SOLVED: Kalex 94V Chipset "S82595FX" Driver problem.

WurlPuppy

SOLVED: Kalex 94V Chipset "S82595FX" Driver problem.

#1 Post by WurlPuppy »

SOLVED: Via the command line I entered "modprobe eepro autodetect=1" then Puppy seemed to see my network card. The normal configuration process took care of the rest.
=====================

I have tried to use the Connection Wizard to load the appropriate driver for this card to no avail.

The card is Kalex 94V with a Chipset "S82595FX" (I believe it would be an Intel Pro100 )
the FCC ID: = EJMNIO-EPXISA2W

I had found one driver on the web but it turned out to be a virus. (thanks a bunch)

I am running Puppy 4.0
(NOTE: I have Puppy 3.x running on a Dell WinXP PC and the network connection wizard worked the very first time.) I have tried the 3.x CD-ROM on this PC but it seems once 4.0 had been loaded it refuses to load 3.x and simply jumps to Win98.)

I had created a Floppy with a series of Windows drivers/modules e100xx.inf and tried to use the Wizard to load them. They loaded but no luck getting to card to function.

The AutoProbe seems to simply go through the entire list of modules without regard to their actual chance of success. For example numerous USB modules were loaded using AutoProbe and this is not a USB card.

The PC in question is a Win98 (yuck) machine that succumbed to numerous viruses and I planned to remove the Win OS when Puppy was happy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Craig

Aitch

#2 Post by Aitch »

Hi

If this is NOT solved my suggestion would be to find an Intel 8255 linux driver - this is a common but old card

If no luck try to get another card using Realtek RTL8139 chipset, as they seem to work every time, and are cheap/readily available as netgear/pluscom/intel etc

Aitch :)

WurlPuppy

#3 Post by WurlPuppy »

Aitch! Thanks however I have resolved the issue.

I created a new file
/root/Startup/startnetwork and in it placed the line:

'modprobe eepro autodetect=-1'

I rebooted and now I see via 'ifconfig -a' that there is now a eth0 connection but no ip address.

I went back to the new file and added:
'dhcpcd -d eth0' and rebooted. SUCCESS!

Thanks for the helping hands,

Craig