Are most derivatives created using the CD remaster tool?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Brinson

Are most derivatives created using the CD remaster tool?

#1 Post by Brinson »

Does this tool create an exact replica of the puppy you are using when you do it?

Does it have any limitations, known disadvantages, ect?

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

I've only used it a couple times, so take what I say with a bowl of salt. It basically tries to mimic your system, minus any hardware specific customizations. It skips certain files and directories. I think the one people have issues with most is /etc but I'm not sure about that. Possibly some of the hidden directories in /root are skipped (you can see hidden stuff by clicking the "eye" icon on the file manager's toolbar). I also doubt it copies /dev, so if you added new device nodes it won't include them (most people don't ever change /dev, but I need to in order to use my Wacom tablet).

There is a point in the script where it pauses and says that you can go into /tmp/<something-or-other>/ to modify the filesystem. At that point you can copy in any stuff it skipped that you want.

I tend to think the remaster script is like trying to change a tire as you drive down the road, so I usually use Unleashed, which is more like obtaining and having to operate a lift, without prior training and only a brief manual. But once you get the hang of it, you put the car up on the lift and can get in underneath, and things get much simpler to deal with, IMHO.

Also the packages are contained to their own directories, so you can tell what belongs to what. You get to add/remove things on a package-by-package basis.

But if all you need is a quick custom job so you can have a cd that can boot on any random computer and already have Firefox or whatever customizations, then you probably want to use the remaster script. It's less work for a quick job.

Unleashed is best suited for if you're going to be doing a long-term project.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

8-bit

#3 Post by 8-bit »

In my time here, I have seen a lot of Puppy Derivatives come and go.
I do not consider a Puppy that has had it's background and icons changed to be a true Derivative. Features not found in stock Puppys, and the removal of little used duplicated programs make it better.
This also includes device driver support additions and cleanup of programs that insist on multiple windows popping up as they progress.
I could site the Puppy installation as an example.
You get windows popping up and disappearing with no indication of progress. The installation for example has quite a pause with no indication of what is going on before control is passed to the GRUB part of it.
It looks like a hackers distro that was never cleaned up.

I DO LIKE PUPPY! But I thought I would throw my thoughts on appearance in here for those in future development of Puppy.