Can I put more than one Puppy on a dvd?

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
eccentric

#1 Post by eccentric »

I have a pile of dvd,s with only one iso on each. i know there is a way of putting them all on one dvd ie:- 3.00 alfa beta rc1 rc2 final then using
final in wich ever way you want. i know this is done but the person reporting this on the forum said he had done this but did not give a link
to the page, I have tried the search with key words but no luck in finding it. can any one help finding this, as it is a waste of dvd,s use 100 meg and waste 4 gig. it is not the cost as they only cost 17 Yuan for ten
( about 1pound 11 pence).

I know Ted did this with DSL and puppy.
Michael.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

It's not quite clear to me what you want to do. If you mean can you boot more than one version of Puppy from the same multisession DVD, I don't think so but I could be wrong. I think there is a way to have several versions of Puppy on a DVD or CD, and choose which one you want to run at boot time. However I don't think they can share the same pup.save file.

jonyo

Re: Can I put more than one Puppy on a dvd?

#3 Post by jonyo »

Would you have a link to this? (the person reporting it in this forum) >
eccentric wrote:i know this is done <snip>the person reporting this on the forum said he had done this

Philh

#4 Post by Philh »

I think you want this link
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=16204

It probably doesnt get found much in title searches as it says mutliple.

eccentric

multi puppies on one DVD

#5 Post by eccentric »

Thank you for your prompt repy to my request.
To clarify, when a new pup is born ie:- 3.00 i burn a DVD to test this.
when 3.00 alfa is out i burn another DVD then one for beta, one for rc1 then another for the final, when i run them i do not save any thing.
It is with the final i decide to ether use multi session or save to C/F in an ide addaptor .So until i use the final there is no save file to worry about.
What i had in mind was all are on one DVD. thus i do not waste DVD,s
I am sure there must be others with a large pile of DVD,s that are of no further use.

Thank you for the link i will now read it. Michael

Edit:- I have read the link i find they store all the puppies then burn to one DVD.What i would like to do is add iso,s as they are released, is this possable?????????

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

I run Puppy from a DVD+RW. It works great. I've also used a DVD-RW, which worked great but has to be blanked before a new Puppy can be burned to it. Burniso2cd will overwrite whatever is on a DVD+RW without having to blank it first.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

disciple

#7 Post by disciple »

So when a new Puppy comes out you want to put it on the DVD, and you don't want to use the earlier versions on the DVD anymore?
I imagine that would be fairly easy to do just by burning a new session.

Or do you want to still be able to boot the earlier versions?
I imagine it would be possible to do the same thing (whatever that was) as gliezl and others have done to boot multiple puppies, but with each puppy in a new session, but it might be quite tricky to figure out how to do it.

eccentric

can i put more than one Puppy on a DVD

#8 Post by eccentric »

Thank you all for your helpful replies, I think the best thing for me to do is use+rw untill the final, then i can use a -r or +r for the final.
The reason i had not done this before was that i had read on the forum
that -r or +r DVD where the most reliable and do not record above 4 speed, i have ot had any problems thus far.

I will look at the link again but i can see what i wanted to do is not the same. Once again thanks for you help
Michael.

puppup

best multisession pupp iso?

#9 Post by puppup »

is puppy linux the most recommended iso to get multisession working from start? or will all the other puplets also work just as well? I plan on multisession from dvd-r. (just trying to narrow which particular iso in working with)

once puppy linux is on disc, is this also further customizable? (adding/delete
programs with ease?)

vanchutr

#10 Post by vanchutr »

-Yes!
I'd put same stuff on this forum
Now I re-upload "make_dvd_boot_multidistro.tar.gz". Please untar it and read file "readme.txt" to match your request or not?
Attachments
make_dvd_boot_multidistro.tar.gz
(106.3 KiB) Downloaded 912 times

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: best multisession pupp iso?

#11 Post by Flash »

puppup wrote:is puppy linux the most recommended iso to get multisession working from start? or will all the other puplets also work just as well? I plan on multisession from dvd-r. (just trying to narrow which particular iso in working with)
I've only used the standard version of Puppy to make multisession DVDs. It has always worked as advertised. I reccomend that you use a DVD+RW (if available) at first, and save anything important, including .pets you install, on a separate memory such as a USB stick.
once puppy linux is on disc, is this also further customizable? (adding/delete
programs with ease?)
Yes. If you choose to, multisession Puppy will save installed programs and changed settings to the DVD when you shut down.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]