The Puppy Logo...

Promote Puppy !
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#91 Post by Lobster »

bugman wrote:I like the chihuahua. Did you know they were originally bred for food?
I always knew Puppy was good enough to eat :)
(this is a cruel practice incidentally - the dog is tenderised whilst still alive. I had a Malaysian friend who told me about this) Warning: do not cook puppy
for example, running a Knoppix cd, i keep wishing i had Rox instead of Konqueror ... the waiting while the cd (noisily) spins up every time you try to do something

Knoppix on HD was my first real effort to use Linux. The thing I could not abide is mounting. Much easier in Puppy and yes Rox is far better - one of the Puppy gems.

David - Barry has already implemented your design - so take that as approval and work on variations of that design . . .

Here are some ideas - but I look forward to your creations . . .

Summer Puppy (Puppy in shades)
Borg Puppy (aka cyber Pup - for hardware related)
Oz Pup (hat with corks)
Pup (mortarboard Puppy)

You are working in Inkscape?

Also if you have the time - start exploring the pre-release of mtpaint
which will anim and get Pup to blink
If you do the sequences, I am sure we can string them together
In fact Puppy (as ever) has an animation tool built in . . .

If running Puppy - gifsicle
file:///usr/share/doc/gifsicle/gifsicle.htm

8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

david

#92 Post by david »

I suppose you're right. I will make some small tweaks (probably not noticable to most) and create an official pack with all kinds of variations. If we could come up with a list of uses or potential logo variations that will be needed, that would be helpful. I have some ideas already, but it would be nice to hear what is needed to make sure the list is as complete as it can be. Thanks,

David

PS: Yes, I'm working in Inkscape. I'm starting to like it more than Illustrator, although a couple of features are missing :)

kcin

#93 Post by kcin »

Dave and all,

I have never used Inkscape before today, but David's work with the Puppy Logo has inspired me to give it a try. To my eye this first effort is a little sloppy, but I wanted to share it anyway to get the groups impressions of it and feedback about it

Original SVG included for those interested...

Best Regards.

kcin
Attachments
p7-1.png
(29.69 KiB) Downloaded 1873 times
P7-1.svg.zip
(56.69 KiB) Downloaded 460 times

kcin

Help with Inkscape?

#94 Post by kcin »

Hello to all,

While perusing the Inkscape maual online, I noticed that version 0.4.3 of Inkscape was out, and I am using 0.4.2. So I thought I'd upgrade - so I went to Grafpup site and downloaded the tar.gz, and tried to install it as an alien package via pupget. It said it installed ok. but it was broken, and wouldn't start, so I uninstalled it, and went to re-install 0.4.2, but now it says I have not enough space to install it, but that is not true, I know because this is a 15 gig partitition HD install of Puppy, with very little else on the drive, and I have all kinds of free space.

Can anyone help me?

Best Regards,

kcin

kcin

Help with Inkscape?

#95 Post by kcin »

oop, duplicate post - Moderator, pleaxe delete?

Nathan not logged in

#96 Post by Nathan not logged in »

kcin-

Not sure about your hard drive problem, but the inkscape issue probably had more to do with missing dependencies than the package being broken. To get Inkscape-0.43 to run in Puppy, you'll need libgc, gtkmm, aspell, and gtkspell. All can be found in the same place you found Inkscape. If there's sufficient interest I might repackage all of them together so that Inkscape would be an easy install for Puppy users. As it is, the packages were created with Grafpup in mind where the end user won't know or care anything about dependencies because they're already in the live cd.

Nathan

Lobster
Official Crustacean

available in Puppy

#97 Post by Lobster »

I would be interested in all packages but particularly inkscape being available in Puppy,

I think it would be a shame if packages for Grafpup and Puppy had to be different and I hope this will be adressed with .pet (pget and .pup hybrid being prepared)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

kcin

#98 Post by kcin »

Nathan not logged in wrote:kcin-

...To get Inkscape-0.43 to run in Puppy, you'll need libgc, gtkmm, aspell, and gtkspell. All can be found in the same place you found Inkscape....

Nathan
Hi Nathan,

Thanks for the info - I found everything but libgc on your site - that one seems to be missing. I'm going looking for it elsewhere now, but wanted to let you know it's missing from your site..

Best Regards,

kcin

Nathan F

#99 Post by Nathan F »

http://grafpup.com/download/unleashed_p ... 6.6.tar.gz

Sorry about the confusion. That link goes right to the package you need.

I intend to eventually index all of the packages with a description for each one. It might be a slow process as it would also include the 300 or so packages that Barry has made.
think it would be a shame if packages for Grafpup and Puppy had to be different
Making the packages different isn't what I had in mind, really. The issue is that I've decided not to put the libraries right into the packages, for a couple of reasons. It makes it easier for me to update the package if I don't have to put the libraries back into the new one. If someday I decide to remove a program from the iso it also prevents things from breaking if some other program had a dependency on the same libs. For instance, if I were to put GTK into the Gimp package (not too far off since it IS the GimpToolKit) and later decided to remove Gimp half the OS would break and not function.

What I was getting at is that it would make installation much easier for Puppy users if I did combine the packages, especially for newbies who have no idea what a dependency is. In fact, newbies are one of Puppy's primary targets. I was actually considering taking some of the more popular packages and making dotpups based on them since that is what most people are used to using in Puppy. It would be the same build, but distributed in a format that's easier to deal with. I already know there's a need to do something because this is not the first time I've had to explain to someone where to find the dependencies in order to get xyz working.

Of course, my time is often an issue and I'd welcome any help if someone wants to repackage certain unleashed packages I've made in order to make them more accessible. Intentions are great but I'm stretching myself pretty thin sometimes and it won't do any good if the intentions are never actually accomplished.

Sorry for taking the thread away from it's focus, please return to your regularly scheduled programming now.

Nathan

raffy

Eyes and Color

#100 Post by raffy »

Look at the eyes and color of this brown dog - could be useful model for David. Happy Lunar New Year!

theafro

#101 Post by theafro »

they do seem a little too 'cute', (although puppy itself is pretty damn cute!)

although the 'paw' logo is nifty, and something like a paw print would get my vote.

BTW i'm now 26 hours in to my puppy experience (found it yesterday), i think i'm gonna stick with it, it's on 3 of my machines already! :)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#102 Post by BarryK »

ha ha, I just saw the pup logo for grafpup on distrowatch.

I also like that basic image designed by david.

I came up with a variant that I intend to be the desktop wallpaper for puppy2 alpha.
It's attached.
I'm not a graphic artist, so the ears are crudely done.
I did it with the original svg, then exported to png then jpg.
Attachments
pawdesk.jpg
(37.48 KiB) Downloaded 1984 times

klhkentucky

finally

#103 Post by klhkentucky »

Finally something that doesn't no offense look like a wimpy logo.
I like this!!! Great job their grafpup Barry

edr4d

#104 Post by edr4d »

klhkentucky, I agree. Puppy logo/image definitely shoudn't look wimpy (no insult to any other images -- in fact I've skipped to page 7 of this thread without seeing some of the other images). I like the one Barry just posted. But the ears -- yeah, umm -- poor puppy, maybe he got into a scuffle or something.

babbs

#105 Post by babbs »

edr4d - Are you thinking thay the Puppy image needs a scar or two to show that it can run with the 'big dogs'?

edr4d

#106 Post by edr4d »

no, no scars -- i was just commenting about Barry's comment about the ears.

babbs

#107 Post by babbs »

Sorry about that, I was in rare form when I wrote that question... :twisted: :lol: :wink:

BarryK
Puppy Master

#108 Post by BarryK »

I think David commented earlier that the ears are a very difficult thing to do.

When I look my desktop, I think Puppy is visiting me from the "other world"
-- he looks kind of other-worldy, or maybe an alien.

Anyway, if anyone want to fiddle with it, here's the SVG:
(note, I edited it in Sodipodi)
Attachments
pawdesk.svg.gz
(9.69 KiB) Downloaded 526 times

klhrevolutionist

leggo my logo

#109 Post by klhrevolutionist »

Very interesting. I understand Barry K and his concerns. But let me try and put a different spin on this topic.

The puppy community is large. And as Barry has pointed out many pup logo's exist.
Growing with puppy, I noticed that we usually roll with the flow; testing the water's and if it feels good we usually go in.

I say look into creative commons licensing. This way pup's can share with other's while your
hard work is stil protected.
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

tronkel

Copyright on Puppy Logo

#110 Post by tronkel »

It is now surely the right time to look at copyright issues here regarding the Puppy Linux logo.

It has now reached the stage where "Puppy Linux" is effectively a branded operating system. Brands are everything in today's business world. Puppy Linux is going to be bundled in a big way with hardware very soon now. Some say that the road to Linux's acceptance in the world of normal end-users will be precisely via Puppy Linux - so this has got to be a matter of great importance. There are obvious financial implications here even although the system is perceived as "Open Source"/"Freeware" . This is an issue here even if Barry does not want to or has little interest in becoming rich from this. Cash could be important for the long-term viability of the project itself.

The two separate words "Puppy" and "Linux" are clearly not individually copyrightable since "puppy" is a common linguistic term and "Linux" is already spoken for by Linus Torvalds - BUT the combination of the 2 words i.e. "PUPPY LINUX" appears to be a first as far as I am aware - so therefore the term belongs to Barry as far as I can see since he was the first to coin and use the term. This is also recognisable in the version of the logo that has a picture of the Puppy face plus the words "Puppy Linux" underneath.

I am not a copyright expert, but I assume that since Barry was the first to use this combination of words and picture relating to his original impementation/variation of the Linux system, he should therefore be entitled to copyright protection for both the system itself AND the logo.

Registration of this logo would appear to me to be of somewhat a matter of urgency - even if some legal appraisal and registration costs were involved. Well worth the trouble in this case for sure.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer