Puppy 4.1 official (2.6.25.16 kernel)

Please post any bugs you have found
joe-mama

ndiswrapper wizard fail

#91 Post by joe-mama »

Was trying to setup my belkin F5D7010v8 PCMCIA wireless card, have a copy of the XP .inf & .sys files inside ~/XP/

[walkthrough]
1 click connect on desktop
2 click the wireless lan option on IC-wizzard
3 load module
4 unload ath_pci
5 use Ndiswrapper
6 wizard freezes with error `PREV_LOCATION`: No such file or directory.
7 click OK, and Puppy Network Wizard: Ndiswrapper fails to respond.

end up having to kill it.

any ideas how to fix this, or get mdiswrapper to work right?

Dougal

Re: ndiswrapper wizard fail

#92 Post by Dougal »

joe-mama wrote:6 wizard freezes with error `PREV_LOCATION`: No such file or directory.
This was reported a week or two ago and the latest version fixes it.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Michalis

#93 Post by Michalis »

BarryK wrote:Puppy 4.1 has HomeBank 3.8, which is the latest. They do have 4.0beta but state that it is not yet stable. So, there's nothing I can do for now.

You could perhaps report it at their site, and you could try their 4.0beta version.
Unfortunately can't find a HomeBank v4.0beta pet to try it, but since it's not puppy's bug I will report it at their site.

Thanks anyhow and puppy 4.1 is great :D

Edit (Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:17 pm): I find out that it's hapening only if I don't first save a file and then reload the saved file. So there is a very minor bug. I've reported it to their bug list anyway.

PaulBx1

#94 Post by PaulBx1 »

Couple of minor items.

Occasionally, when I boot on my Dell Inspiron 1525, the screen shows short black line segments (about 1 cm long) evenly spread across the screen. Rebooting fixes it. I didn't see this booting into ram, only when booting off CD with a pupsave on the hard drive.

Sometimes when I boot with a flash drive already plugged in, the drive icon is not shown on the screen. I vaguely recall that unplugging and replugging fixes it, and that pmount does see it (not sure about the latter). Just an annoyance...

Mostly I am enjoying this new revision. I have finally moved off 2.16!

PaulBx1

#95 Post by PaulBx1 »

I have a Targus USB optical mouse. When I look in the mouse setup, it says I have a serial mouse (even though there is no serial port on this computer). If I set it to "USB" it accepts it, but on reboot it is back to serial mouse.

I have also noticed my X-windows copy and paste, which works entirely within an RXVT window, does not work when I want to copy from a geany window to an RXVT window. The weird thing it, I'm pretty sure this worked earlier.

I will try booting into ram to see if this works better.

<later>
It did detect that I have a USB mouse, when booting into ram. However the X copy/paste still did not work. I recall earlier the touchpad never did work with this, but my USB mouse did.

Perhaps this has already been addressed; I haven't read through all the posts. Actually I have, but I've forgotten all by now. :oops:

Zoasterboy

#96 Post by Zoasterboy »

Dougal wrote:
joe-mama wrote:6 wizard freezes with error `PREV_LOCATION`: No such file or directory.
I still seem to be getting the error. I copied the new files in, replacing the previous files. Is there anything else I have to do?

Dougal

#97 Post by Dougal »

Zoasterboy wrote:
Dougal wrote:
I still seem to be getting the error. I copied the new files in, replacing the previous files. Is there anything else I have to do?
No. There is no reason why that should happen. You might try the even newer version of the wizard...
If it still happens, you should try and run the wizard from a terminal with "net-setup.sh -d" and see if there's any interesting output.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Zoasterboy

#98 Post by Zoasterboy »

Used the latest, works now, thanks!

Akifue

Re: ALSA setup wizard oddity

#99 Post by Akifue »

dogone wrote:
capoverde wrote:...Tried re-running the ALSA setup wiz: /dev/mixer, which disappears at the very start before soundcard search, does reappear after running both "modprobe snd-mixer-oss" and "modprobe snd-seq-oss", order indifferent; modprobing snd-pcm-oss seems unnecessary; SGmixer then starts again...
At some point days after 4.1 installation on my Dell 8200 laptop, the volume control applet disappeared from the tray. Sound remained functional and Alsamixer still worked. Sgmixer however, would not run, complaining it could not access /dev/mixer.

I discovered capoverde's post and found too that the two modprobes do re-enable sgmixer. Several reboots later and all is well.

Something is clobbering something somewhere..
I had this problem too with disapeearing sGmixer in kernel 4.26.21.7 "retro".
I had to write manually this modules in file /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG as ' snd_mixer_oss snd_seq_oss snd_pcm_oss '
in proper place. It work.
Thank you for posts in this topic, it's realy help to resolve the problem :D