MODEM HELP ....

Booting, installing, newbie
noisecontrol

MODEM HELP ....

#1 Post by noisecontrol »

I have a Rockwell Chipset Modem - Puppy's Modem Wizard will identify it, but it is not recognized as S0 TO or ttyS0 ttyS1, 2, 3, 4 etc.

I can force it with modem-wizard-k2.4 but it still does not connect to my Netzero service.

On top of that - I cannot get the Netzero service installed. I am thoroughly confused and need a lot of help. Is there anyone out there who can get me on-line so that I can start accessing the dot pups?

Also- I'd like to thank the people in the IRC rooms for being so patient with me.

I am using Win2k professional and desperately want to permanantly migrate to linux. I have seen the benefits in the past, but only when I could afford broadband. The modem has been consistently too difficult to set up.

Best regards,

Christopher J. Bradley
noisecontrol
Noisecontrol

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Dial-up modems have been around so long you'd think they'd be a slam-dunk in Linux. Oddly enough it's on the high-speed internet that Linux seems to leave Windows behind. Go figure.

Are you familiar with the difference between Winmodems and hardware modems? If yours is a Winmodem it will be difficult, if not impossible, to get it to work in Linux.

Is there any chance you could try another modem, perhaps an external one, just to get online in Linux?

babbs

#3 Post by babbs »

Here is a link to the best modem site I've found for using winmodems in linux:

http://www.linmodems.org/

Their mailing list has some VERY helpful people on it. Run their scanModem tool and send the results. I haven't tried them for use with Puppy yet, but they should be able to put you on the right track. (A list member compiled a driver for me to use with Knoppix and pointed me to the right driver for use with Fedora.)