WakeUSB - make old PC's boot Puppy from USB - please test :)

News, happenings
kethd

#16 Post by kethd »

wassadude wrote:Hi tested the WakeUSB today (Floppy image) and I get an Error - it gets to the stage of saying

'ASPI Manager for USB mass-storage Version 2.20'

then alot of output - then the last thing is says is

'Installed ASPI manager.'

then the error of

'Bad or missin Command Interpreter
Enter the full shell command line:
command.com /P /E:256'
<snip>
Any ideas?
I think I experienced that msg in my experiments. I think it means that FreeDOS has switched from processing the original boot floppy to another device, and is not finding what it expects, and thus crashing.
You can experience this by attaching a USB floppy drive. WakeUSB will discover the USB floppy and switch to it. In most cases this will cause a crash. But if you put a copy of the boot floppy in that drive, it will just continue processing!
Unfortunately, the USB floppy becomes A:, and the original boot drive disappears. Too bad. If this could get both drives working at once, it might have some use.

pakt

#17 Post by pakt »

kethd wrote:
wassadude wrote:Hi tested the WakeUSB today (Floppy image) and I get an Error - it gets to the stage of saying

'ASPI Manager for USB mass-storage Version 2.20'

then alot of output - then the last thing is says is

'Installed ASPI manager.'

then the error of

'Bad or missin Command Interpreter
Enter the full shell command line:
command.com /P /E:256'
<snip>
Any ideas?
I think I experienced that msg in my experiments. I think it means that FreeDOS has switched from processing the original boot floppy to another device, and is not finding what it expects, and thus crashing.
You can experience this by attaching a USB floppy drive. WakeUSB will discover the USB floppy and switch to it. In most cases this will cause a crash. But if you put a copy of the boot floppy in that drive, it will just continue processing!
Unfortunately, the USB floppy becomes A:, and the original boot drive disappears. Too bad. If this could get both drives working at once, it might have some use.
Hmm, that's interesting. Perhaps you could try this: there is a switch you can add to the USBASPI driver ( /w ) that allows you to switch the USB devices. It will pause to let you remove the USB floppy, then connect a Puppy USB flash drive instead and just press enter to continue.

Let us know if it works :)

kethd

some extended experiences trying WakeUSB

#18 Post by kethd »

See this for some extended experiences trying WakeUSB:
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=3991
Post subject: WakeUSB report - some partial success