t2-to-puppy support scripts

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
ttuuxxx

Re: build err

#16 Post by ttuuxxx »

mysticmarks wrote:Im failing the build at autoconf (4 of 604 pkgs in my setup)

help!
Try this
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

mysticmarks

thanks

#17 Post by mysticmarks »

ttuuxxx, thanks for the suggestion. I'm using t2 full install, so im using CLI and wouldnt know where to begin with using a puppy file in it. i guess its time to tak a look at what barry posted at the beginning of this thread and see if it helps at all.

technosaurus

#18 Post by technosaurus »

@mysticmarks - I was almost certain that would be your response when I read the suggestion - you could always try the pet2tgz or pet2dir scripts on it and install it from puppy by mounting your T2 partition. Seems like a bit of a hassle but its the easiest way I could think of.

mysticmarks

re

#19 Post by mysticmarks »

Ah, now I see what you mean. I will certainly try that. (I wonder if because im bulding t2 off 7rc2 and using a newer kernel w/ cross arch if it will become an issue?)

@BarryK & Techno- Do you guys think I would have an issue using puppy to dl the build source? I thought that the T2 manual and software states explicitly that there are sub bindings in the build process, and you have to use the T2 scripts to add and remove from the build or you would get errors.

technosaurus

#20 Post by technosaurus »

@mystic - Sounds like you are about where I left off before I went back to work on the Puppy Web Desktop.... Which is trying to get a rolling release Puppy using Barry's archives at ibiblio with the "hard to find sources". Unfortunately many updated versions of these programs lack a reliable and easily located location for the latest/stable source code AFAIK - I'd be happy to be wrong and GPL compliant of course.

mysticmarks

moving forward

#21 Post by mysticmarks »

So i have moved forward! the autoconf failed build was resolved simply running ./scripts/Emerge-Pkg autoconf . i am going to build my first base as a x86 no optimization. if everything compiles correctly and i get the system up, i will rebuild a real cross arch and see where i get, for now though i should be able to run with it. I am heavily considering a cross arch that will test for hardware compatibility and run compiz fusion if possible, else fall back to another interface( im researching file managers and alt desk enviros right now. I may implement a 3d file manager/navigator similar to the one in jurassic park as they are small and just plain cool to use. The desk enviro elsewise may be a very basic one with docks of some sort.)

Further examination of the full T2 documentation reveals contridiction to building source on your own. You can, and should if capable, as many of the newer packages out arent tested yet. They need upstream support.

I really need some more input BarryK. I was curious about any other lightweight WM other than JWM that you had explored in your early stages. I also wanted to feel out what everyone else feels is important, as I am still looking at using a main stream package system.[God willing I make it there. ;) ]

Please read http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Desktop- ... 7553.shtml and comment.

cb88

#22 Post by cb88 »

fluxspace.... meh... it is just fluxbox+rox and some supporting stuff not impressed

although blackbox or openbox + rox might be a good mix

what is the smallest python package that can be made? so that rox python based rox apps will work?

also ... look into fbui and also directfb (alternative GUI)

with regard to jurassic park and SGI IRIX http://fsv.sourceforge.net/

http://nooface.net/3dui.shtml<< 3d gui stuff

http://www.dangerz.net/3dfb/
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

mysticmarks

new failure

#23 Post by mysticmarks »

Now im stuck at 1-glibc, cant Emerge-Pkg again. :? Cant wiat to see what T2 fixes if it stays ontime with the release in the next few months. Im looking back at rock linux and was curious what experiences anyone has had compiling from that. Is there any particularly noticable differences?

@ BarryK- What effect does enabling the bootstrap running system option have? Did you use this function during your build?

cb88

#24 Post by cb88 »

I want to say the bootstrap option builds a compile environment and then chroots into it and then restarts the build inside whereas without the option it is all just crosscompiled

so you are stuck in stage 1 with glibc just like me?
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.

kirk

#25 Post by kirk »

Barry,

Just built the T2 trunk with the Puppy package selection. Your scripts worked very nicely to split the packages up. Thanks. I still need to convert everything into pet packages for unleashed, and make a new Puppy with them. I'm sure the gcc T2 builds is still broke, it was a couple months ago, so I'll need to recompile that after making the new Puppy.

mysticmarks, cb88,

I'll post my T2 environment after I make sure it actually built good packages. If your trying to use T2's trunk to build Puppy's package selection there's a bit of luck involved. There's always packages broke, sometimes a lot of them, the bleeding edge can hurt, and the T2 folks test with a different package selection. I sporadicly work on this stuff as time permits, hopefully I'll get something together soon.

cb88

#26 Post by cb88 »

yeah.... I understand the bleeding edge :-)

drawback is it would tack me a whole day for the build to break on my slow PC...

technosaurus

#27 Post by technosaurus »

kirk,

Did you use puppy's gcc or the 4.3+ series version in the trunk?
I can't seem to get gcc 4.3+ to do the full build as of yet but am interested in some of the optimizations it has (specifically march & mtune for GEODE) ... I am not counting on a 0.8 release since there was never a 0.7 final release

kirk

#28 Post by kirk »

Yes, used all the trunk packages, except I had to use an older version of libgsf (gnome2), the latest version requires libbonono which requires dbus. I've converted everything into pet packages, need to edit packges.txt and try to build a new puppy. Then I can recompile gcc, for some reason the gcc T2 builds is broke in puppy.

kirk

#29 Post by kirk »

Here's the T2 trunk from 11-16-08 which has been modified for Puppy. It should build without problems, x86 anyway. At the bottom of the pkgsel file you'll see a whole bunch of extra packages that are commented out, you can uncomment them after the first complete build. There's a file named "Notes" you may want to read, it has a few notes about some package changes. Haven't had much time lately, hope to make a bunch of pet packages to use with unleashed.

http://puppylinux.ca/tpp/kirk/t2-trunk-1108.tar.bz2

It's about 5.7 MB.

cb88

#30 Post by cb88 »

*sigh* ... caneri's server is being overly paranoid I can't even download the file due to "Concurrent download limit exceeded."

admittedly I have used concurrent downloads in the past on puppylinux.ca (though usually i turn it off...) but this is just ridiculous considering that i haven't even downloaded anything from puppylinux.ca in a couple days and even then it was with petch or wget

Pizzasgood

#31 Post by Pizzasgood »

It isn't paranoia. Apparently somebody downloaded an uber-crapload and put him way over his monthly limit. So now it's down for the rest of the month.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

cb88

#32 Post by cb88 »

IC... well im sorry to hear that caneri has always been very helpful with hosting ( often with quite a bit of stress from random illegitimate server traffic from what i have gathered...)

technosaurus

#33 Post by technosaurus »

Welcome back Kirk - Looking forward to seeing your work as soon as we can get to it

kirk

#34 Post by kirk »

Just a note to anyone trying Xorg 7.4 with Puppy. Xorg 7.4 auto configures it self, and uses HAL for input devices. So if your not using HAL you need to tell Xorg not to look for it. Here's a xorg.conf file I've been using:
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AutoAddDevices" "False" # No HAL
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
Option "XkbLayout" "us" #xkeymap0
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

#Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto" #mouse0protocol
Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
#Option "Emulate3Buttons"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" #scrollwheel
EndSection

cb88

#35 Post by cb88 »

would you mind uploading somewhere? puppylinux.ca is still down