Xmail-1.22 mail server

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Nathan F

Xmail-1.22 mail server

#1 Post by Nathan F »

This is the Xmail mailserver, small and lightweight plus all in one. Provides pop, smtp, finger and a few other features, and sendmail compatible command line syntax. The dotpup Has a basic installation plus a simple graphical interface to start and stop the server or log in as the administrator. Also has a ROX wrapper in /usr/local/apps. Read the docs carefully, please, mail servers can be a security risk if not handled properly. The default installation will relay from localhost or for anyone with a valid mail account.

The graphical wizard requires gxmessage, available in dotpup form from the dotpup wiki page or via the downloader. Alternatively use 'xmail start' or 'xmail stop' from the command line.

Xmail is about the easiest to administer mail server there is for Unix. You can log into the server by using telnet on port 6017 and create or delete domains and users, plus a whole lot of other options. Anyone who has ever tried to set up Sendmail or Exim will be amazed at how much easier this is. I also recommend the program phpxmail if you have a webserver running with php, it works great and sets up really easily.

I had this posted in the cutting edge section but the latest dotpup I think is ready for more general usage. Download:
http://grafpup.com/packages/dotpups/net ... l-1.22.pup
phpxmail:
http://phpxmail.sourceforge.net/

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

phpbbviet

#2 Post by phpbbviet »

yes, i love it.

i know xmail for ưindows, and easy config

thanks.

hendrikus

Xmail error

#3 Post by hendrikus »

Hi,

In order to avoid installation of Courier-imap, Postfix, Fetchmail to create a simple mailserver, I tried to install xmail on puppy. On Slackware 10 and OpenSuSE 10 it works directly, but on my target OS Puppy there seems to be a strange error. I can't retreive the messages without any reporting in the errorlog.

I installed the Xmail 1.22.PUP and had the same problem

http://xmailforum.homelinux.net/index.p ... topic=3423

Hendrikus

Nathan F

#4 Post by Nathan F »

What Puppy version are you using and what is the error it is giving you?

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

hendrikus

#5 Post by hendrikus »

Nathan F wrote:What Puppy version are you using and what is the error it is giving you?

Nathan
Hi Nathan,

I'm using Puppy 2.02, sorry replyed wrong on your message .... I got some problems with posting messages, this why I pointed to the xmail forum, when I use code I get a error when posting.

It seems that the filesystem unuonfs gives the error, when I'm coppying the mailroot to an ext3 filesystem it works fine. But this means I can't use it in the 'puppy way' I need to format a harddisk in ext3 first.

Regard's
Hendrikus

redrum

#6 Post by redrum »

Just a question: When you say it's sendmail compatible does that mean that I use it for my server for the php instead of sendmail ?
I don't know how to make you understand what I am saying ! For example in my (LAMPP) server I have the php.ini which has the following setting

Code: Select all

sendmail_from = myemail@whatever.com
; For Unix only.  You may supply arguments as well (default: "sendmail -t -i").
sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
Can I resolve this somehow and use xmail instead ?

:idea:

Nathan F

#7 Post by Nathan F »

Hendrickus -

That doesn't surprise me at all, really. Unionfs does some strange things occasionally. I'd suggest just mounting a partition on either /opt or on /var/mailroot and changing the xmail script to have the correct paths. If your intention was to keep it off the hard drive entirely you could perhaps use a tmpfs, if you don't know what that is I can probably help.

redrum -

Xmail is sendmail compatible in the sense that it includes a replacement for the sendmail binary, that is command line compatible with sendmail. This is the same strategy as used by Exim, for instance. However, I have no experience in running it this wayand was unsuccessful in getting any php scripts to work this way from my webserver. I'm sure the problems aren't insurmountable but you will probably have better support for things like this if you ask on the xmail forums.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

hendrikus

#8 Post by hendrikus »

Nathan F wrote:Hendrickus -

That doesn't surprise me at all, really. Unionfs does some strange things occasionally. I'd suggest just mounting a partition on either /opt or on /var/mailroot and changing the xmail script to have the correct paths. If your intention was to keep it off the hard drive entirely you could perhaps use a tmpfs, if you don't know what that is I can probably help.

Nathan
Nathan,

Thanks for your reply..... maybe I indeed need your help a little bit..... I create a complete pupserver to promote applications like SugarCRM or Joomla DocMAN for SME's here in Indonesia, this as support for the ISO9001 certification programs they have to go trough. I don't want to install this programs on their systems bit just run it from FlashDisk or CD. Only creating a pup202.fs. This to let the trainer being able to run it. If they want to install the software later I have no problems installing it on ext3.

Till now we created a complete dns, dhcp, file, print, web- pupserver, only mail was the problem because the difficulties in installing courier-imap, postfix and fetchmail.... xmail seems a nice solution, with the phpxmail userinterface it becomes even userfriendly. But when it needs a complete differend way to start the plug&play server I would prefer to experiment with the other mail applications.

Maybe you could explain a bit more in detail how to install xmail on the solution I want to build. We use allready /var/mailroot because all aour data is in the /var/ directory, this to be able copy this directory later to a ext3 harddisk when they want to have this solution as live system.

Sorry for the long intro, but it explains my goalsetting.

Hendrikus

bongmaster

#9 Post by bongmaster »

I have installed xmail and phpxmail on my puppy system. it seems to be running ok. but i dont know how to get my phpbb board to use it to send board mails

can anyone help?
*Under Renewal*

Nathan F

#10 Post by Nathan F »

Let me update the package, they are now up to 1.24 anyway. The xmail package comes with a sendmail executable, but it has to be run with a wrapper script. Also the sendmail executable has to be installed suid root because normal users (Apache runs as "nobody") are not able to access the MailRoot directory and a few other permissions issues. I'm on a mini vacation right now so give it a couple days but I'll try and get it rebuilt sometime this week.

I'm using Xmail-1.24 with phpxmail and IlohaMail for a webmail service. I've also figured out a bit how to skin IlohaMail, and hacked the login page a bit. I'm really happy with how it all works right now.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

growler

sendmail replacement for PHP mail function

#11 Post by growler »

I think redrum is looking for a client email program to send email from PHP using the mail function. In *nix this requires a client email program to send the email and the path to it must be specified in the php.ini configuration file.
It is miserable to have to contemplate installing and configuring full sendmail we just want a small and light solution and a client command line email program that takes the standard input as an email message. The answer is mini_sendmail

http://www.acme.com/software/mini_sendmail/

I've compiled it and put the binary in /usr/mini_sendmail
then make the mods to your /etc/php.ini see extract below:

; mini_sendmail takes parameters:
; -f the from email address
; -s the smtp server to direct the email through - this allows a third party smtp server to be used
; if the -s parameter is ommmitted then the localhost is assumed to be the smtp server
; -t required for sendmail compatibility??
sendmail_path = /usr/bin/mini_sendmail -fyou@yourdomain.com -ssmtp.yourmailserverdomain.com -t

enhu

#12 Post by enhu »

is there a pet for puppy 431?

Shep

Re: sendmail replacement for PHP mail function

#13 Post by Shep »

growler wrote: ; mini_sendmail takes parameters:
; -f the from email address
; -s the smtp server to direct the email through - this allows a third party smtp server to be used
I can't see where it allows authentication of the third party server. Without a means for authentication, it is going to be of limited usefulness. Any means for AUTH function?

Just came across a linuxforum.org posting with a commandline mailer very similar, but written entirely in Perl, and which does allow authentication: http://caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail/

Haven't tried it myself. See this thread for using sendEmail in puppy and for an alternative CLI mailer by trapster see the very last posting to that thread.