Extra drivers for Puppy 4.1 with 2.6.25.16 kernel

For drivers and kernel modules.
mawebb88

re: Puppy 4.1 Acer 5100 Laptop wireless not working

#16 Post by mawebb88 »

Thanks tempestuous.

Had a look at the link you supplied:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 976#237976

Slightly improvement using the ath_pci drivers but still having problems with the Wireless network scan using the new 4.1 Network Wizard. Occasionally finds a wireless network (but not mine). Re-scanning give very inconsistence results. But the 4.00 Network wizard installed on 4.1 scans correctly.

But I cannot save a profile so each boot have to go through the configuration again. Given up and gone completely back to Puppy 4.00. Pity.

Mike

GeorgR

MSI WIND U100 No WLAN

#17 Post by GeorgR »

Thanks for the driver.
But no luck.

MSi WIND U100 with RTL8187SE, Puppy 4.1, WLAN activated:

Tempestuous PET installed, reboot => no wlan driver installed

With growler PET the wlan hardware is recognized and even network scanning shows the availabe access points.
But DHCP fails.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 9&start=19

What is wrong with my wind?
(with xp wlan is running without any problems)

Dougal

#18 Post by Dougal »

tempestuous wrote:I didn't add the Fn+F1 suspend-to-ram function, because this is likely to crash Puppy.
If you want to experiment with Puppy-compatible suspend, there is a script here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=13410
but looking through that script I see that it's probably not compatible with Puppy4.x
Further experimentation is required.
I wouldn't recommend trying to get suspend working on any of those machines with the internal flash drives.
When you shut down (including suspend), the USB controller is reset and thus the usb devices get renamed... so it won't resume.
There's a kernel config option to help with that (CONFIG_USB_PERSIST), but even with that I couldn't get it to resume properly on the Classmate (I could resume with an initrd, but if I had any mounted partitions they disappeared after resume, thus resuming with a proper system didn't work...).
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

tempestuous

Re: MSI WIND U100 No WLAN

#19 Post by tempestuous »

GeorgR wrote:Tempestuous PET installed, reboot => no wlan driver installed
Puppy should automatically load the correct driver (r8180).
But if not, try to manually load the r8180 module in the Network Wizard.

tempestuous

#20 Post by tempestuous »

Oct 9 2008.
I just revised the acpid packages so that network re-connection after switching the wifi device back on will be more reliable.

dinky

#21 Post by dinky »

Dougal wrote:
tempestuous wrote:I didn't add the Fn+F1 suspend-to-ram function, because this is likely to crash Puppy.
If you want to experiment with Puppy-compatible suspend, there is a script here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=13410
but looking through that script I see that it's probably not compatible with Puppy4.x
Further experimentation is required.
I wouldn't recommend trying to get suspend working on any of those machines with the internal flash drives.
When you shut down (including suspend), the USB controller is reset and thus the usb devices get renamed... so it won't resume.
There's a kernel config option to help with that (CONFIG_USB_PERSIST), but even with that I couldn't get it to resume properly on the Classmate (I could resume with an initrd, but if I had any mounted partitions they disappeared after resume, thus resuming with a proper system didn't work...).
thanks Dougal, this is one feature I would LOOOVE to see implemented on the eeepc for puppy. What you say makes sense, but how come the default Xandros installation is able to suspend, then restore again? Same hardware, feature I'd love to see. Where in the Xandros system would this be located. (no longer have Xandros on my eeepc, but backed up everything, and happy to do a bit of browsing.) Cheers.
~dinky

Dpup

Puppy 4.1 ASUS Eee Function Keys

#22 Post by Dpup »

I have tested on two ASUS 4G 701 Eee's, the factory XP version as well as factory Xandros Linux, mod for function keys with Puppy 4.1 standard dual USB boot install, with particular interest in external LCD monitor. It does not toggle an external LCD monitor on and off with Fn F5, but stays on displaying on both screens which is very usable for me.

Interesting to note that the the external LCD monitor (a large screen Samsung LCD TV) did not work Fn F5 with either XP or Xandros Linux so better to have it on both screens using Puppy 4.1. The ASUS factory operating systems reported incompatible video format.

Also may be of interest that plugging in external USB optical scroll mouse and keyboard also works fine with Puppy 4.1.

Still looking for solution on the modified madwifi Eee wifi reconnect on boot to WPA and WPA2 TKIP, but work around is plugging in external USB wifi adapter that works with the stock Puppy 4.1 and not using the modified madwifi for now.

Dpup

CHLee

#23 Post by CHLee »

Thank tempestuous very much!
About the shutdown problem for the eeepc, this was because the sound card driver(if you have play the sound, it will have this problem;if you haven't play any sound, you can power off.) . To solve the problem, we can remove the sound card driver before shutdown.

Code: Select all

rmmod snd_hda_intel
But this will lose the volume setting, the best way is put a small script in(eg:stop_snd_hda.sh): /etc/init.d/
The content of the stop_snd_hda.sh are:

#!/bin/sh
if [ "$1" = "stop" ];then
	rmmod  snd_hda_intel
fi
Please make sure the script is "executable".

Thanks tempestuous again!

rhadon

#24 Post by rhadon »

Hi everybody,

On eeePc 900 with 4.1 I`ve also had the problem, that after rebooting I must configure Wifi new and was not able to save It. I think the cause was that I used a 2fs file built by 408 or 409. After deleting this file I was able to create a new one and now it works fine.

Maybe this information is helpful for somebody.

@ tempestuous: You did a very good work with your madwifi driver for eee so thank you very much.

tempestuous

#25 Post by tempestuous »

CHLee, yes, I suspected that either the ALSA driver or wifi driver needed to be unloaded before shutting down.

EDIT: jakfish reports that the ath_pci wifi driver needs to be unloaded for reliable shutdown.
It's probably a good idea to unload both the ALSA driver and wifi driver.
CHLee wrote:the best way is put a small script in (eg:stop_snd_hda.sh): /etc/init.d/
Yes, that's one solution. Another way is to modify /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown
Line 452 has this -

/usr/sbin/alsactl store
just add two lines after it with this, for Eee 7x-900

rmmod ath_pci
rmmod snd-hda-intel
or these two lines for Eee 901-1000

rmmod rt2860sta
rmmod snd-hda-intel
Last edited by tempestuous on Mon 13 Oct 2008, 10:01, edited 1 time in total.

magerlab

#26 Post by magerlab »

is there a way to make internal mic of the eee pc 701 work?

Dougal

#27 Post by Dougal »

dinky wrote:thanks Dougal, this is one feature I would LOOOVE to see implemented on the eeepc for puppy. What you say makes sense, but how come the default Xandros installation is able to suspend, then restore again? Same hardware, feature I'd love to see. Where in the Xandros system would this be located.
You'd probably want to look at their kernel .config file first, to see if they have USB_PERSIST on and which type of suspend they use (swsusp or TuxOnIce).
I'd also check if usb-storage is built in -- that might have something to do with it, as I've noticed with the Classmate that the order in which usb devices are detected is inconsistent! Usually the internal flash drive is sdb, but when I boot into a ramdisk or with with a different loglevel, it becomes sda...
It also might just be a problem with the Classmate, so it's possible to suspend with the eee, but you need to recompile the kernel.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: re: Puppy 4.1 Acer 5100 Laptop wireless not working

#28 Post by BarryK »

mawebb88 wrote:Slightly improvement using the ath_pci drivers but still having problems with the Wireless network scan using the new 4.1 Network Wizard. Occasionally finds a wireless network (but not mine). Re-scanning give very inconsistence results. But the 4.00 Network wizard installed on 4.1 scans correctly.

But I cannot save a profile so each boot have to go through the configuration again. Given up and gone completely back to Puppy 4.00. Pity.
Dougal has greatly extended /etc/rc.d/rc.network to work with the profiles created by the 4.1 Network Wizard. Get the rc.network out of 4.0 and try that ...it might then remember at bootup, but I don't know if there will be any other issue introduced.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

tempestuous

#29 Post by tempestuous »

magerlab wrote:is there a way to make internal mic of the eee pc 701 work?
EDIT: See update to earlier post -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 741#237741
Last edited by tempestuous on Sat 11 Oct 2008, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.

mawebb88

Re: re: Puppy 4.1 Acer 5100 Laptop wireless not working

#30 Post by mawebb88 »

"BarryK
Dougal has greatly extended /etc/rc.d/rc.network to work with the profiles created by the 4.1 Network Wizard. Get the rc.network out of 4.0 and try that ...it might then remember at bootup, but I don't know if there will be any other issue introduced".

I am happy with another solution for the moment but thanks for your
suggestion. See my contribution at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=34184

Now very happy with 4.1 Many thanks its by far the best distribution!

Mike

tempestuous

#31 Post by tempestuous »

magerlab wrote:is there a way to make internal mic of the eee pc 701 work?
For Puppy 4.1's version of ALSA a modified audio driver is necessary,
now attached to earlier post -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 741#237741

dinky

#32 Post by dinky »

Hi Dougal, internal flash on the eeepc 701 seems to be consistent... I'll let you know about the other things. I'll try and post the kernel config file here so you can also look at it. I put a post on your 'updated hotpup' thread about the hotpupx version... problems with Puppy 4.1, are you able to fix them?

@tempestuous
great work! No issues at all in Puppy 4.1 with the wireless network for wep, haven't tried anything else. Didn't have to do anything in the bios. for the record, I like your post regaring the shutdown problem. Used your edit, and no further problems. Cheers!
_dinky

Dpup

Puppy 4.1 ASUS Eee 4G

#33 Post by Dpup »

Puppy 4.1 Standard USB flash install wifi connect on boot consistently fails on ASUS Eee with modified madwifi for Puppy 4.1 and ASUS Eee to WPA2 TKIP wireless router.

/tmp/bootsysinit.log error "wireless scan with iwlist failed (no networks found)... skipping interface".

And if I manually scan, it agrees no networks found...

But if I just load the profile from the first boot after installing the modified madwifi where it found the WPA2 network and just use it, the connection will consistently be made and works fine.

Have fresh reinstalled to USB flash several times with identical results on two different ASUS Eee 4G's, one with XP, other with Xandros Linux.

If I do not install the modified madwifi and use ZyXEL or Airlink 101 external USB wifi the connect on boot works fine.

Pupeee b4 consistently will connect on boot using the ASUS Eee internal wifi on both Eee's.

Thanks for any suggestions, tweaks to resolve this problem for Puppy 4.1 on ASUS Eee 4G internal wifi connect on boot.

Dpup

tempestuous

#34 Post by tempestuous »

We discovered that the most recent version 1022.0904 of the rtl8187se wifi driver fails under Puppy 4.1.
So I just reverted to the older version 1016.0716 of the rtl8187se wifi driver in this earlier post -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 747#237747

magerlab

#35 Post by magerlab »

i put the lines to unload snd-hda-intel to rc.shutdown
now have no problem with powerpoff but icon of absvolume disappear( but volume fader works) and sgmixer do not start ( can not open dev/mixer it says in console)
sound works and alsamixer also works

i even set up a very good mic boost and can record from another corner of the room :roll: and the quality is good enough
is it possible to fix this problem?

also i did not understand how to use the fan eee module
do i need to put it into rc.local
and does it need to be set up anyhow or just keep the defaults?