured VDI for every user. Part of the power of this is you are one "copy/replace" command away from a fresh, (uninfected ect..) Doze.
Unnecessary because you can limit their Doze HDD size to exactly what they need / you want and no more....Also one copy to a USB and you can examine "their" Doze at your leisure on any machine, If they know that you can insert a USB stick, and have whatever they have done instantly, that alone will prohibit "errant" software installation.
Im sure this will serve your purpose well, and will be easy to do yourselves..
Pick a Puppy that will work on all your hardware....
Install VBox.on it.. Create a symlink to /root /Startup for VBox.
Create your OS VDI.. (Copy it to a USB stick)
Remaster your new Puppy including VBox and any stuff you need to make it work on every machine, to a CD.(Or the aforementioned USB stick, if your hardware will all boot from USB, (not likely on older hardware))
Install your Puppy to every machine and configure Network/Audio/ect...
Transfer the VDI from the USB stick to each machine, where your pupsave is, and load it in VBox.
Comment out the Taskbar / Menus in jwmrc/jwmrctray..Add the line "rox -p=" to xinitrc to kill Rox at boot. (Or write a script to make the changes by replacing them with new ones.)
The post by "mikeb" seems to have solved the startup/shutdown issue, Ill be checking that out.. :D as it looks like a better answer than this..
When you reboot the machine only VBox is accessible, and start boots Doze.
I know, seems like a lot, but its really fast and easy, well, except the initial Doze install.
But you only have to do it once. Transferring a VDI is much faster..LOL..
If you want a basic example, D/L the "Undercoverpup.iso" from the Buddapup link below and check it out...It boots to Icewm and Jwm is "invisible" so you set it up and reboot it to jwm...then save...Its really rough, but will give you an idea...

....Jay.....
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

raffy

still there

#21 Post by raffy »

Vuppy is still there at 2shared.com.

This is an interesting project for running legacy systems, like DOS or Windows NT.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

mikeb

#22 Post by mikeb »

This is an interesting project for running legacy systems, like DOS or Windows NT.
well one approched that was interesting was a kiosk mode...booting straight into vbox/qemu so to the user it seemed like a standard windows setup all the way to shutdown

mike

josephdowdy

Vuppy?

#23 Post by josephdowdy »

Is there an ISO of the current version of Puppy with Virtual Box already installed?

moB

#24 Post by moB »

puppyluvr wrote::D Hello
So basically what you want is the user can only access XP. So, booting into a CLI Puppy, with a script to start VBox would be easy enough, but a script to pre-select and boot a specific virtual machine would ( I think) have to be a change in VBox itself, unless it has a setup for autoloading a specific machine. or if there is a way to do it with a script in Puppy.

In order to execute something Before X starts, we`d have to edit xinit.rc....

While we`re at it, how about a script in Puppy to backup the VBox VDI of XP and update it on shutdown, maybe keeping a log of changes.

Backup with a record in case of any problems.
[/quote]

Everything you ask can be done from script. Use VboxManage. (CLI controls replace the GUI so the VBox can run "headless"). See chapter 8 in the VBox manual... yes, its down to that old "google is your f* friend, RTFM" thing ;-)

If you don't have VBox to look up the help it is also here:

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/Usermanual.html

Essentially, the GUI is an extra, it lies in a subdirectory. One can make one's own, or use script for automation. Cheers!

"some ships sail from their ports and are ever afterwards missing" H. Melville

moB

#25 Post by moB »

puppyluvr wrote::D Hello
So basically what you want is the user can only access XP. So, booting into a CLI Puppy, with a script to start VBox would be easy enough, but a script to pre-select and boot a specific virtual machine would ( I think) have to be a change in VBox itself, unless it has a setup for autoloading a specific machine. or if there is a way to do it with a script in Puppy.

In order to execute something Before X starts, we`d have to edit xinit.rc....

While we`re at it, how about a script in Puppy to backup the VBox VDI of XP and update it on shutdown, maybe keeping a log of changes.

Backup with a record in case of any problems.
[/quote]

Everything you ask can be done from script. Use VboxManage. (CLI controls replace the GUI so the VBox can run "headless"). See chapter 8 in the VBox manual... yes, its down to that old "google is your f* friend, RTFM" thing ;-)

Essentially, the GUI is an extra, it lies in a subdirectory. One can make one's own, or use script for automation. Cheers!

dWLkR

#26 Post by dWLkR »

moB wrote:Everything you ask can be done from script. Use VboxManage. (CLI controls replace the GUI so the VBox can run "headless"). See chapter 8 in the VBox manual... yes, its down to that old "google is your f* friend, RTFM" thing ;-)

choose your destiny:
[ ] i did not read the topic, i just wanted to post sth. cool...
[ ] btw. what does the button "edit" mean anyways?!
[ ] someone already worked with the "quote"-function in forums?
[ ] i have never written a script by myself
[ ] watcha gonna do, when the hulkamanics and dWLkR run wild on you?