Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 23 Nov 2017, 07:28
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
playflash (mediaplayer instead slow player in your browser)
Moderators: deshlab, Flash, GuestToo, Ian, JohnMurga, Lobster
Page 2 of 4 [49 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
swiatmar

PostPosted: Sun 25 Oct 2009, 07:17    Post subject:  

ok Smile
everything is fine now- it is working Smile
regards mar
stifiling

PostPosted: Mon 26 Oct 2009, 05:29    Post subject:  

what did you do to get it to work? went back to flash 9? that's the solution that's working for me. do you have it working w/flash 10??
mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 26 Oct 2009, 09:12    Post subject:  

Quote:
what did you do to get it to work? went back to flash 9? that's the solution that's working for me. do you have it working w/flash 10??

we since with some sites they seem to be using a new option of streaming media to ram rather than disk so that would most likely be the reason.....just means more use of internet bandwidth really

mike
swiatmar

PostPosted: Wed 28 Oct 2009, 11:03    Post subject:  

yes-it works on my puppy with flash 10. But I'm using xine instead of mplayer. Somehow mplayer doesn't work.
stifiling

PostPosted: Fri 27 Nov 2009, 23:48    Post subject:  

I've got this back working so nicely that i had to share. using flash 10.

I'm using the seamonkey 2.0 browser, and installed the greasemonkey add on from:
http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmisc.html#greasemonkey

also this youtube userscript which adds "&fmt=18" automatically to the end of each youtube url. what that does is download the file to your /tmp folder as mp4, rather then flv and it can now be opened in VLC. got the youtube userscript from:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/29881

this in my opinion is the best way to do youtube. it's not cumbersome like those downloaders...nor do you have to experience the choppiness that we're all too familiar with.

i couldn't get it to work in xine, gxine, or mplayer.

playflash.pet + seamonkey/firefox + greasemonkey add on + youtube userscript + VLC = clear, easy, and fast youtube viewing.

maybe not too easy, but for people using linux....definitely not hard.
ecomoney

PostPosted: Sun 29 Nov 2009, 11:07    Post subject:  

MU, a fantastic contribution. Its issues like this that really make a difference to your average computer user. Not only do you have the skills Mark you consistently apply them in the places theyre needed most! Flash is particularly troublesome and buggy on older computers essentially limits the lowest age at which a computer can become a useful to a family family.

Unfortunately, I also cannot get it working, but am happy to do an testing.

Using 4.3.1 standard, I installed the .pet from the first post. I reset X as per the instructions (ctrl-alt-backspace then xwin). When viewing youtube videos, gxine started (as well as the flash video on the youtube page), but the gxine after displaying "starting...) for a few seconds failed to play the video, with the play button subsequently becoming greyed out.

Keep up the good work mark, let me know if you need any more testing.

Rob

Sorry, my server is down atm!
mikeb

PostPosted: Sun 29 Nov 2009, 14:48    Post subject:  

Ecomoney you tube now obfusticate the codec requirements of flv movies directly from many downloads to prevent mediaplayers working.
If the flv is downloaded using something like cclive or similar it works...or you can get the mp4......perhaps this idea needs reapproaching to deal with this.
Also as mentioned flash 10 can stream to ram so that there is no file in tmp on some sites. certainly there have been code changes on you tube as I'm getting crashes that did not used to happen. Sad .

How about a website that takes the you tube page and converts the code to present the video in a form suitable for media players using php or javascript

mike
ecomoney

PostPosted: Mon 07 Dec 2009, 04:14    Post subject:  

Cheers Mike

Lets hope youtube adopt open video standards soon and we can do away with flash altogether..doubt they will though as they have to tow the line to the music companies.

This is a similar project Yim has done to play movies using mplayer...I havnt tested it.

http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=369655&sid=3e6425e60298006be8cbeae6ffaf478a#369655

Quote:
How about a website that takes the you tube page and converts the code to present the video in a form suitable for media players using php or javascript

That would be www.kickyoutube.com. This is very elegant and simple, simply go to the address bar of the video you want to download and inster the word "kick" between the "http://www." and the "youtube.com/blah blah blah". Its does mp4 and mp3. Its something I show all my home clients.

Sorry, my server is down atm!
swiatmar

PostPosted: Mon 22 Feb 2010, 15:39    Post subject:  

I was wondering if there is a way to put some script that will automatically stop(break) playing the original flash video on the Internet page? I have to stop the original video every time and my laptop is very old. so it doesn't really respond right all the time when I try to stop the web page flash video....
technosaurus

PostPosted: Mon 22 Feb 2010, 16:07    Post subject:  

flashblock or noscript?
swiatmar

PostPosted: Mon 22 Feb 2010, 16:43    Post subject:  

This is not really what I am looking for:)
Sorry for my english Smile
I will try again:
I am using flashblock anyway. But for example : If I go to youtube and let the flasblock play my video, than after 5 seconds playflash let gxine play this video. Okey-now I have to stop the original video on youtube page, because otherwise I have 2 videos playing, and for all double sound. So. I was looking for someting, that would stop playing automaticly the video on the youtube or other viewed page.
I think there is a way to do it with greasemonkey (write some small script), but I am using opera....
greengeek

PostPosted: Thu 07 May 2015, 05:39    Post subject:  

Is it possible to make a static Firefox (3.x??) that runs an old version of flash (9.x??) so that I can use it on Slacko 5.6 to hold the flash file in /tmp like they used to in the old days?

I currently switch to an old version of puppy if I want to save flash files from /tmp (as Slacko 5.6 hides them somewhere else) but I would like to have the option of staying in Slacko 5.6 and running a different version of Firefox without worrying about it "infecting" or altering the usual Firefox (17.0.8 ESR) that is part of Slacko.
01micko

PostPosted: Thu 07 May 2015, 05:51    Post subject:  

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-slacko/firefox_namoroka-3.6.28-s.pet

That was compiled by me for thin slacko (you have that one). Should work OK. If you don't want to kill your current firefox, crack open the pet and move it to /opt/firefox (from /usr/lib/firefox) and adjust the scripts and icons accordingly.

Probably best to have one run as 'spot' so you don't corrupt the user profile. I have an old pet somewhere that does that, just do a search (actually it will run as any 'user' you want and link back to /mnt/home too).

Last edited by 01micko on Thu 07 May 2015, 05:54; edited 1 time in total
mikeb

PostPosted: Thu 07 May 2015, 05:52    Post subject:  

If you put the plugin in firefox's own plugin folder rather than the shared mozilla you will probably find that works.

mike
mikeb

PostPosted: Thu 07 May 2015, 06:11    Post subject:  

--no-remote will run a separate instance... and you can specify a profile too.

sneaky pre posts in there Very Happy

mike
Page 2 of 4 [49 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Jump to: