Logitech keyboard/mouse

Using applications, configuring, problems
mjg

Logitech keyboard/mouse

#1 Post by mjg »

I'm lucky enough to have two main computers at my home/office and I like to run Puppy on both of them for personal web browsing and email.

One computer is outside in a dark, cold room, and with winter coming on here in the Australian Alps I'm happy to abandon it and shift inside.

Today I moved my Logitech remote mouse and keyboard inside. To my pleasant surprise, Mepis picked up the new hardware on plugin, without a reboot. Windows hung for a couple of minutes before starting.

Puppy recognised this hardware on the previous computer, but not on the "inside" one. Puppy boots here without the mouse or keyboard working.

What do I need to do to get this hardware recognised?

Hopefully it doesn't involve shifting the puppy files because most of my bookmarks and programs are on this computer.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

you should be able to boot Puppy, kill X windows if it is running by pressing ctrl+alt+backspace, then type:

rm /etc/mousedevice

then type startx to start X windows again

if it doesn't work, maybe typing:
rm /etc/mousedevice
then pressing ctrl+alt+del to reboot might work

mjg

#3 Post by mjg »

Thanks. Unfortunately I couldn't get that to work, possibly because the keyboard wasn't being recognised and I had to connect the old one to type the commands.

I've switched back to the old keyboard and mouse for now.

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#4 Post by nduanetesh »

In switching between mice and keyboards on your inside computer, are you also switching connection types? Meaning, is one of your mouse/keyboard combinations USB and the other PS/2? If puppy is expecting one and you plug in the other, you will find your hardware suddenly not working. Also, have you switched versions of puppy recently? Were you running 1.0.1 on the outside computer and 1.0.2 on the inside (or something like that)?

mjg

#5 Post by mjg »

How does one become an ultra super stud?

I figured out that was the problem. Yes, the new keyboard had a USB connection. It also had a serial option, so I'm using that now and everything is sweet.

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#6 Post by nduanetesh »

One becomes an Ultra SuperStud by coming up with solutions like THAT! :wink: Actually, the process is dramatized here and continued here. As the Great Murga said, "If it was easy, it wouldn't be worth it." I keep expecting to be downgraded, though, as I've been finding it difficult lately to find forum posts which are within my realm of expertise...

Anyway, glad to see your keyboard and mouse now work!

ND