Custom Puppies website -puptrix.org

News, happenings
Ted Dog

Custom Puppies website -puptrix.org

#1 Post by Ted Dog »

I have started a website (still configuring) with high bandwidth, high availablity, forums dedicated to customized Puppy versions. I hope to make an on line configurable custom puppies for those wishing to use the advances made over the last months with the methods of branding, wallpapers, etc. Like you have for cellphones. A cross between distrowatch and adopt a pet.
I will upload the numerous custom versions if those owner do not object.

www.puptrix.org new dog new trixs :D

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

This might be useful
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/VersionsPuppy

good luck :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

raffy

Great

#3 Post by raffy »

Great - i think rxlinux is doing what you described, though help for downloaders seem minimal.

How about something that gives you custom image.gz and usr*.fs which you put in hard disk then use a standard boot CD to get the system working? :)

#4 Post by Guest »

Who's authoring this ?

You or Barry ?

I'm confused

Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

Cool! I sure wouldn't mind if you hosted mine. I have the space for it at my site, but from what I hear it isn't the fastest. So, if you want to host it, go ahead.

Actually, I just logged into my site and discovered that I've already used 133.01% (32.47 GB of 24.41 GB) of my bandwidth. I had no idea Pizzapup would use that much bandwidth. I'm not sure what my host's policies are on bandwidth, but I guess I'm about to find out :) At least I know they don't stop access to the site.

Hmmm... I seem to be using 200mb of space, to. That's strange. Pizzapup is only 70, and I know I don't have 140mb of other stuff. I'm going to have to look into this.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

Ted Dog,
That's great!

The front page of www.pupweb.org has links to the Puppy sites, our
"puppy web", so I will add yours.
...the web is looking very impressive!

Ted_Dog

new playing with new puppy.

#7 Post by Ted_Dog »

Pizzasgood,
your Pup barks :shock: literally :!: about 2am all is quiet all puppies are sleeping except for the electronic version. When It let out a bark, my real dogs go nutts, thanks, It was fun to have them try to find the barking. I'll be uploading your PizzaPup tonight I've got 4GB storage and 1 TeraB monthly bandwidth alotted, lets ROCK.

Pizzasgood

#8 Post by Pizzasgood »

Cool :D Thanks a bunch.

As for the barking, that was actually Barry's idea, and all Puppy's have it in them, but it is disabled in /etc/profile. I guess it caused problems with some systems that didn't have sound cards, so it got commented out. It's near the bottom, a line like "#playtcl /usr/share/audi/2barks.au &" or something. I missed it, so I re-enabled it.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

Ted Dog

PizzaPup iso is being uploaded as I type

#9 Post by Ted Dog »

The first custom iso is being uploaded. The bare minumn site is up. The links will be cleared up after all is uploaded. I am going to look for ways to move files to the site, download is fast on cable modem, upload not so fast. When I worked for a ISP we would telnet into our remote servers and move thangs over the backbone in seconds. I think there is a way to use PHP to do something like that since telnet timed out. :?
I have already hacked my new DevonIT NTA puppy adding a 1G compact flash. Hee Hee Hee.... The boot process can be improved. They setup a 64M of video memory which took away to much RAM the changed to 16M looks just as good. The main logo for my site was constructed and uploaded from the silent puppy. :P Multitasking is fun 4 computers all running Puppy linux. I need more plugs!!! and ports in my router.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#10 Post by GuestToo »

if you have ssh access to your server, you could ssh in and use wget to download files directly to your server

Pizzasgood

#11 Post by Pizzasgood »

Cool. I don't know if you just haven't gotten to it yet, but you should upload the md5 checksum too so people can make sure it downloaded correctly. Thanks. Now I'm going to go change my links to point to that so my bandwidth for next month wont get eaten too. :)

Ted_Dog

Hosting of non-offical releases

#12 Post by Ted_Dog »

Anonymous wrote:Who's authoring this ?

You or Barry ?

I'm confused
I noticed a pending confusion between the many offsprings and the standard puppy release on this forum. Authors of the offspring puppies, such as Pizzasgood's PizzaPup, remain as I downloaded them. The puptrix site itself, I'll manage. The main catacories of puptrix forum will be managed by me and the author of named puppy ofspring. I'll basically edit out spam, extreme flames and way offtopic posts. Everything would be editable by the author of the custom puppy under his or her forum area.
I will look for new custom versions on the annoucement in this forum. This should allow the main site pupweb to refocus on the offical releases. That would make it easier for the flood of newcommers to puppy linux that I expect will be just a release or two away.
It will also expand the use of puppy linux in general, since talented customizers which may not have the resources to support the distribution will have a way to show off their work, and a forum to help fix their fleas (bugs). I will have my own custom versions as well.
As things progress in the customization area of puppy linux I will expand the use of the site to online customization with downloadable stuff (for nominal fee if needed to fund bandwidth) I hope to supply iso's for free.

Ted

Pizzasgood

#13 Post by Pizzasgood »

Sounds fun!

Nathan F

#14 Post by Nathan F »

Ted Dog-

This is fantastic news!!!!!!!!

Could you mirror my next Grafpup iso? Probably less than a week away now. I've got a website complete with forum in the works but it would be fantastic to have another download location.

Nathan

Ted Dog

You Bet! looking forward to the release

#15 Post by Ted Dog »

Nathan,
That is part of the plan. Puppies with new tricks Pup-Trix. Yours could be the pup of the week :P