Getting Echo Mona sound device to work

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
jukingeo

Getting Echo Mona sound device to work

#1 Post by jukingeo »

Hello all,

I recently purchased an Echo Mona sound device mainly because it was supposed to be Linux compliant and it has the features I want. However, I have having trouble getting the device to work.

I am on a triple boot computer in which I have Ubuntu Studio, Puppy Linux and Windows XP loaded on. All three OS's boot fine through Grub.

The Echo Mona IS fully functional in Windows XP, so I know the device works.

Anyway, I have a fellow friend that has been trying to help me and he suggested a few things. Iinstead of retyping everything here, I am just going to post my response to him here.

This is my response to him....hopefully this info helps.

<<Hello Graham,

Long time, no speak. Well anyway, I have had my 'rest' from Linux and I am back on the wagon again. I have decided to tackle Puppy Linux first because it seems like there is 'something going on' between Puppy and my sound device.

I am going to start with my desktop Puppy first and then the JOrgan variant on my USB Memory Stick.

First things first, I did as you said below, however I have the folders 2.6 and 2.6.25 in my /lib/modules folder, not 2.21.7 (remember I have the RT version of Puppy for use with Jack).

Ok, moving forward both of these folders I can navigate down to /lib/modules/2.6 (or 2.6.25) /kernel/sound/pci/echoaudio.

Within the /echoaudio folder, there is the file snd-mona.ko.

When I saw this, I was taking it that this is a good thing. But WAIT! It gets better. Going into my etc/modules/modprobe.conf file, the lines:

alias snd-card-0 snd-mona
alias sound-slot-0 snd mona

are already present! I didn't have to add them.

I also looked for the zdrv_400.sfs file and it appears to be on my system. But where is the question. I get three lines on my system when I search for that file:

Filename Path

+zdrv_400.sfs /mnt/+zdrv_400.sfs
zdrv_400.sfs /tmp/searchresult11192/zdrv_400.sfs
zdrv_400.sfs /zdrv_400.sfs

What does this all mean? To me it doesn't make sense.

Now here is the klincher; when I go into Menu =>Multimedia =>Alsamixer it just flashes really quick on screen and goes away. It does that everytime. The little speaker on the taskbar isn't present and of course there is no sound.

Any suggestions as how I should proceed from here?

Thanx,

Geo>>

That was my response.

So apparently it seems that Puppy IS seeing the sound device. But for some reason it doesn't know what to do with it. Given that everything seems to be there that my friend, Graham, mentioned, I am wondering what I should do next. What should I do with the snd-mona.ko file? Why isn't Alsamixer working, and most of all, how come I don't have sound?

I will say I am MUCH further along in getting this card to work in Puppy than I am in Ubuntu. Ubuntu will not even see the card. But there is a procedure in the Ubuntu forums (and on the ALSA website) that I have still yet to try.

I have not tried it here because I don't know my way around the Puppy Console. It works much differently than Ubuntu's terminal.

Anyway, some assistance would be much appreciated.

Thank You,

Geo