pupget broken (files accidentally deleted)

Using applications, configuring, problems
iamsofaking

pupget broken (files accidentally deleted)

#1 Post by iamsofaking »

After installing various packages to an hd puppy, I seem to have broken pupget. It launches, but after I click on Install_or_remove_packages, I get a "usage for xdialog" screen. Has anyone else experienced this?

MU

#2 Post by MU »

There are (at least) 2 theoretically possible things, that might be related to problems with Gtk:

1. You have set up a language, that uses a font not available or that has not all characters.

Try that in a console:
export LANG=C
pupget

2. You might have a corrupt Gtk-Theme
Did you install new Gtk-themes?

maybe it also is something different :?

Mark

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

I got this Xdialog problem once when one of the files in /root/.packages got messed up.
Take a look at /root/.packages/alienpackages.txt, livepackages.txt, packages.txt, see if any line looks wrong, or any blank lines.
The problem I had was one of the dotpups inserted a corrupt line into alienpackages.txt.

I think I need to improve PupGet so it can check the format and repair these files.

iamsofaking

embarassing admission

#4 Post by iamsofaking »

EMBARASSING ADMISSION:
In a fit of stupidity, I mistakenly deleted everything in .packages. By mistakenly, I mean that for some reason I thought that it would be a good idea.

So, how do I fix that?

kcin

#5 Post by kcin »

I also had this happen once... When it happened to me, I eventually figured out that I had just added an entry to themeslist in ,jwm/themes, and I had only typed one argument instead of the expected two... It seems a variety of small errors can cause this same symptom...

...Suggest backtracking every file you touched for any reason and double-checking your work

Regards,

kcin

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: embarassing admission

#6 Post by BarryK »

iamsofaking wrote:EMBARASSING ADMISSION:
In a fit of stupidity, I mistakenly deleted everything in .packages. By mistakenly, I mean that for some reason I thought that it would be a good idea.

So, how do I fix that?
The original files are inside images.gz ...you would have to uncompress it, then mount it by loopback device. It is an ext2 f.s.

Ah, if you were using the multisession CD/DVD, you would have the audit trail, all deleted files still existing on the CD/DVD.

iamsofaking

lesson learned

#7 Post by iamsofaking »

Thank you. Putting the default files in my .packages fixed it. I'll be a little more careful about what I delete in the future.

(':oops:')