A replacement for desktops is tending toward Tabletop tablet

News, happenings
gcmartin

A replacement for desktops is tending toward Tabletop tablet

#1 Post by gcmartin »

We all know that the technology ending in users hands and fingertips are changing.

One of those changes is looking at how industry intends to move business class technology. So, it appears that the model is, now, to give it to the public and they will take it to the office. (its easy to know what happens next, because many of us have been there)

Newest arrival is "tabletop" (although, I sure, this jargon term may change) versus the term "surface". But, the idea remains.

Here are current approaches for newest changes. We can expect that newest processors, Intel's for example, will enable more creative approaches.

I find 3 of those really compelling. One is a very light system, another at 27" just needs the new processor changes, while the 3rd is what ASUS has done. There are more, I'm sure.

Soon much/most of what we do will involve touch as mouse diminishes.

FYI

DaveS

#2 Post by DaveS »

Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

linuxbear

#3 Post by linuxbear »

I cannot imagine what a nightmare it would be to write or debug code on a tablet

gcmartin

#4 Post by gcmartin »

In an effott to help, ANY USB attachments are still reasonable connected items with the tabletops.

Also, HP, Lenova, and Dell have longer track records at this.

There are a lot available as the industry steers.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

What's the difference between a tabletop tablet and a laptop? I gather that a tablet doesn't have an actual keyboard, for one.

gcmartin

Difference includes tablet and desktop marriage

#6 Post by gcmartin »

The tabletops have the ability to be hung on a wall, or to lay flat on a table/desk, as well to use the stands that are enclosed as I understand. They Intends to provide user with a tablet like experience as well as a desktop experience. The manufacturers intend to provide flexibility to the user in placements. Tabletops shown in the site at the opening post have keyboards along with the touching ability.

don570

#7 Post by don570 »

Here is a possible trend that few people have noticed.....

a desktop Android computer. Acer already has a model

that I don't think is selling well because it uses an old version

of Android 4.0. ...but in a few months it should have a version

with Android 4.2.2.

Here's a youtube ad showing how it works..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S50ErQsEhUM

The German version of ad is better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlepsJAHqUE

gcmartin

#8 Post by gcmartin »

Yes @Don570. Thanks to you, I was able to find this too

At CES attendees were give a glimmer of what the 3 major OSes are doing to gain traction as this goes forward. Apple did not show their hand in this, but, best believe they are already prepped to take advantage of this. Ubuntu started years ago with Unity.

2 items of interest I have seen, thus far, in terms of product. There is a US firm selling Jukeboxes (yes music boxes) that hang on a wall or on a free standing kiosk which is a VERY large touch screen device for patrons to select music.

There is NO keyboard and patrons merely touch select what they want to listen to (the device has a money transaction device built-in) allowing patrons to pay...just as the old jukeboxes did. Clever use of technology for an old idea.

I was not able to detect what OS was used. But, this could be done using MS off-the-shelf.

Another implementation is a company who has built and tested, for touch, a travel and shopping kiosk for placement in travel stops, hotels, malls, etc. He too, is using very large flat touch screens for patron use.

The possible uses are enormous (also in size) for how we can use these at home, at play, at whatever.

Also, for that special someone who likes to derail, I want to say: "This is offered as information about industry trends and announcements. It does NOT request YOU to do anything or ask your acceptance of what the industry does. We are sharing what we see in the industry for community awareness.

jpeps

#9 Post by jpeps »

gcmartin wrote:Yes @Don570. Thanks to you, I was able to find this too
Interesting that these devices are not recommended for regular computer usage. You can pay only slightly more for an Acer all-in-one ($550) with wireless keyboard and mouse, although the reviews are horrible. I suppose they will find their niche markets, but a $200 tablet does the same thing with added portability. For overall usability, my $100 Dell Latitude offers far more than either.

gcmartin

#10 Post by gcmartin »

Yeah @Jpeps, agreed.

The manufacturers are already gearing for the upcoming school year in the Northern Hemisphere, as seen by this too.

It will be interesting to see what accessories will come with it and which will be purchasable. This will spell affordability for school use, spell industry directional migrations and its pricings. Its becoming apparent where this is heading. This is seen, both this week, in light of this tablet and the fact that MS slashed pricing for Win8 for education students, faculty, and education workers (two changes from differing manufacturers for touch-based systems).

We don't make the rules, but we can observe the movements.

jpeps

#11 Post by jpeps »

I'm finding lots of ways to make a tablet workable, especially with a bluetooth keyboard. There are some great FTP server and client apps,for example, that let you rapidly transfer files back and forth amongst your other computers/devices without needing USB connections. It definitely helps to be able to write your own tailored apps, since scripting is almost useless and languages like tcl/tk don't exist.

jpeps

#12 Post by jpeps »

Well, I've written my client software app to my cellphone...and it's actually far faster than my laptop was. Notes get dictated, and the layout software is sophisticated enough to easily scroll through anything that doesn't initially fit on the screen. Touch and voice to text does it all. I wouldn't have believed it without trying it.

don570

#13 Post by don570 »

It is possible that Android will develop in the future with a multiple window
interface. Rockchip has already done it.

http://armdevices.net/2013/07/19/rockch ... interface/

jpeps

#14 Post by jpeps »

don570 wrote:It is possible that Android will develop in the future with a multiple window
interface. Rockchip has already done it.

http://armdevices.net/2013/07/19/rockch ... interface/

edit: I just noticed there's multi-window capability in some android devices, and a Samsung multi window manager (not compatible with my nexus7 or lg phone). Trick for multitasking is having it work with all your apps and not drain your battery.

jpeps

#15 Post by jpeps »

Security is a big issue on cellphones/tablets. Fortunately, excellent encryption software is now available. Here's a cross platform, open source app that I just started using. You can click on a data directory and encrypt it.

SSE - Universal Encryption App
Paranoia Works
- July 7, 2013

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .sse&hl=en
Last edited by jpeps on Sat 27 Jul 2013, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

An error on link

#16 Post by gcmartin »

SSE - Universal Encryption App
Paranoia Works
- July 7, 2013
https://play.google.com/stor/apps/detai ... .sse&hl=en
Got a problem with the link as follows.

here to help
Attachments
Cannot see.png
An error message