Dingo 4.1 Beta retro (2.6.21.7 kernel)

Please post any bugs you have found
BarryK
Puppy Master

#46 Post by BarryK »

otropogo wrote:I'd like to start my day by saying something positive about Puppy..

So here it is - after months of looking at it for hours a day, I still like the desktop theme from Puppy 4.0. And that's uncommon.

It's also a very decent background for icons., which is an important factor to consider.

And it seems to me that, to avoid confusion between 4.0 and 4.1, a small, transparent,preferably resizable and movable, version number (ie. like a watermark) somewhere on the periphery would suffice.

I find the bicyclist image of the 4.1 alphas much less uplifting (diplomacy mode=off).

For me, the fact that the sfs files of Retro versions have the same name as those of the standard versions is more bothersome. Is it impossible to add "R" to the retro sfs file, as in Pup_401R.sfs??
Yes, there should be something else in the naming to distinguish between different builds of the same version, however for now that is a big ask, as it will affect many scripts -- perhaps can put that on the to-do list for 4.2.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Pupdial touchup, etc.

#47 Post by BarryK »

rerwin wrote:On my Athlon XP 2200+ PC, Pupdial sometimes displays the "Connect to Internet" and "Disconnect from Internet" buttons inappropriately. Their visibility is controlled by a "pidof wvdial" command that detects whether the dialer process has terminated. However, termination appears to take about 0.2 seconds. Slow PCs seem to consume that time, so the buttons are set correctly. But faster machines sometimes execute that command sooner than the 0.2 seconds and cause the button visibilities to be set incorrectly. Replacing line 70 with the following solves the problem:

Code: Select all

if [ "`pidof pppd`" != "" ];then #v409
 [ ! -f /etc/ppp/peers/wvdial ] && sleep 0.3 #v409 allow kill completion and repeat test
 [ "`pidof pppd`" != "" ] && STATECONb="enabled"
fi #v409
Unrelated to that, I discovered that modemprobe contains the set of modem driver names. The DGC modem should be represented here. The following should be inserted into line 15:

|^dgcusbdcp 
Difference files are attached for these changes.

To attempt to avoid a "regression" from 4.0 regarding detection of modems currently defined only in MODULESCONFIG, and not actually being associated with their drivers, I am creating a rudimentaty script to identify the needed drivers and to list them for the user to manually load using the BootManager. I assume there is a better way to support them, but addressing them is apparently being deferred. I will attach it when I complete it, for inclusion in the final so users of those modems are not abandoned.
Richard

EDIT: My workaround for the inability of P4.1 to detect modems previously found through entries in /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG is attached. The command-line script, "listdriver", uses its own copy of the modem-related entries from MODULESCONFIG to identify drivers corresponding to the hardware addresses it contains. New entries can be added as the need arises.

It checks both PCI and USB hardware and produces the following kind of output:

Intel Corporation 536EP Data Fax Modem
  may need this module added through BootManager:  Intel536
  unless already loaded automatically.

Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Modem Controller
  may need this module added through BootManager:  slamr

ST7554 USB Modem
  may need this module added through BootManager:  slusb

EHCI Host Controller
  may need this module added through BootManager:  dummy
For testing, I made two fictional mapping entries. The first two examples are PCI modems in actual use. The others are simulated USB entries. The "ST7554" entry is for my USB modem, which is already recognized without the script; its name is obtained from the "driver=" entry in /proc/bus/usb/devices, since there is no "Product=" information. The final example shows the name taken from the "Product=" entry, although it is not a modem and would not normally be displayed.

The script does not change anything; it just displays the driver if it finds a match in its mapping list. I suggest the script be included in the final, for those needing support for those modems: Intel536, Intel537, some ThinkPads. I request that anyone with a modem that should be added please post the vendor and device IDs and the driver that works.
Richard
Ok, all done.
I have placed 'listdriver' at /usr/sbin.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#48 Post by BarryK »

Lobster wrote::oops:
Oh gosh
Here is the file
Hope it helps :shock:

EXTRASFSMNTPT=/initrd/mnt/dev_save
ALLSFSLIST=devx_400.sfs firefox-3.b.5-flash-java_301.sfs K-Office_400.sfs  Application Data History Temporary Internet Files 
ALLSFSLIST= Application Data History Temporary Internet Files
DLGLIST= Application Application off Data Data off History History off Temporary Temporary off Internet Internet off Files Files off
Ah ha! Yes, thanks for that. Now I know how to fix it!

Fishy

#49 Post by Fishy »

Tried retro kernel in both full install and frugal install with the same result. No recognition of optical drives! CD/DVD wizard shows no devices and selecting only brings up an X-dialog screen.

ASUS P5K
Pentium Dual Core
Samsung sata DVD burner.

I am regretting the upgrade from my old Athalon box. :cry:

dogone

Dingo1 full resolution

#50 Post by dogone »

Barry,

Here's the best representation of Dingo1 I can find. It's unfortunately one of the least sharp of the group.

The image appears to originate at fraserisland.info, but Google informs that the site has a bad track record re malware. I'm therefore unable to determine the precise source of this image. It may be freely available and it may not. Google for "frasier island dingo" and you'll find a number of dingo images - some very nice indeed. As to determining availability, over to you.

Flickr.com also has some outstanding Dingo shots:
http://flickr.com/search/?q=dingo

Perhaps you can reach this photographer.
http://flickr.com/photos/lotsabushes/se ... 550864571/

Here's my favorite.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lotsabushes/2416112644/
Attachments
dingo1_full.jpg
(138.86 KiB) Downloaded 352 times

linuxcbon

#51 Post by linuxcbon »

From pkg_chooser.sh, I installed sockspy-2.5 (ok it's official puppy2) and it then downloaded other progs like combobox, tcl/tk ftp, etc. I cannot uninstall them.

Strange thing, when phone cable removed, so no DSL, got dhcp running, but programs like seamonkey, ROX, take a long time to open.

absvolume icon is not displayed.

# absvolume 
Error opening mixer device

rerwin

USB flash drive not detected on old Thinkpad

#52 Post by rerwin »

Flash drives were detected during initialization and by pmount is 4.00 on my Thinkpad i1720. But sometime in the development of the 4.1 alphas the drives were no longer seen at all. Below are the relevant message logs for 4.08 and 4.0, for comparison. I don't see that anyone else has reported this.
4.08Retro:
user.info kernel: USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v3.0
user.warn kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKD] enabled at IRQ 11
user.info kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:02.2[D] -> Link [LNKD] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
user.info kernel: ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:02.2 disabled
user.err kernel: uhci_hcd 0000:00:02.2: init 0000:00:02.2 fail, -16
user.warn kernel: uhci_hcd: probe of 0000:00:02.2 failed with error -16
user.info kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
user.info kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
user.info kernel: USB Mass Storage support registered.
user.info kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver hiddev
user.info kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
user.info kernel: drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.6:USB HID core driver
4.00:
user.info kernel: PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 0000:00:02.2
user.info kernel: uhci_hcd 0000:00:02.2: UHCI Host Controller
user.info kernel: uhci_hcd 0000:00:02.2: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
user.info kernel: uhci_hcd 0000:00:02.2: irq 11, io base 0x0000fce0
user.info kernel: usb usb1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
user.info kernel: hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
user.info kernel: hub 1-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
user.info kernel: usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
user.info kernel: usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
user.info kernel: scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
user.debug kernel: usb-storage: device found at 2
user.debug kernel: usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
I hope someone can recognize the problem from these logs. This occurs on both kernel versions of 4.08.
Richard

EDIT - additional info:
From pupscan:
DESCRIPTION: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 7112 KERNEL MODULE: uhci-hcd

From lspci -vv:
00:02.2 Class 0c03: 8086:7112 (rev 01)
>4.08> Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<4.00< Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
Status: Cap- 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
<4.00< Latency: 64
Interrupt: pin D routed to IRQ 11
Region 4: I/O ports at fce0
This shows the difference between the lspci -vv listings for the USB controller. Note that the "busmaster parameter is minus (-) for 4.08, instead of plus (+), and that the "Latency" parameter is absent from the 4.08R listing. I hope this is a clue.
Richard

EDIT: Test on different PC:
I am now running 4.08 on a 400 MHz PC with the same USB controller as the Thinkpad. The USB flash drive is detected and usable! The TP is 266MHz. Both have 256MB RAM and no swap partition. Could the speed difference account for the detection failure? Just a thought. Does anyone else have detection problems on slow machines?
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Mon 22 Sep 2008, 21:09, edited 2 times in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: USB flash drive not detected on old Thinkpad

#53 Post by BarryK »

rerwin wrote:Flash drives were detected during initialization and by pmount is 4.00 on my Thinkpad i1720. But sometime in the development of the 4.1 alphas the drives were no longer seen at all. Below are the relevant message logs for 4.08 and 4.0, for comparison. I don't see that anyone else has reported this.
4.08Retro:
user.warn kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKD] enabled at IRQ 11
user.info kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:02.2[D] -> Link [LNKD] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
user.info kernel: ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:02.2 disabled
user.err kernel: uhci_hcd 0000:00:02.2: init 0000:00:02.2 fail, -16
user.warn kernel: uhci_hcd: probe of 0000:00:02.2 failed with error -16
4.00:
user.info kernel: PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 0000:00:02.2
user.info kernel: uhci_hcd 0000:00:02.2: UHCI Host Controller
user.info kernel: uhci_hcd 0000:00:02.2: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
user.info kernel: uhci_hcd 0000:00:02.2: irq 11, io base 0x0000fce0
user.info kernel: usb usb1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
user.info kernel: hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
user.info kernel: hub 1-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
user.info kernel: usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
user.info kernel: usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
user.info kernel: scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
user.debug kernel: usb-storage: device found at 2
user.debug kernel: usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
I hope someone can recognize the problem from these logs. This occurs on both kernel versions of 4.08.
Richard

EDIT - additional info:
From pupscan:
DESCRIPTION: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 7112 KERNEL MODULE: uhci-hcd

From lspci -vv:
00:02.2 Class 0c03: 8086:7112 (rev 01)
>4.08> Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<4.00< Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
Status: Cap- 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
<4.00< Latency: 64
Interrupt: pin D routed to IRQ 11
Region 4: I/O ports at fce0
This shows the difference between the lspci -vv listings for the USB controller. Note that the "busmaster parameter is minus (-) for 4.08, instead of plus (+), and that the "Latency" parameter is absent from the 4.08R listing. I hope this is a clue.
Richard

EDIT: Test on different PC:
I am now running 4.08 on a 400 MHz PC with the same USB controller as the Thinkpad. The USB flash drive is detected and usable! The TP is 266MHz. Could the speed difference account for the detection failure? Just a thought. Does anyone else have detection problems on slow machines?
Richard
I'm puzzled by this. USB drives are detected in the initial ramdisk, when the /init script is running, and that script is pretty much the same in 4.00 and the 4.1 alphas.
Comparing the code, first here is the code in init script in 4.00:

USB="" ; MODUSB="" ; ATADRIVES="" ; SATADRIVES=""
[ "`elspci -l | grep '0C0300'`" != "" ] && MODUSB="$MODUSB uhci"
[ "`elspci -l | grep '0C0310'`" != "" ] && MODUSB="$MODUSB ohci"
[ "`elspci -l | grep '0C0320'`" != "" ] && MODUSB="$MODUSB ehci"
if [ "$MODUSB" != "" ];then
 modprobe usbcore
 if [ $? -eq 0 ];then
  sleep 1
  for ONE in $MODUSB
  do
   modprobe $ONE-hcd && USB="1"
   [ "$USB" = "1" ] && [ "$ONE" = "ehci" ] && USB="2"
  done
  #v3.97 /proc/ide: any /dev/sd drives will be sata at this time...
  #v3.97 libata pata: any /dev/sd* hard drives will be sata or ide at this time...
  ATADRIVES="`cat /proc/partitions | grep "sd[a-z]$" | tr -s " " | cut -f 5 -d " " | tr "\n" " "`"
  if [ "$USB" != "" ];then 
   modprobe usb-storage & #run as separate process
   WAITUSB="yes"
   mount -t usbfs none /proc/bus/usb
   modprobe usbhid #for a usb keyboard.
  fi
 fi
fi
And here is the code in 4.1beta (and alphas):

USB="" ; MODUSB="" ; ATADRIVES="" ; SATADRIVES=""
[ "`elspci -l | grep '0C0300'`" != "" ] && MODUSB="$MODUSB uhci"
[ "`elspci -l | grep '0C0310'`" != "" ] && MODUSB="$MODUSB ohci"
[ "`elspci -l | grep '0C0320'`" != "" ] && MODUSB="$MODUSB ehci"
if [ "$MODUSB" != "" ];then
 modprobe usbcore
 RETVAL=$?
 sleep 1
 #v3.97 /proc/ide: any /dev/sd drives will be sata at this time...
 #v3.97 libata: any /dev/sd* hard drives will be sata or ide at this time...
 ATADRIVES="`cat /proc/partitions | grep "sd[a-z]$" | tr -s " " | cut -f 5 -d " " | tr "\n" " "`"
 #ATADRIVES="`ls -1 /sys/block | grep '^sd' | tr '\n' ' '`"
 if [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ];then
  for ONE in $MODUSB
  do
   modprobe $ONE-hcd && USB="1"
   [ "$USB" = "1" ] && [ "$ONE" = "ehci" ] && USB="2"
  done
  if [ "$USB" != "" ];then 
   modprobe usb-storage & #run as separate process
   WAITUSB="yes"
   mount -t usbfs none /proc/bus/usb
   modprobe usbhid #for a usb keyboard.
  fi
 fi
else #old pre-usb PC.
 sleep 1 #maybe not necessary. also see above, taking advantage of 1sec sleep.
 #ATADRIVES="`ls -1 /sys/block | grep '^sd' | tr '\n' ' '`"
fi
...so what do you reckon? Any way that that 'sleep 1' being in a slightly different place could cause any trouble? ...I don't see how.

dogone

408 retro fine on Thinkpad 600E

#54 Post by dogone »

Just a note to report that 4.1 beta retro boots from CD and runs just fine on my IBM Thinkpad 600E. I've yet to install it (frugal install on CF card) but expect little trouble. Wireless networking failed until I employed Superscan, but Network Wizard is a work in progress. No sound, despite ALSA Wizard "success".

4.1 beta "standard" does not boot on this machine. Progress stops when Puppy begins searching all drives for it's files (despite pfix=ram). So the earlier kernel is imperative to using 4.1 in the 600e.

I'm presently using 2.17 on the Thinkpad so 4.1 will be a tremendous step forward. Thanks for the support!

rerwin

Re: USB flash drive not detected on old Thinkpad

#55 Post by rerwin »

Barry,
Thanks for your quick response and information. After fiddling with initrd.gz and Pizzasgood's tip on editing it, I discovered that my acpi=force parameter on the Thinkpad is at fault.

I use acpi=force on most of my PCs and assumed it was used in the TP. But the grub entry for 4.00 does not have it; I automatically used it for my 4.1 entries -- it had no effect other than what I reported. So all is well with it removed.

On the other hand, my Toshiba Equium that I used for comparison does have it (and detects the flash drive). But removing it has no impact there either.

So, now we know that acpi=force can sometimes prevent USB detection, at least on Thinkpads. I see that there are drivers thinkpad_acpi and toshiba_acpi that might account for the difference in behavior, although I don't see them as loaded. Sorry for jerking you around about this.
Richard

Tigger1

#56 Post by Tigger1 »

After using 4.01 for about 2 weeks now on the MSI Wind U-100 I can say this is should be what every netbook should be using.The intel atom chip and puppy were made for oneanother.All hardware is usable and the best part of it is I can now use my Sierra wireless card.(3-G) card.No other Linux distro out at this time has that feature.Sidex and umbunto have that feature but still only a work in progress. Thank you Puppy Team and users for a perfect replacement to Windows.My small home company uses 7 netbooks daily,(EEEpc-MSI Wind) in the field for uploading plan changes and revisions,and now with 4.1 and gps we have decided to scrap and delete all windows OS for puppy. Now to get puppy to run my Slingbox and i'll replace windows at home next.AGAIN THANK YOU BERRY and PUPPY USERS.

dogle

#57 Post by dogle »

I've experienced stalling of the boot when testing a particular USB wifi adaptor - this happens in 4.1retro beta, but not the straight 4.1 beta. More details in the wifi hardware thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=11277[/url]

brymway

#58 Post by brymway »

I am running 4.1 retro off a live cd with the save file to partition hda3. Using a laptop with 1.5 Ghz pentium and 1 gig ram. I am using retro because the standard version made my sound disappear. I was using 4.0 forever and it ran flawless as far as I could tell. Retro was working great until about 30 minutes ago. I have made a few changes to the appearance for personal likings. I have the toolbar on top, I have added six buttons for the programs I use the most. I have deleted all the icons off the desktop except for the hot-icons (the drive/mount/unmount icons)
I was using pcdripper to rip a cd, I had one partition mounted and I was using pmetatagger to re-tag some songs. I would periodically check a song using gzine to check and make sure it would play right. Then my desktop crashed. Everything black, cd stopped. Had to hold the power button to turn it off, then press it again to turn it on and slip the boot cd in it to load it up. I chose my normal file when it asked me for a file to load up, then the window that tells me the X shutdown uncleanly and I "ignored" and the desktop came up. Only I now have a white background, a 'home' icon in the top left corner, all the "hot" icons are stacked on top of one another in the bottom left corner and a window that says

Error saving pinboard /root/Choices/Rox-Filer/PuppyPin: Input/output error
I click the ok button and things are fine, until I try to move one of the icons and then after I move it, the error window comes up again. I can click on the hot icon and it mounts and things seem normal but I sense something else is wrong. Any thoughts?
[url]http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html[/url]

friednoodle

Didiwiki

#59 Post by friednoodle »

I have tried Didiwiki in 4.1 retro and 4.1 with 2.6.25 kernel and neither
save pages. 3.01 works fine. Tested on three machines.
Other than this all releases have worked perfectly for me
except for one machine requiring manual power off. Puppy
never ceases to impress me beyond words.