4.1 Alpha 7

Please post any bugs you have found
zigbert

#46 Post by zigbert »

Tui
The closing trouble of Pfind (and others) is described here. As long as you quit Pfind 4.3 with 'exit-button' in left bottom it should close properly. Please report back if it doesn't.

Sigmund

capoverde

#47 Post by capoverde »

PaulBx1 wrote:I am interested in how one tweaks xorg to get gxine going (...). It's strange to me that a display application controls audio.
Sorry, I said "a perfect replay" but actually meant "a perfect display". My tweaking of the Xorg settings was done to get Gxine to work right in video, not audio - which worked fine at all settings. To be precise, I had to set the vertical sync to 60 Hz - with screen resolution 1280x1024 - in order to see perfectly a .mov video downloaded from the Web: all other settings failed.

*But you're right, there is one kind of .mov format for which audio is intermittent in Gxine (comes and goes rhythmically), no fix found to date: of course it's my own camera's video format... :evil: I believe it depends on the frame rate, you'll hear my Yippee! if I get it to work straight.

Tui

Gnumeric Spreadsheet editor

#48 Post by Tui »

This posting is being made via Alpha7.

So far so good this alpha7 version is going sweet !

The problem I am having is in trying to get Gnumeric Spreadsheet Editor
working, it won't open.!

Using terminal console it returns Bus error what up here ?

I am using my bitsa 80Gb h/d machine with this version.

Help please!

Tui

capoverde

#49 Post by capoverde »

Hi Tui, tried calling Gnumeric in 4.1Alpha7 after reading your post: appears to run OK here.
To my not-very-expert knowledge, the message you get seems to indicate a hardware-related problem, but that should show up with other programs too: is the HD regularly accessed? Is it a parallel or a SATA?

pigshed

#50 Post by pigshed »

Got round to looking at the "jerky screen and scrolling problem" ... Not a fault with Alpha 7 or the kernel ... a fault with my settings ... If I had xorg set to 24 bit colour depth I get very jerky screen response all round... If it's set to 16 bit .. it's nice and smooth.

Ooops, Adam.

dogone

Multi-session DVD-R problems

#51 Post by dogone »

Both alpha 6 and 7 are successful at creating a Pupmode 77 multisession DVD-R. Both successfully save sessions to the disk. But both fail to create a replacement disk ("new start") when they encounter a blank DVD-R on shut-down or reboot. Both note that the original (boot) disk is missing and display the new/upgrade disk dialog, but both then fail to create the disk. Neither even attempt to write to the disk. There's a pause, a confirmation message appears and the disk is ejected.

DVDs are large enough to contain VERY many session directories before filling up. Boots become slower and slower as time goes by - to the point that one may opt to migrate to a new DVD before the current disk is full. My understanding is that one need only insert a blank CD/DVD-R in the drive before shutting down or rebootng a multisession. Puppy detects the new disk and migrates the entire system to it. This does not appear to work with 406 and 407.

I decided to experiment by providing multisession Puppy with a newly burned Puppy Live DVD rather than blank disk at reboot. Puppy noted the new disk and went into "new start" mode. The dialogs appeared in unfamiliar order but Puppy wrote to the disk.

Booting the new disk, I watched as Puppy loaded a session dated 08-08-31-12-11, *not* 08-09-01-02-22, the last session on the original disk. Loading took a very long time. Puppy booted to what appeared a current desktop. I then mounted the DVD and checked the size of session directory 08-08-31-12-11. The size was equivalent to the TOTAL of all the sessions on the original DVD. I browsed that session and found everything there - including the files and directories I'd deleted during past sessions.

Pupmode 77 is a very convenient and useful way to boot Puppy. I love the free, automatic incremental backups, but these alphas don't appear to be getting it right.

Please advise if I'm missing a key point here.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#52 Post by BarryK »

eprv has reported difficulty with the 'xfs' filesystem and Pmount. I have looked through Pmount theoretically, cannot see any problem. It seems that gtkdialog3 has a problem. eprv, you need to send me the content of /tmp/pmountdlg.txt_${MYPID}, where ${MYPID} will be some number. You could gzip it and post it to the forum.

zygo, reporting on PupDial, wrote this:
Once I enter the isp settings it also needs chap-secrets & pap-secrets setting to make ppp last more than a second.
What does that mean?

zigbert has reported a strange problem:
The CD must be ejected and reloaded before before mounting shows recent burnt datas.
There is a problem, or so it seems, with old information being retained when it should have upated. You have done an 'eject'. However, after burning, and before mounting the drive, use 'dd' to read from the drive -- that might force the directory/file information to update:

Code: Select all

# wodim ....stuff...
# dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/dev/null bs=1024 count=1
# mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /mnt/sr0
# ls /mnt/sr0
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

eprv

pmount

#53 Post by eprv »

Thanks for the effort here is the gzip file
Attachments
pmountdlg.txt_7815.gz
gzip dialog text
(581 Bytes) Downloaded 385 times

zigbert

#54 Post by zigbert »

Barry wrote:However, after burning, and before mounting the drive, use 'dd' to read from the drive -- that might force the directory/file information to update:

Nope! Still not updating until I have reloaded the disc. Also tried running cddetect and wodim -toc to see if could update info, but no go.

Sigmund

zygo

#55 Post by zygo »

Barry,
I think it's the same problem that I reported and Jnoble fixed in Dingo 392 here.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 0&start=90
Thanks Jnoble. I checked /etc/ppp/chap-secrets in 301 and found they contained the literal username and password separated by a 3 character sequence (tab, asterix and tab) followed by a blank line."

Dialup lasts in a7 if I make the 2 files as I described.
My modem connects but, I think, ppp can't authenticate because it looks in 2 blank files for username and password.

Rhino

#56 Post by Rhino »

I still have a few issues with Puppy 4.

In the Puppy 4 series, my pc defaults to the Ath5k which does not work. I have to manually switch back to ath_pci. I also still have issues with the widescreen Xorg (I get "fuzzy-flickering" bars in two locations on the screen and have to switch back to XVESA.

I now have to run the alsa wizard for sound...it used to work out of the box in previous puppies. Not really a problem though.

Nice work on Puppy, it still fits my needs the best and is wonderful to work with.
Visit the Puppy Linux Video Tutorials @ http://rhinoweb.us

BarryK
Puppy Master

#57 Post by BarryK »

zygo wrote:Barry,
I think it's the same problem that I reported and Jnoble fixed in Dingo 392 here.
Thanks Jnoble. I checked /etc/ppp/chap-secrets in 301 and found they contained the literal username and password separated by a 3 character sequence (tab, asterix and tab) followed by a blank line."

My modem connects but, I think, ppp can't authenticate because it looks in 2 blank files for username and password.
Hmm, I remember dealing with that problem, and fixing it. I did put a workaround into 'pupdial' to manually generate those files, as wvdial was not doing it. However, the reason for the failure of wvdial was discovered and the workaround became unnecessary -- but I don't recall the details, will have to hunt back through my blog.
The thing is, why in your case is it now "unfixed"?
That was done last year I think.

rerwin

Support for Conexant DGC USB modems?

#58 Post by rerwin »

Malderson, mouldy and muggins worked out how to use a Conexant DGC modem in Puppy, described in these threads:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 652#183645
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 652#181512

I have created a modem-init script to substitute for their setup commands and attach a dgcmodem firmware tarball below, to go into puppy 4.1's /lib/modules/all-firmware directory. To associate the script with the driver, add/insert the following line into /etc/modules/firmware.dep.2.6.*.*:

Dgcmodem:dgcusbdcp.ko
Although I also provide, below, a (2.6.21.7) dotpet for the Linuxant drivers and its friends for use in P4.1-retro, the script will still work if the user compiles and configures another version of the dgcmodem tar.gz download. Since I do not have the DGC hardware, I cannot test it all myself and need others to do so. Adding the script to puppy would simplify their testing by eliminating addition of commands to /etc/rc.local.

Once there is an sfs file for kernel-src-2.6.25.16 I can build the driver version for that kernel. Ideally, the latest version of the dgcmodem package would be included in Puppy. But for now, I request that the script/firmware tarball be incorporated into P4beta (408).

I expect that whenever the driver package is installed, a "depmod" command must be executed to register the device hardware IDs for the driver. And something may need to be done to let the BootManager see the driver -- adding it to modules.dep.2.6.*.*?

/lib/modules/2.6.21.7/extra/dgcusbdcp.ko:
Is there anything I have missed?
Richard
Attachments
dgcmodem.tar.gz
Firmware tarball with DGC modem initialization script & append lines for /etc/modprobe.conf,
to go to /lib/modules/all-firmware
(1.23 KiB) Downloaded 380 times
dgcmodem-1.07-2.6.21.7.pet
Compiled & configured driver for Connexant DGC modems for kernel 2.6.21.7 only
(P4.1-retro, 3.01, 3.00, 2.17) - no src
(35.4 KiB) Downloaded 395 times

capoverde

Apostrophe for terminal, no more?

#59 Post by capoverde »

A really marginal hitch: it used to be possible to open a terminal inside any directory, if its window is active, by simply hitting the apostrophe key - ' - and this shortcut is still indicated in the right-click menu; but works no more -- it worked in Dingo 4.00. Other shortcuts work normally.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#60 Post by BarryK »

zygo wrote:Barry,

Zygo,
I have posted a further response to this on my blog:
http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=00347
Any input that you can make to this is most welcome.

solid

Sound problems

#61 Post by solid »

So I've been meaning to at least mention this for a while. The sound is not working properly on my IBM Thinkpad 390X.

It's been happening since Puppy 4.00. It's an annoying problem, and one of the reasons I don't use Puppy 4 much. It affects everything with sound, online streaming, flash files, mp3s.

Whenever sound is played, it is chopped up into half-seconds, and then separated by half-second of nothing. Sometimes it makes my music sound cool, but mostly it's bothersome.

I'm more than willing to run some diagnostics. My 390X has a 500MHz P3 processor, Intel graphics, and 128MB ram.

Solid
Last edited by solid on Fri 05 Sep 2008, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#62 Post by Béèm »

Do you have a swap file/partition of at least 256MB?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

solid

#63 Post by solid »

Yes, I have a 360MB swap partition.

Solid

Sage

#64 Post by Sage »

When a FULL installation is UPGRADED with the PUI, local IP and Gateway addresses are not transferred, although DNS values are saved.

maggotspawn

#65 Post by maggotspawn »

Trying out alpha 7 on another laptop. Wireless works on this one. Intel 2200BG. Desktop drive icons displays folders instead of drive icons. Also lists my drive twice once as hda1 and once a sda1. In addition it won't let me mount drives from the icons. I have to use Pmount. I actually like Hotpup Drive Icons from Dingo better with the fix Dougal came up with. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=32986
Desktop drive icons and Pmount are a little buggy this go round. Pmount lists my usb flashdrive as an optical drive. Also reading my ide drive as sata for some reason, had to rewrite my menu.lst to get it to boot. Pfind is crashing constantly, worked fine in Dingo. Sound under Alsa is a little buggy, it goes out and I have to reboot.
The new kernel is working well though. It greatly improves the performance of the sound app Reaper running under Wine.
Last edited by maggotspawn on Fri 05 Sep 2008, 21:11, edited 4 times in total.