#31 Post by Ray MK »

Hi

Puppy n00bie - but very enthusiastic and willing to learn

Most appropriate for me is probably - Level 1 - low level

Happy to help anyway I can.

best regards - Ray

jhecht

#32 Post by jhecht »

John Hechtman - contact through forum, or direct email.

I'd call myself sort of a level 2. I've used Puppy for a long time, along with other Linux distros. I'm a pro computer tech by trade, and service both Windows and Macintosh 'puters.

Not a programmer, not a developer, but what I AM is a very skilled technical writer. Just had a book published on wiring audio recording studios. Check out: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Wiring-Guid ... 0240520068

So I'd like to volunteer to help with documentation. One of the biggest stumbling blocks for all the Linux distros I've worked with (maybe 12-15) is that they either have almost no documentation, or really scanty documentation, or else the docs presuppose a level of knowledge and expertise that may/may not exist in a new - or even intermediate - end user.

I'd like to make the following a steadfast rule for all Puppy documentation; when you describe a process, ALWAYS give EVERY step! Every single mother-lovin' one of them, no matter how obvious, or self-evident you think they are. What is self-evident to YOU may NOT be to the next person to read the docs...

If you don't want to spell out a procedure in your docs, you MUST provide a link to it, so someone who does not know that step can find the missing puzzle piece, and then come back to your docs quickly...

If everyone who works on Puppy documentation abides by this simple, logical rule Puppy documentation will very soon outshine the docs for almost any other available distro!

I cam be reached at jhecht@ix.netcom.com

Thanks!
John Hechtman / www.zenarrow.com / jhecht@ix.netcom.com
"Computer help in NYC" / 917 628 0192 - cell / 212 586 4633 - landline

mysticmarks

#33 Post by mysticmarks »

jhecht wrote:John Hechtman - contact through forum, or direct email.

I'd like to make the following a steadfast rule for all Puppy documentation; when you describe a process, ALWAYS give EVERY step! Every single mother-lovin' one of them, no matter how obvious, or self-evident you think they are. What is self-evident to YOU may NOT be to the next person to read the docs...

If you don't want to spell out a procedure in your docs, you MUST provide a link to it, so someone who does not know that step can find the missing puzzle piece, and then come back to your docs quickly...

If everyone who works on Puppy documentation abides by this simple, logical rule Puppy documentation will very soon outshine the docs for almost any other available distro!

Thanks!
Excellent. If you're serious, The Wiki would be an excellent contribution to this project as it stands at the moment. It needs refinement for your reasoning reguarding new users.

I would also like to know if you would be able to correlate with a level 3 to produce a cloud diagram of the squash file system overlay of puppy with links to the updated wiki [which of course you having redesigned sorted/created the appropriate documentation for. ;) ].

Ideally, a new start page for puppy that will be an attractive/interactive diagram of a layered union file system and linked to man pages essentially providing lesson 1 for the new user, and allowing them access to level 2 very quickly. This is essential in maintaining a user base.

It would be a big undertaking, but would correct some long standing side work that has become a stone in the shoe.

Aitch

#34 Post by Aitch »

Excellent post mystic

ttuuxxx

#35 Post by ttuuxxx »

I'd call myself sort of a level 2. I've used Puppy for a long time, along with other Linux distros. I'm a pro computer tech by trade, and service both Windows and Macintosh 'puters.

Not a programmer, not a developer, but what I AM is a very skilled technical writer. Just had a book published on wiring audio recording studios. Check out: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Wiring-Guid ... 0240520068

So I'd like to volunteer to help with documentation. One of the biggest stumbling blocks for all the Linux distros I've worked with (maybe 12-15) is that they either have almost no documentation, or really scanty documentation, or else the docs presuppose a level of knowledge and expertise that may/may not exist in a new - or even intermediate - end user.

I cam be reached at jhecht@ix.netcom.com

Thanks!
or another idea is,,, Muggins posted a little program that can record your screen as you do things, If someone would say record how to make a pet package, you could translate that video into text format, and maybe pause it and take screen shots and then we'll have a real nice documentation. How does that sound?
Not really implying that it has to be you, just an idea, to simplify things, some people have problems putting actions into words, Ever see the movie "Lost in Translation?" great movie
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

mysticmarks

agreed

#36 Post by mysticmarks »

[/quote]
or another idea is,,, Muggins posted a little program that can record your screen as you do things, If someone would say record how to make a pet package, you could translate that video into text format, and maybe pause it and take screen shots and then we'll have a real nice documentation. How does that sound?
ttuuxxx[/quote]

This is actually a part of the whole process I was speaking of. Links would bring you to those explainations and videos based off of the main page. I totally agree. However, I would note that this would require additional work by the Level 3, as he/she would be doing all of the video of his/her work. BUT, we could use a new volunteer to do post video editing and isolation of screenshots for use. So we need a video pro.

Now would be an excellent time for input and volunteers. If we have the people then you (jhecht) should pm those people and start a new thread that will begin the process.

We are all leaders AND followers. Lets keep the ball rolling folks!

jhecht

#37 Post by jhecht »

mysticmarks wrote:

Thanks!
Excellent. If you're serious, The Wiki would be an excellent contribution to this project as it stands at the moment. It needs refinement for your reasoning reguarding new users.

I would also like to know if you would be able to correlate with a level 3 to produce a cloud diagram of the squash file system overlay of puppy with links to the updated wiki [which of course you having redesigned sorted/created the appropriate documentation for. ;) ].

Ideally, a new start page for puppy that will be an attractive/interactive diagram of a layered union file system and linked to man pages essentially providing lesson 1 for the new user, and allowing them access to level 2 very quickly. This is essential in maintaining a user base.

It would be a big undertaking, but would correct some long standing side work that has become a stone in the shoe.
MM - it's a lovely idea, but I fear you are asking me to commit to more time than I can give - and also more expertise - I have never edited a Wiki...

What I was thinking about was more along the lines of a book, or series of articles about using Puppy. I am appending a how-to I wrote to this post, about creating a dual-booting Puppy/Win XP 'puter, and a second how-to, about restoring the GUI, if your Puppy drops to commandline.

There are some issues here that need to be addressed. The Puppy Documentation Project has a lot of good info - including some of my contributions.

But procedures vary according to what vintage Puppy you're working with, and there are often good reasons for choosing an older build over the latest one. For example, when installing Puppy on older computers. I've found v2.15 CE to be more compatible with older hardware than newer builds - likely due to the older kernel.

The PDP is not currently (AFAIK) set up to reference docs by build number. So I propose that the info in the PDP be categorized by build. That way when you look at a doc, you know what version of Puppy it was written for. This is a pretty simple task, and would GREATLY enhance the usability of the existing documentation.

That said, my own idea was sort of "The Puppy Book" - and I would gladly interface with a level 3 Puppian, or Lucifer himself to do it (grin).

Here's a rough idea of possible chapters/contents. Add/remove/slice/dice, and cook 'til done.

*What is/why use Puppy?
*Using Puppy as a live CD, including write back to CD in multisession
*Installing Puppy as a standalone OS to older computers
*Installing Puppy as a standalone OS to newer computers
*Installing Puppy as a dual booting OS to older computers
*Installing Puppy as a dual booting OS to newer computers
*Installing Puppy to other media - e.g. flash drives
*Using Puppy 1 - how to navigate in Puppy and configure connections
*Using Puppy 2 - how to set up printers & other peripherals (i-Pods)
*Using Puppy 3 - networking with other computers
*Using Puppy 4 - adding programs and remastering Puppy

This list is by no means complete, but it would be a darn good start if such a compilation was made. If it was structured as a book, rather than a Wiki, it might be salable - which could benefit both the authors AND the Puppy Linux Foundation/Barry Kauler. I, for one, would gladly tithe a generous portion of any profits I made to ensure the continuation of Puppy after Barry 'retires'...
Attachments
Puppy Fix.zip
How to get the graphical user interface back, if Puppy drops to the commandline (# prompt)
(1.22 KiB) Downloaded 920 times
Puppy Install.zip
How to create a dual booting Puppy/Win XP computer
(3.16 KiB) Downloaded 907 times
Last edited by jhecht on Fri 26 Sep 2008, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.

jhecht

#38 Post by jhecht »

ttuuxxx wrote: or another idea is,,, Muggins posted a little program that can record your screen as you do things, If someone would say record how to make a pet package, you could translate that video into text format, and maybe pause it and take screen shots and then we'll have a real nice documentation. How does that sound?
Not really implying that it has to be you, just an idea, to simplify things, some people have problems putting actions into words, Ever see the movie "Lost in Translation?" great movie
ttuuxxx
Would you please provide a link for the program Muggins uploaded? It sounds very useful!

And with no disrespect, ttuuxxx, this is exactly the mindset I'm trying to change - if you post about the fact that there's a cool program, that does xyz, you need to put a link for that program in the original posting!

This makes it easy for readers to find it, and spares you annoying comments like mine (grin). I don't want a movie review, I want the cool proggie, and I want it now. It's a way of thinking...

Aitch

#39 Post by Aitch »

jhecht

John, 1st I support your comment to ttuuxxx about the links, so also have to admit not being so supportive of your links in your posts, which I feel are a bit spammy for a forum
However, I know you are trying to grow you're business, I just feel there are better ways, OK
Link here:-
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=33674

As you will see, you got some support

I've sent you a pm with some ideas re this, HTH

Aitch :)

jhecht

#40 Post by jhecht »

Aitch wrote:jhecht

John, 1st I support your comment to ttuuxxx about the links, so also have to admit not being so supportive of your links in your posts, which I feel are a bit spammy for a forum
However, I know you are trying to grow you're business, I just feel there are better ways, OK
Link here:-
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=33674

As you will see, you got some support

I've sent you a pm with some ideas re this, HTH

Aitch - please read my reply at:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 557#235557

I got your PM - thanks! I'll check out your suggestions as time permits.

Regarding my links - I assume you mean the ones in my signature? There's my main email and website - I think those are very plain vanilla.

Then there's my description of what I do, and my service phone number. They are there to inform people that I am available to help them, and provide a quick means to contact me.

FWIW, I have been using the same Sig here for years, and you are the only one who has ever questioned it - and that includes the forum moderators...

I judge signatures by the size/length, as well as content. Mine is designed to let people know who I am, what I do, and how to reach me in the smallest amount of space - thus not clogging up the forum with trivia.

Look at cb88's signature - which takes up far more space then mine - yet you don't object to his... If you like, I could lay it out horizontally rather than vertically. Would that be better for you?

changturkey

#41 Post by changturkey »

Level 1.

cb88

#42 Post by cb88 »

no jhecht im pretty sure he ment the links to your commercial software and books in the above post and the other thread that got locked

like this above:
and yeah my sig is almost the max length big deal i have links in mine too

you posted some links to your books and stuff etc big deal just as longs as your a real person and not some senseless spambot ....
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

Aitch

#43 Post by Aitch »

no jhecht im pretty sure he ment the links to your commercial software and books in the above post and the other thread that got locked
Yep - and the big difference in the footer, is a little blue button with a house & www on

just like other people seem content with

but hey, the horse is dead already :wink:

onwards and upwards, right?

alienjeff

#44 Post by alienjeff »

Not only is the horse dead, but so is this thread.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

ecomoney

#45 Post by ecomoney »

Technically.....level 2...just about. Still unsure with a great many things

However.....

I have got a great deal of experience with puppy users and implementing puppy linux in real world situations. Ive ran a puppy linux cybercafe for two years, where Ive delivered training and support. I continue to install puppy linux privately in peoples home, and collect older hardware from schools, colleges, hospitals and businesses to resell with puppy linux on. I havnt kept accurate records, but I believe the amount of running puppy linux computers in and around my town to be around the 200 mark so far. I also maintain puppy linux to at many commercial, voluntary and community sites, including a garage, a PR company, a preschool, several community centres, the local Multiple Sclerosis group etc etc.

In terms of background computing experience I got my first computer (a bbc micro) aged nine and got my first paid computer job (doing graphics and titles for a small video company) aged 12. I took a Btec National diploma in General Computer studies at our local technical college, and went on to take a Higher National Diploma in Business Information Systems at Huddersfield University. I then worked freelance for a few legal firms before being made "Millenium Bug" project manager for Lincolnshire County Councils Social Services Department. I then moved on to work for a Software house whos clients included walmart and several large manufacturing and logistics companies.

For around a year I worked as an I.T. tutor for our local Adult education service, and earned a City and Guilds qualification in Teaching. I finally set up my own business at the end of 2004 (Ecomoney Systems Ltd) and have worked with puppy linux, alongside several web/social networking concepts.

In terms of technical skill, Im still sadly lacking, but if you need advice on how to implement puppy linux in homes and businesses then I have a great deal of experience. Puppy linux has so much potential, and I would love more of this experience to go into simple new features for future versions of puppy, if only I could persuade the developers to include them!!!
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

canbyte

#46 Post by canbyte »

What about a place for a newbie noob, level 0 or below! Thats me, Canbyte. I have other technical training, can write and being a bit pedantic, can think like a non geek. One problem as i see it is that good info is piecemeal, all over the place, getting access to it can be confusing and time consuming. So far i've spent 2 months on this go-round trying to get puppy working, plus a previous effort similarly unsuccessful. I hope i don't have to give up this time but until i get my oki printer working and either a usb drive or a lan share with a win98 box working, the project can only be considered experimental, subject to disillusionment/ abandonment. I need a system, not a Puppy box.

I've been reading till my eyes bleed - kind respondents' replies, the wiki, fora here and elsewhere, the manual, etc. While Puppy is a great box to use, this is not how i want to live my life. Volunteering to organize the info would be a far more satisfying use of my time. Although there is some benefit going through some pain to understand MY problem, it really doesn't do anything for Puppy. So lets make a deal. Somebody, get my @#$%^& system working, as Ecomoney is doing, I'll work endlessly on presenting / reorganizing info so non geeky newbies can get going or solve problems quickly, much as jhecht described. [I once saw a page that had topics that that the reader could expand as needed to show /print more detail.]

I'll be your border collie rounding up the bits and pieces!

-----------------------------------
Reorganize puppy home page to eliminate clicks.
Expand forum topics to encourage more permanent / developing topics.

So lets boogie.

Cheers.

mohan34u

#47 Post by mohan34u »

Me too, a level 1 puppy user, sometimes, contributor.

Often you can see my post with new .pet package. I love to create packages for puppy. Working in a Tech company, so I'm not able to spend my fulltime on puppy.
Last edited by mohan34u on Fri 01 May 2009, 08:51, edited 1 time in total.

T_Hobbit

#48 Post by T_Hobbit »

Level 1 with some knowledge from level 2
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

ezeze5000

#49 Post by ezeze5000 »

Level 1.5 have donated hardware in the earlier development of Puppy.

Have performed a lot of full hard drive puppy installs.
Have had to trouble shoot hardware problems on old PCs to get puppy to run properly.

Keep burned copies of puppy handy for anybody that might want to try out Puppy. Have made a lot of converts!

Anyway thats my 2 cents worth.
If at first you don't succeed try try again!

Max Headroom

Level 1.5 > Virtually Level 2

#50 Post by Max Headroom »

Level 1.5 > Virtually Level 2
First Puppies 1.05 Chubby, & 1.07, Many since...
First Linux Mandrake 9.0,
Other Linux includes Mandriva, Xandros, Suse, PC Linux OS, kNoppix, Kanotix, Simply Mepis, Sidux, Elive, Dream Linux, etc...
Other OSes Mac 10.2, M$ 3.1 for WorkGroups ( Basic Training Course ), W9X, W2K Pro & $erver, W2K3 $erver, XP, Vi$ta ( Don't go there! )
eNthusiatic, Keen Tester / User / Puppy Promoter
How can U & I Help?

We're Saving th' Planet by Keeping Old Working Hardware Out o' LandFills!