Puppy 4.1 official (2.6.25.16 kernel)

Please post any bugs you have found
ttuuxxx

#16 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hi, I guess one of my pet-peeves from 4.0 ended up in 4.10
The default puppy software manager should be petget, so You can rerun the dependency check, So many times I put together an application and have to check the libs a few times, So I manually have to change the icon on the desktop, from pupget to petget., Then it lets me check the libs again.
could we have a dependency check button on the newer puppy package manager? now that would be nice

Also the "mount" is nice with tabs, but who uses a floppy? shouldn't the main default be hard drive/cd/floppy tab.
That means everytime I want to view my hard drive partition, I have to click a tab first, hmmmmmm new extra step.

ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Sage

#17 Post by Sage »

who uses a floppy
Too many presumptions on this and most other fora from folks with go-faster stripes. In the real world, it aint like that; many users struggle along without any burner- some without a USB port.
Apart from which, yesterday, I think I only used the FDD apart from the spinning reserve on HD.

Update for SiS chipset no-poweroff feature. 4.1std also introduces the same new innovation of rebooting as retro. There are guys who must know the origin of this fault since early version shutdown properly as well as 4.1alpha6(?)-conservative. Allegedly, several laptops also exhibit the problem.

ttuuxxx

#18 Post by ttuuxxx »

Sage wrote:
who uses a floppy
Too many presumptions on this and most other fora from folks with go-faster stripes. In the real world, it aint like that; many users struggle along without any burner- some without a USB port.
Apart from which, yesterday, I think I only used the FDD apart from the spinning reserve on HD.

Update for SiS chipset no-poweroff feature. 4.1std also introduces the same new innovation of rebooting as retro. There are guys who must know the origin of this fault since early version shutdown properly as well as 4.1alpha6(?)-conservative. Allegedly, several laptops also exhibit the problem.
Hey Sage

most users of puppy use usb flash, hard drive, cd and lastly floppy(wake Pup mostly, but not for actual storage)
but anyways I'll just install the old pmount from 4.0
just kind of a pain the new way for a person who only runs live and doesn't save any settings.
ttuuxxx

Sage

#19 Post by Sage »

Begging to differ, my illustrious friend. Maybe correct in Ontario & Sydney but the masses of the great unwashed are using HW that wouldn't disgrace Mr Noah. You'd be amazed what passes for a PC in the great wide world.

ttuuxxx

#20 Post by ttuuxxx »

MUT doesn't work and when I tried to use MUT from 4.0 that didn't work also, So no-more MUT.
I always liked it for a backup. "Old Faithful". P mount from 4.0 works fine on 4.1 :)
ttuuxxx

DialupDude

#21 Post by DialupDude »

Sage
? 4.1 is the first puppy version that shutdown HAS worked for me on this SIS 630S beater.

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#22 Post by Billwho? »

If you wander a short way up the coast from Sydney you will find me using floppy discs to transfer files onto my job specific i486 laptop. If the file is too big for a floppy disc then it goes on a Smart Media card which then goes into a Flashpath floppy adapter (needs window$ but the job specific applications are all pure DOS programs anyway).
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.

linuxcbon

#23 Post by linuxcbon »

BarryK wrote:The firmwares will install into /lib/firmware when the 'dvb-usb' module loads the first time.
Didnt work.

Dougal

Re: Bugs

#24 Post by Dougal »

NathanO wrote: Even if I 'unload' the b43 and try and load the bcm43xx it will not see the wireless.
I think you also need to rmmod ssb, since that's the modules that's actually attached to the pci device.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

ICPUG

#25 Post by ICPUG »

KKTK,

I am not yet using 4.1 but the solution to your problem may be simple.

Puppy 4.0 required the .sfs files to be stored no more than 1 folder depth. I have seen nothing to say this has changed for 4.1.

I suggest you store all the files, vmlinuz, initrd.gz and the .sfs file in:
/puppy.410

NOT
/boot/puppy.410

The menu.lst file then becomes:

rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0) /puppy.410/vmlinuz PMEDIA=satahd PDEV1=sda1 psubdir=puppy.410
initrd (hd0,0) /puppy.410/initrd.gz
boot

Note that the root=/dev/ram0 parameter has not been needed for a long time and I have added PDEV1 to help puppy. The psubdir parameter is located on the same line as the kernel command.

ICPUG

KKTK

pup_410.sfs not found.

#26 Post by KKTK »

Tnx ICPUG for answer, but still no difference...
Actually all my sfs files are located directly in c:\ (and now also in c:\puppy.410 dir).

SOLVED!

Problem was that sfs file was UPPERCASE (in win in FAR Manager it looked lowercase :| )

now also psubdir= is working correctly and pup_save file is under puppy.410 dir. Thanks ICPUG!

davesurrey

Power-down fails with Sis chipset

#27 Post by davesurrey »

I can confim that both Puppy 4.0 and 4.1 fail to power-down my PC.

FWIW Mobo is K7S5A and chip set SiS 735. A "popular" board a few years back so there may be a lot still around.

davesurrey

wrong drive icon indication

#28 Post by davesurrey »

I've got 9 drive icons (partitions) on the desktop.

Whether I use Pmount or right click on the drive icon and select Unmount the text MNTD does not go away and just changes from Green to Yellow.

This only happens to the first of the drive icons!

Anyone care to confirm this as a bug?

MU

#29 Post by MU »

davesurrey
you cannot unmount the drive, that has pup_410.sfs on it.
It is mounted as /mnt/home, which is a symlink to /initrd/mnt/dev_save

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

Sage

#30 Post by Sage »

K7S5A and chip set SiS 735
Most popular board ever made by a very large margin, although it had/has it's idiosyncrasies! The 735 chipset was/is the fastest chipset ever marketed - everything, N. & S. bridge, integrated onto one piece of Si. Watch out for bad caps, though (http://www.badcaps.net/forum/index.php?) !
Presume millions out there still working as I've only seen a few for repair/upgrade.
748 was also an extremely successful chipset.
Both exhibit Barry's no-poweroff feature.

davesurrey

re: wrong drive icon indication

#31 Post by davesurrey »

@MU,
Hi Mark,
Yes I am aware of that but I don't think that's where my pup_410.sfs is stored. My first partition (sda1) which is the one acting strangely has Windows XP and it's only when we get to sda11 that we have Puppy 4.1
So I still think there is a problem.
Have you seen this?
Cheers

davesurrey

re Power-down fails with Sis chipset

#32 Post by davesurrey »

Hi Sage,
Wow a whole forum dedicate to duff capacitors??!! Somedays I am just amazed with this World. [img][/img]

Yes the K7S5A did seem to be very popular although popular doesn't of course mean quality. Or else we'd all be going around drinking Coke and eating McDonalds.

It was only when I saw your post that I realised that this is an SiS related issue. Hope someone can come up with a fix soon as it's really annoying but as it's been around since 4.0 I doubt it's high on anyone's radar.

Cheers

Sage

#33 Post by Sage »

Recently, the GRUB installer has returned to the Mickey Mouse procedure of opening and re-closing the CD tray, again. I know the CD has to be unmounted, etc., but earlier versions managed to suppress this pointless feature and, thereby, reduced the risk of catching one's personage on the open orifice. Other distros, without exception, don't do it.

rerwin

#34 Post by rerwin »

ttuuxxx,
P mount from 4.0 works fine on 4.1
To make the "drive" tab first in the pmount dialog, you need not cling to the past -- version of pmount.

Simply adding "drive" (without quotes) as a parameter in the "mount" desktop icon (right-click>edit item, second field) forces it first. Adding "drive" to line 84 of ~/.jwmrc does the same for pmount's menu entry:

Code: Select all

<Program label="Pmount mount/unmount drives" icon="mini-diskette.xpm">pmount drive</Program>
Right-clicking on one of the hard-drive hotplug icons and on "Run Pmount..." also forces the tab order.

And pmount gives you a "preference" option to use the single window layout as in 4.0.
Richard

jakfish

#35 Post by jakfish »

Is anybody else having trouble installing pets properly? My specs:

ASUS EEE 900
1GB Kingston SD card
fresh 4.1 Final install
fresh puppy_save

Everything's fine in terms of boot and save, but when I tried installing Tempestuous's eee pets, there was no finish screen (when I tried to reinstall a pet, puppy said it was already installed) and no files place in root.

I can repeat this error with the latest BMP pet, which I know works in 4.1rc.

Anybody else share this difficulty?
Jake

SOLVED, I think: it may be an SD issue. When I abandoned both a 1GB and 4GB SD for a 1GB USB stick, I was able to install pets in a fresh puppy_save, then transfer this puppy_save over to both SD cards, and the OS has worked everywhere since then. I wish I could say why :)
Last edited by jakfish on Thu 09 Oct 2008, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.