Update OSS sound drivers

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
MU

Update OSS sound drivers

#1 Post by MU »

I suggest to update the OSS-Soundsystem.

We have several postings, where applications (like wavplay) play wav much too fast.
I just installed the oss-update from this posting:
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... 2105#22105

Now Puppys wavplay works correct.

Unfortunately there a 2 things, that keep me from making a dotpup:
1. The size: it eats 11 MB.
2. The setup.

I had to exit XFCE and run it from the comandline.
Works easy, but nothing for people without experience I think.

So it would be nice, to have the new drivers in Puppy 1.0.7.

Btw., does someone know, what the 6MB-"sndshields"-folder contains?
May the *.gz-files be removed after installation?

Greets, Mark

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Yes, please, there seems to be something wrong with Puppy's sound, at least on my computer (Intel 815T chipset w/ on-board sound.) Every version of Puppy I've tried has played the included wav files so fast I can't tell what they are supposed to be. (Except for the barks; there's no mistaking those for anything else. :) )

I tried installing the Gizmo application files that jcoder24 so kindly made into dotpups here, and the sound is very messed up. I can call other people but they sound like they're breathing helium, and I'm told that I sound like I'm slowed w-a-a-a-y down, so that it's almost impossible to understand what I'm saying. When I call the Gizmo echo number I can hear myself but very faintly and with very little delay, so I suspect Gizmo isn't working correctly on my computer. At least I do sound normal. I can't say at this point where the problem is, but I assume it's in Puppy, given its other problems with sound.

Regular CDs and DVDs, and mp3s, whether on CD, DVD, or converted with lame and played back from the hard drive, play fine in the appropriate media players in Puppy, so I don't have a clue where the problem might lie.

If anyone has any suggestions that might aid in troubleshooting, I'd appreciate to hear them! :)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

What is the arts 1.4.2 sound server available as a pupget.

Some work was done with ALSA and this (above may be it?)
My suggestion is (this was Barrys plan at one point) make Puppy available with a choice of kernels. In other words boot up with 2.4 but allow update to 2.6 (and update to ALSA)

In other words a self assembly OS. Part of this is being explored by Pizzasgood who is working on a Puppy application uninstaller.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Thanks, Lobster. I hadn't noticed arts among the pupgets. I probably wouldn't have known what it was if I had. :)

jcoder24

#5 Post by jcoder24 »

Lobster wrote:What is the arts 1.4.2 sound server available as a pupget.

Some work was done with ALSA and this (above may be it?)
It appears that aRts works somewhat like a wrapper/interface to the sound system. I'm thinking somewhat like ndiswrapper.

From the aRts FAQ

"aRts bases on your normal Linux sound drivers, either OSS or ALSA (using the OSS emulation). So if your soundcard is supported by either ALSA or OSS (i.e. any other Linux app can output sound), it will work."

That quote seems to imply that if the problem were are seeing is with OSS itself, then aRts prob. won't help since it's performing OSS emulation.
Last edited by jcoder24 on Sun 27 Nov 2005, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

I tried to install the aRts pupget in 106, both multisession and plain CD, and got nothing. My pupget manager says it's been installed but I can't find it or invoke it.

jcoder24

Re: Update OSS sound drivers

#7 Post by jcoder24 »

MU wrote:Unfortunately there a 2 things, that keep me from making a dotpup:
1. The size: it eats 11 MB.
2. The setup.

I had to exit XFCE and run it from the comandline.
Works easy, but nothing for people without experience I think.
I agree that the setup is overwhelming. However, I'm more concern with the license --it's like another linuxant-conexant driver scenario again.
Open Sound System is not freeware but commercial product. The software itself is freely downloadable from our web site. However it needs a run time license to work. The software package itself contains a time limited evaluation license which installs automatically. To remove the time limit you will need to purchase a permanent license from our web site or any of our official distributors.
Source: http://www.opensound.com/install_gzipped.html

BTW the time limit is three months. The cost to register is "U.S. $49.99" see the bottom of theiroder page.

Unless there is a more recent free version of the OSS drivers than currently in puppy, we should prob. look at implementing & packaging ALSA for puppy instead.

spiffytech

#8 Post by spiffytech »

I agree. I'm not getting ANY sound on my laptop with puppy, but have never had a sound issue with a distro that used ALSA. I would like to see ALSA available for puppy.