If you encounter sound/audio problems try the following

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
lindylex

#1 Post by lindylex »

(Using Puppy 3.0, Full Hard Drive (H.D.) Install)

- Update Puppy's ALSA
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 470#105470
- Go to BIOS and disable Plug-and-Play O.S., set it to off or disable
- Go to terminal and run alsaconf. If you have an old computer with the audio card appart of the motherboard or card is not installed in one of the short white slot called a pci slot
then choose "legacy" during the setup.
- Reboot
- Go to the terminal /Menu/Utility/Rxvt terminal emulator
- type this command alsamixer
- Set all volume to 100 use left and right key then press 9 then push up on the key board to set to 100. If it say [Off] next to it like this Item : PCM [Off] turn it on, by using the < and > keys these means left or right speaker on/off. When on is turned on you will notice the "M" is gone and looks like "0". Press tab and go through all the " View" option and turn them all up.

- Try to play an mp3 file. If this plays set the volume on the application you are using to something you can visually remember, then reboot.

COMMON PROBLEM
- If the volume set is set to nothing and you can not hear anything you have to repeat the step where you set all the audio to 100 and turn on the left and right speakers.
- Open this text file /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown like this /Menu/Document/Geany text editor then open the text file /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown and add this
alsactl store
to the very bottom before #the end#

- Open the text file /etc/rc.d/rc.local and add this
alsactl restore
- Play your favorite mp3 again setting the volume to something you can remember then reboot.
You will notice the volume settings have been saved.

alsactl store - save all the various volumes position
alsactl restore - restores them all

These values are stored in this text file /etc/asound.state

It only took me three days to figure all this out hope it saves you much less time and frustration.

This Linux distribution is the easiest for configuring and getting volume/audio to work for any type of hardware, my humble opinion.

Thanks to the following link for the hints
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 365fe575ff
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 470#105470

t.foard

Somewhere Out There

#2 Post by t.foard »

I keep reading these forums and get totally confused. Sorry.

I have an older desktop with what everyone else (including Ubuntu) recognizes as an SiS ;chipset on the motherboard. However, no version of puppy or ALSA included with it has every found this sound capability.

I have tried to run cat/proc/asound etc. and get told it does not exist. I have tried to force drivers without success and I have tried to figure out what driver Ubuntu selects without luck. I'm not stupid but it always seems like there is something about all these forum posts that I do not understand. Can anyone point me to a basic step by step process to determine what I have and how to get it working?

Thanks