OpenSSL and OpenSSH

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Gekko

OpenSSL and OpenSSH

#1 Post by Gekko »

This isn't your usual .pet. This is a .tar.gz that contains 3 files:
  • ~ openssl-0.9.8e
    ~ openssh-4.6p1
    ~ openetc.sh
Just untar openssl-openssh.tar.gz to your /root and click openetc.sh. It will automatically compile and install both apps. BUT I can't remember if it needs libcrypto before hand, so if it does, let me know and I'll fix you up.

REQUIRES DEVX_xxx.sfs (where xxx is your puppy version.) This can be acquired at ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/. Just place it next to your pup_save.2fs, NOT INSIDE it, next to it, the place in which it is saved.

http://etc.bbqsrc.org/openssl-openssh.tar.gz

Take care and enjoy your random sshd and rlogin replacementness. OpenSSL does not replace Mozilla NSS, which I believe it should, but it is "incompatible with the GPL" so whatever, stupid BSD-GPL incompatibilities, but I digress.

mechvent

SSHD?

#2 Post by mechvent »

Thanks so much for this. Compiled and installed beautifully on 215CE.
How do I get the server running? I can find sshd-config but can't figure out a way to make it go?
yes I am new to linux and enjoying it. I am sure it is something quite simple!
Thanks again for this little gem.

telemetric_au

#3 Post by telemetric_au »

here on puppy 4 a5:

Code: Select all

echo test normal x509v1 certificate
test normal x509v1 certificate
sh ./tx509 2>/dev/null
testing X509 conversions
p -> d
make[1]: *** [test_x509] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/initrd/mnt/dev_save/root/openssl-openssh/openssl-0.9.8e/test'
make: *** [tests] Error 2
# 

Spanky

#4 Post by Spanky »

mechvent

This will start the ssh server on boot.

in /etc/rc.d/rc.local append the line

Code: Select all

/usr/sbin/sshd
I was going to explain adding a client and configuring the server for passphrase authentication (stronger than using just a password), but I realized that I don't know enough to explain it properly.

I found http://suso.org/docs/shell/ssh.sdf to be a helpful document. There are many more.

I've got it running (miraculously), so maybe I can answer questions relating to my installation.

Spanky