Airlink AWLC3028 Wireless Card Troubles

snowshaker

Airlink AWLC3028 Wireless Card Troubles

#1 Post by snowshaker »

Having trouble configuring an Airlink AWLC3028 in a COmpaq 1230 laptop. It does work in Win98 and appears to be recognized as WLAN0.

No luck getting the PuppyLinux wizard to configure it for WPA2 with a broadcast ID. Played around with the Security Open/Restricted. Managed, AdHoc, etc buttons.

I haven't tried putting my router into Open mode and seeing if it can connect w/o a password yet.

tempestuous

#2 Post by tempestuous »

First, it's important to reveal the version of Puppy you are using when asking for help, because these technical issues are often kernel-specific. I will assume you are using Puppy 4.0. But if you are using one of the Puppy 4.1alphas, then this information is completely irrelevant.

Apparently the Airlink AWLC3028 has a Realtek RTL8185 chipset, which is supported by the "r8180" driver in Puppy 3.x and 4.0. But the standard r8180 driver does not support WPA encryption. For WPA support you need the upgraded Realtek wifi drivers I provided here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 470#144470

First try rtl8180-0.22-Belkin-k2.6.21.7.pet
If it doesn't work then try rtl8185-proprietary-k2.6.21.7.pet

Make sure you reboot after installing a new driver.

snowshaker

#3 Post by snowshaker »

I appreciate your reply, tempertuous! I have tried the first file, rtl8180-0.22-Belkin-k2.6.2,1.7.pet, but no success yet.

A few questions, if I may, before trying the second file. .Although I select WPA2, the dialogue box mentions WPA in its responses . Is that a clue?

And on these three options in the wizard, what would be correct for WPA2 with a broadcast SSID?

mode:
[x] Managed [ ] Ad Hoc

security:
[x] open [ ] restricted

AP
[ ]supplic [ ]driver [X] hidden

tempestuous

#4 Post by tempestuous »

snowshaker wrote:what would be correct for WPA2 with a broadcast SSID?
Download the latest Network Wizard upgrade from here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31522
The "AP Scan" values are now understandable:
"Hidden SSID" "Broadcast SSID" "Driver"

With the rtl8180-0.22-Belkin-k2.6.21.7.pet driver package, first ensure that the WPA2 encryption module is loaded before running the Wizard, by running this command:

Code: Select all

modprobe ieee80211_crypt_ccmp-rtl

snowshaker

#5 Post by snowshaker »

I think I hosed up my saved laptop settings trying to to update the wizard, so I plan to start over and try again with the new driver and mod probe command. But first I want to get that silly card running without any encryption ... as soon as I can find some cables and stuff to add my old non-WPA router to my current one.

Thanks for the help!.