Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 31 Oct 2014, 14:46
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
4.1 Alpha 7
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 7 [99 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
linuxcbon

PostPosted: Fri 29 Aug 2008, 19:21    Post subject:  

bootsysinit.log

ls: cannot access /sys/bus/pcmcia/devices/*/modalias: No such file or directory

# asapm
asapm: open_apm_device_file: The file does not exist.
asapm: Neither ACPI nor APM are available!
Tui

PostPosted: Fri 29 Aug 2008, 19:56    Post subject: Pfind 4.3
Subject description: Window won't close!

I am making this post from from Alpha7.

Opening the v4.3 Pfind prog is ok but won't close with the " X "
-top right corner, but will close with the bottom right icon (don't
know what that icon is)

Other functions seem to work ok- search; advanced and configure.

I was going to upgrade my full install of Alpha6 to A7 would
there be a crash of the new ?

I also noted that A6 has for me a problem with the Pfind 4.1
in that the X close here opens with a new window instead
of closing.

Are the two problems linked ?

Tui
PaulBx1

PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug 2008, 00:21    Post subject:  

I was in pburn in the window to select an iso to burn. I double-clicked the alpha7 iso, expecting it to add the iso name to the list of things to burn. Instead, it mounted the iso! And then it told me to click on the icon to dismount; of course there was no icon...

I don't know what a double-click did in pburn in "the old days", but it's possible the puppy event thing has usurped a normal function that used to belong to applications.
zygo

PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug 2008, 02:05    Post subject:  

Barry,

Much the same as a6 re pmount, autocutsel-0.7.1-1.pet (clipboards), pupdial and puppy event manager: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=32451&start=74

- pupdial
I've managed to connect. My trusty external usrobotics modem on a 9-pin serial port is not automatically detected. Is this intentional? Then with no /dev/modem, pupdial deletes any existing wvdial.conf instead of using its modem dev setting (to make the /dev/modem link) & isp settings. Anyway, probe works. Clicking its dev button (ttyS0) just gives modem not detected - this bug was in 4.0 also. Once I enter the isp settings it also needs chap-secrets & pap-secrets setting to make ppp last more than a second.

EDIT
changed: 15-pin to 9-pin.
removed: cdp doesn't work (it does if I remember to use the new drive designation: sr1)

Last edited by zygo on Tue 02 Sep 2008, 13:23; edited 2 times in total
zigbert

PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug 2008, 02:55    Post subject:  

PaulBx1 wrote:
was in pburn in the window to select an iso to burn. I double-clicked the alpha7 iso, expecting it to add the iso name to the list of things to burn. Instead, it mounted the iso! And then it told me to click on the icon to dismount; of course there was no icon...

I don't know what a double-click did in pburn in "the old days", but it's possible the puppy event thing has usurped a normal function that used to belong to applications.
I don't think the problem is ' the puppy event thing'. The behaviour is correct, because double-click in Pburn runs action on file specified in the rox MIME db. I'll look at it....maybe I can get Pburn override MIME in case it's a *.iso.

Sigmund

John Doe

PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug 2008, 03:02    Post subject:  

zigbert wrote:
....maybe I can get Pburn override MIME in case it's a *.iso.

or consider keeping the default and adding a right click option in ROX (or the other way around)?
Pizarro

PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug 2008, 06:50    Post subject: Wireless
Subject description: Feedback

Dell Inspiron 2500, Philips snu5600 usb dongle. Dongle successfully used in pup 3.01 and 4.00. In 4.1alpha6 and 4.1alpha7-k2.6.25.16-compromise the dongle is detected with the correct chipset (zd1211) but when using connection wizard finds no networks. Manually entering connection details does not find a live network.
zigbert

PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug 2008, 06:57    Post subject:  

This is strange !!!!
The CD must be ejected and reloaded before before mounting shows recent burnt datas.

In example I burn my Pburn directory to the CD already containing Pbackup directory. Here's the details:
Code:
# mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /mnt/sr0 2> /dev/null
# ls /mnt/sr0
pbackup
# umount /dev/sr0
#
#
# genisoimage -R -o "/tmp.iso" -C 14059,23498 -M /dev/sr0 -graft-points "pburn"="/mnt/sda6/prioritet 1/privat/prg/bash/pburn"
# ...
# wodim -multi -tao -v  dev=/dev/sr0 "/tmp.iso"
# ...
#
#
# ls /mnt/sr0                                                               
pbackup
# umount /dev/sr0
# eject
# ls /mnt/sr0
pbackup  pburn
It's very hard for Pbackup and Pburn (and possible others) to verify burnt datas because of this.

Sigmund

PaulBx1

PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug 2008, 10:02    Post subject:  

Quote:
I don't think the problem is ' the puppy event thing'. The behaviour is correct, because double-click in Pburn runs action on file specified in the rox MIME db. I'll look at it....maybe I can get Pburn override MIME in case it's a *.iso.

What I had been doing in that window, was double-clicking to get down through the filesystem hierarchy to get to the iso I wanted to burn, so I just naturally double-clicked the iso when I got there. I think it is weird that double-clicking within an application gives the same result that it gives within a rox window, as if the application does not matter at all! Oh, well, I guess I will not double-click the iso any more. Rolling Eyes

BTW, it is looking like my CD device is missing some driver or something, as reported in the pburn thread. It is this device:
Vendor_info : 'TSSTcorp'
Identification : 'CDRWDVD TSL462D '
Revision : 'DE07'
capoverde

PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug 2008, 11:29    Post subject:  

Upgraded a 4.1.6 HD install to 4.1.7 without apparent problems.

Gxine mainly works now, but as always it's very sensitive to X server settings and hardware: depending on these and on the video format, it may work perfectly / imperfectly / not at all. After tweaking the Xorg settings for half an hour I finally got a perfect replay of a .mov file, which previously had either the lower half screen turned green, or a missing top left square -- BUT at the cost of having a defective display for the other formats (.avi, .wmv, .mpg), which before were perfect even in fullscreen! Mad It seems that this happened on previous Puppies too.

BTW: not a 4.1.7 bug, but after setting a different vertical sync for Xorg I inadvertently hit the return key instead of the recommended Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.
Zap! All locked up with a black screen -- and even after a cold reboot, both the USB keyboard and the USB mouse, which previously had been detected automatically and worked fine, remained dead: probably Xorg restarts with default values after hanging up.
A PS/2 keyboard was at hand and I could run the mouse/keybd wizard with it, but IMHO such a situation may discourage many a newcomer, especially if lacking a PS/2 keyboard or mouse. True, there's a warning; but remember the classic "Don't touch the red button!" warning -- possibly all trouble could be avoided just by disabling the <Return> key and replacing the OK tab with the line 'Hit Ctrl+Alt+Bcksp for OK'.

Other odd things in the appearance of drives in Pmount, in single-window mode:

Default engine Pmount:
fd0/sda1/sda3/sda4/sr0

Default engine MUT (first time):
fd0/fd0/sr0/sda1/sda3/sda4 (why does the same floppy appear twice?)

Still with MUT as default engine, after closing the window then restarting the mount utility from the desktop icon:
fd0/sr0/sda1/sda3/sda4/fd0 (same as before but with doubled-up floppy at the bottom!).

For USB drives there also seems to be a conflict between Hotplug and the drive mounter: on one test, in the menu appearing when right-clicking over any drive icon, the third line 'Unmount **** (if currently mounted)' didn't appear at all for a USB drive I had mounted with Pmount -- and I was using a HD install. On the contrary, booting from an SD card in a USB reader, it appeared regularly for that drive, though it's not unmountable.

I also copied some files to an SD card on a USB reader, and they were copied correctly despite the message saying they couldn't be copied - possibly there's been an incomplete correction of the read-only bug.
PaulBx1

PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug 2008, 13:10    Post subject:  

I am interested in how one tweaks xorg to get gxine going; is there a howto around here? I will try a search. It's strange to me that a display application controls audio. Or maybe it doesn't! Rolling Eyes

Nit 1: Pupscan displays pci interfaces. It would be nice if the display were sorted according to vendor and device numbers, rather than scrambled as it is now. Maybe sort the loaded modules display too.

Nit 2: The menu for multimedia probably could be rearranged according to function, e.g. gxine first, then other players, then mixers, then rippers, then general burners.

My xorg.conf says the display is an "SEC" "3358" but I could not find this with pupscan or hardinfo. Perhaps this was just chosen in xorg wizard as a reasonable generic device? Is it worth finding out what my display really is and putting it in xorg.conf? How does one find that out when hardinfo and pupscan don't say, or say something contrary? Would doing this work give me audio?

Maybe this is what people mean when they say laptops are a pain in linux, while desktops are more generic and simpler to configure. Mine is a Dell Inspiron 1525.

<later>
After poking around I found this in /tmp/xerrs.log:
Code:
(EE) Failed to load module "glx" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)

Interestingly, I found an entry in Barry's blog that libgl had been added to Puppy4 base. Is it now removed again?
zigbert

PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug 2008, 17:48    Post subject:  

The help-file from the Pfind 3.x branch are still in /usr/share/doc/pfind/help-english.html. This file is no longer in use by Pfind, since all help is built inside Pfind and Pfilesearch variables.

Sigmund

PaulBx1

PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug 2008, 20:17    Post subject:  

I tried loading the b43legacy module with the boot manager. It did load, but still does not get my wireless working.

My ethernet connection usually does not work after a boot, needing a run through dhcpd first (in the network wizard). This last time I booted, it did come up properly. I'm guessing when it is backgrounded, something at the end of the boot cycle kills it? So that for these fast boots, and if dhcpd takes too long, it never finishes? I recall some note in dmesg telling that it never quite got done, but I'd have to reboot to get the details.
rerwin

PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug 2008, 23:17    Post subject: modem testing report
Subject description: martian works; slamr works if backend_d fixed; "overrides" not working for modems

1. The new kernel appears to have corrected the martian daemon /proc/self/exe problem!

2. The slamr module failure to load automatically can be resolved by adding "cd /sbin" near the end of /sbin/pup_event_backend_modprobe, since modprobe apparently uses the current directory to find itself. (Currently, pwd shows "/".)

3. The SL USB driver still works, but after plugging in the USB modem, probe-ERASE must be run and then a reboot, followed by a probe for pupdial to see the new modem. This seems overly complicated.

4. The Intel 536 modem driver is not loaded because the hardware is defined only in the PCI_OVERRIDES variable (in /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG); but only actual overrides are processed! The Intel536/7 overrides are actually added definitions that do not override any other module, and are ignored. I recommend removing the "added overrides" from PCI_OVERRIDES and extending the "added module" capability, to add a hardware-ID (hwid) parameter to make loading conditional on a match. (hwid=0xvvvv 0xpppp 0xssss 0xpppp" - fields 3 & 4 of 0x0000 would be wildcards) The parameter would not be passed to the module. This would also allow the knowledgeable user to add support for new hardware not otherwise defined.

5. I notice my /sbin/modemprobe_erase line to remove the conflicting "62, 64" nodes is missing: "rm -f /dev/ttyS_ESS0 /dev/ttySLT0 /dev/ttyS_PCTEL0 /dev/ttyLT0", that allows modemprobe to find the appropriate device, in case one of those nodes is residue from a prior modem installation.

6. Human factors issue: Upon first detection of a non-serial modem, both the connect-wizard and pupdial show the modem as detected. But if a modem is "probe-ERASEd", a reboot shows it detected by the wizard but not pupdial, necessitating a "probe". This is inconsistent behavior. Can the residual wvdial.conf file be set to the new modem, as well, if it is found to contain "modem = /dev/MYDEVM" during bootup?
Richard
Tui

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 05:02    Post subject: Pfind - v4.3 problem ?  

Hi zigbert I think this is your prog development, is it?

Have you seen the problem that I talked about in my posting ?

How can I fix this problem? -Help please.

Thank you,

Tui
Page 3 of 7 [99 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: