Any documentation re modules-2.4.29-completet.tar.gz?

Using applications, configuring, problems
robert

Any documentation re modules-2.4.29-completet.tar.gz?

#1 Post by robert »

Is there a doc / howto on installing any of the modules-etc in the modules-2.4.29-complete.tar.gz? Basically a 101 doc. I've tried doing searches in the forums with "modules-2.4.29-complete.tar.gz" in the search field, but nothing really pointing toward a doc file.

I don't see save2image in the Start menu in Puppy 1.0.5. Is this still available or has it been replaced with something else?

Any docs on usr_devx.sfs?

Any help would be appreciated.

A suggestion: There are several html doc's on different subjects like
boot2pup.htm,
cd-puppy.htm,
config-puppy.htm,
etc
at different locations on the Puppy Linux web page. To find them all one has to jump around the different parts of the Puppy Linux web page.

There's also the doc's on the CD itself like:
HOWTO get onto the Internet
HOWTO setup a network
HOWTO multimedia

Then there's the HowTo's in the forum.

Can there be one location for documentation that applies to the majority of the Puppy Linux users? Possibly another link at the top fo the main page next to the Download link that could be Documentation?

I realize that all documents cannot be at this one location. I would suggest all the docs from the CD, all the docs that are spread around the Puppy Linux web page (boot2pup.htm, cd-puppy.htm, config-puppy.htm' etc) and new docs on major subjects like downloading and installing modules-2.4.29-complete.tar.gz, or compiling with usr_devx.sfs.

Centralizing the documentation on major points could reduce the number of qustions you get on the discussion forums. Minor points / specific questions that do not apply to a large majority of Puppy linux users would then go to the forum area.

Just an idea.
Robert

enewed

2nd Any documentation re:2.4.29-complete & usr_devx.sfs

#2 Post by enewed »

Dear Group,
Thanks Robert for bringing this up. I have been trying to figure things out on my own for awhile now and have hit a wall.

I think I figured out how to load usr_devx.sfs. I'm not sure how to get it to load, but I found this in "rc.sysinit-hd"

#v1.0.5...
USRDEVX=""
rm -rf /.usr_devx 2> /dev/null
if [ ! "`ls /usr_devx.sfs 2> /dev/null`" = "" ];then
mkdir /.usr_devx 2> /dev/null
echo "Mounting /usr_devx.sfs file on /.usr_devx..."
losetup-FULL /dev/loop3 /usr_devx.sfs
mount -r -t squashfs -o noatime /dev/loop3 /.usr_devx;check_status $?
if [ $? -eq 0 ];then
USRDEVX=':/.usr_devx=ro'
But, how do you get that to load at startup???????

Also, I have puppy on the HD of on old Dell Inspiron 4000, and this computer runs hot. I've been trying to get "
i8kutils" to work on puppy, so I downloaded "modules-2.4.29-complete.tar.gz" to get the module "i8k.o" . But I did not know how to get it to load. I figured out to replace /lib/module/2.4.29 with the 2.4.29-complete folder and rename it to 2.4.29, I then did
#insmod /lib/module/2.4.29/kernel/drivers/char/i8k.o
and it loaded the module. Now I've got i8kmon working (THIS CONTROLS THE FANS).

But I don't know how to get ndiswrapper to automatically startup and turn on my Belkin Wifi Card and to get i8k.o to load as a module at startup. Or for that matter how to get i8kmon to start automatically at startup. (i8kmon can be a panel applet in gnome. can it be the same in puppy?)

See, there are so many questions, and I don't know where to go to figure them out !!
Can someone help with these startup questions, and how to use this extra stuff in puppy ?

Sincerely,
EnewEd :roll:
The Source is with you.

willhunt

hmmmmmmmm

#3 Post by willhunt »

I don't understand the search engine here but I find most of the answers I need but it would be real helpfull to have a greater understanding of the search feature as for finding out questions answered early on by browsing it's getting rough for me also......

starup items
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... &start=209
it works as for user_dev.sfs I don't understand it any way but I mounted it
merged it delteld it no problems same with wine I was just wondering why there's no script file for it

MU

#4 Post by MU »

these files should be mounted automatically.

Put them in your root-drive (that is where /mnt/home points to) and reboot.

Mark

enewed

Sorry not clear

#5 Post by enewed »

Dear MU,

That works if your booting from CD. I have Puppy on the laptops HD, and I have usr_devx.sfs in ~/. I'm suspecting from the script in sysinit-hd that if a folder is created /.usr_devx..... that proves that the development environment was mounted. But, that has not happened. Is there a way to use sysinit-hd as the bootup sysinit or would that mess things up ?

Also, how do I get i8k.o to load at startup ? I added it to the bottom of modules.conf0 and all it said at bootup was invalid entry on line #53. (i8k).

WAG version 0.3.2 solved the ndiswrapper problem. You can now modprobe that from WAG.

My Puppy's coming along, but there is just a few things I still need to happen automatically. (Running Puppy-Mozilla 1.05 with OpenOffice 2.0 & Streamtuner & FireFox 1.07)

Any further help would be appreciated.
Sincerely,
EnewEd :?:
The Source is with you.