Puppy runs under...

Booting, installing, newbie
iPod

Puppy runs under...

#1 Post by iPod »

I'd like to know what I'd click if I were to download a program for linux to run under puppy. For example:

It would show a list of downloads for linux as:

Red Hat: Download here
Mandrake: Download here
Dubian: Download here

Etc...

Which one, if any, would I click? o.O
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/G00D/ipod.bmp[/img]

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#2 Post by nduanetesh »

Just to be sure that we're understanding your question...

you're looking at download links for a certain piece of software, and it has been compiled to work with several distributions, so you're asking us which distribution download you should use to be able to run the program on puppy? is that correct?

I believe the definitive answer is "none of them". puppy is built from scratch, so doesn't share the same architecture as any other distro. BUT, there are a couple to which puppy is somewhat similar (Slackware is one, I believe, and possibly Mandrake?), so you could try those...but I think the chances of success are pretty slim.

To get additional software for puppy (that isn't included on the Cd), you could go to the PupGet package manager found on puppy's start menu, and choose from the list of available packages, or you can go to the "additional software" section of this forum and download some Dotpup packages which you can find posted there.

ND

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#3 Post by JohnMurga »

Errr
I believe the definitive answer is "none of them".
I have a lot of luck downloading Mandrake RPMs and extracting them with rpm2cpio, the main thing to watch for are the dependencies.

The thing is that it is a manual process, with a fair amount of faffing about involved.

Cheers
JohnM

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

These are all package managers /installers

# Furballs or tarballs (or something)
# apt-get install (Debian and derivatives)
# RPM (Red Hat Package manager)
# Synaptic
# Klik
# Portage (used by Gentoo and the semi-commercial VLOS)
# Yum (Fedora and RedHat)
# Autopackage

Puppy has two which will be merged BUT what would it take for us to use/integrate with something like klik?

When do we start?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D