pWidgets 2.5.8

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
Moat

#3136 Post by Moat »

tlchost wrote:...in 257 using the same code, I get nothing...
Thanks for the report, tlchost. The internal tweaks I did should not have affected anything involving setting location, BUT - it's quite possible (likely) I inadvertently screwed with the name of either the weatherstation script or config (likely)... in which case the location-setting plugin won't recognize it.

I'll take a look as soon as I get a little time, comparing the two (256 vs. 257).

I'm so used to entering the config's location code manually, I didn't even think to utilize/test the plugin. :oops:

Bob

bigpup

#3137 Post by bigpup »

Tahrpup 6.0.2
manual frugal + save folder on hard drive.
Updated with the latest Tahrpup updates to Tahrpup 6.0.3

The Pwidgets not showing Tahrpup 6.0.3( this may still be a bug in Tahrpup)

Installed Pwidgets 2.5.7

When trying to access plugin calendar I get this:
Attachments
capture21442.jpg
(66.94 KiB) Downloaded 863 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Moat

#3138 Post by Moat »

tlchost wrote:Hmmmm, in 256 and earleir versions, the weather station, using the location code of usmd020 gave me accurate results...in 257 using the same code, I get nothing, so 257 is a non-starter here.
Running a fresh & updated Tahr 6.0.3 from LiveCD, my location code - USMI0161 - works. Neither your location code - usmd020 - OR the extended forecast code for Baltimore, MD - USMD4633 - works.

This is on either Pwidgets versions 2.5.6 or 2.5.7. It appears to be a local (Baltimore area?) glitch in the rss feed, as the /root/.pwidgets/tmp/wever-tmp file shows errors when the Baltimore codes are used -

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<rss version="2.0" xmlns:yweather="http://xml.weather.yahoo.com/ns/rss/1.0" xmlns:geo="http://www.w3.org/2003/01/geo/wgs84_pos#">
<channel>
<title>Yahoo! Weather - Error</title>
<description>Yahoo! Weather Error</description>
<item><title>City not found</title><description>
Invalid Input /forecastrss?p=USMD4633&u=f
</description></item></channel></rss>
<!-- api17.weather.bf1.yahoo.com Tue Jun 30 15:35:35 PDT 2015 -->
(Edit to add) - Trying some more extended forecast codes from around here, in Michigan, and many appear "broken" as well (from https://weather.yahoo.com/ - search location, click on "Extended Forecast" at the bottom of the Forecast sub-window - the new page will have the location code as part of the http address). I wonder if Yahoo has recently made some changes that are causing this problem...??

Bob

tlchost

#3139 Post by tlchost »

Moat wrote:
tlchost wrote:Hmmmm, in 256 and earleir versions, the weather station, using the location code of usmd020 gave me accurate results...in 257 using the same code, I get nothing, so 257 is a non-starter here.
Running a fresh & updated Tahr 6.0.3 from LiveCD, my location code - USMI0161 - works. Neither your location code - usmd020 - OR the extended forecast code for Baltimore, MD - USMD4633 - works.
Odd...the location code works fine in 256 on a updated tahr6.03 on a bootable USB.

I'll stay with 256....but thanks for checking it out.

Moat

#3140 Post by Moat »

That is odd, tlchost! BTW - the codes need four digits at the end - the example you gave - usmd020 - is one number shy of being valid...!? Probably should be capital letters in front, as well. Might be part of the issue, as...

Now on an older Precise 5.7.1 remix, using an older Pwidgets 2.3.8 - and getting the same errors using the Yahoo weather webpages' codes. Below is a more direct and reliable webpage list of the proper location codes (thanks to some of our British friends... :) ) - tried a few, and they're working...

https://weather.codes/united-states-of-america/

https://www.edg3.co.uk/snippets/weather ... f-america/

Bob

Moat

#3141 Post by Moat »

More testing on a different computer, Tahrpup 6.0.3, and Pwidgets version 2.5.7 - Weather Station is working fine here, using the above linked WOEID's.

:?:

Bob

tlchost

#3142 Post by tlchost »

Moat wrote:That is odd, tlchost! BTW - the codes need four digits at the end - the example you gave - usmd020 - is one number shy of being valid...!? Probably should be capital letters in front, as well. Might be part of the issue, as...
The famous I don't type rite syndrome...sorry.

May have been a bad download...got a fresh copy of 257 and it works fine...sorry for causing any extra work.

Moat

#3143 Post by Moat »

tlchost wrote:...got a fresh copy of 257 and it works fine...sorry for causing any extra work.
All good. Spurred me on to fix some other issues I discovered while in there. :)

Bob

Moat

#3144 Post by Moat »

bigpup wrote:When trying to access plugin calendar I get this:
Confirming this, with Pwidgets 2.5.6 as well. Other plugins, too - not just calendar.

LiveCD session of Tahrpup, updated to 6.0.3. Pic of oddities (arrow highlights) when ran from terminal, attached (no 'C' in 'Clock_analog'...?)...

Bob
Attachments
Pwidgets_plugin_error.jpg
(58.55 KiB) Downloaded 753 times

01micko

#3145 Post by 01micko »

resizepng needs a patch for newer versions of glib so it compiles.

# zcat resizepng_gobject_unref.patch.gz             
--- resizepng.c.orig	2009-01-20 22:18:52.000000000 +1000
+++ resizepng.c	2015-07-03 08:26:58.727669174 +1000
@@ -58,8 +58,8 @@ int main(int argc, char **argv) {
   gdk_pixbuf_save ( im , jpgname , "png" ,NULL, "compression" , newquality, NULL);

-  gdk_pixbuf_unref(im);
-  gdk_pixbuf_unref(im2);	
+  g_object_unref(im);
+  g_object_unref(im2);	

//gdk_flush();
Maybe blendpics does too.. we'll see.

EDIT: yes blendpics does too

# zcat  blendpics_gobject_unref.patch.gz
--- blendpics.c.orig	2009-01-18 22:01:12.000000000 +1000
+++ blendpics.c	2015-07-03 08:50:45.307709135 +1000
@@ -141,7 +141,7 @@ gdk_pixbuf_get_from_drawable (im,pixmap,
 gdk_pixbuf_save ( im , jpgname , "png" ,NULL, NULL);

-gdk_pixbuf_unref(im);
+g_object_unref(im);
 //gdk_pixbuf_unref(im2);

return 0;
Attachments
blendpics_source.tar.bz2
# MU's original source + patch

# RUN
tar xjvf blendpics_source.tar.bz2
cd blendpics_source
zcat blendpics_gobject_unref.patch.gz | patch -p0 &amp;&amp; ./compile.sh || exit
(7.33 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
resizepng.tar.gz
MU's original souce
(2.78 KiB) Downloaded 323 times
resizepng_gobject_unref.patch.gz
zcat resizepng_gobject_unref.patch.gz | patch -p0 &amp;&amp; make || exit
(255 Bytes) Downloaded 289 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Moat

#3146 Post by Moat »

For anybody who decided to try the 5 day extended WeatherStation_Forecast I threw up here -

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 572#846572

- below is attached a mildly-tweaked version of the original Weather Station locale-setting plugin, that should work for it. Just extract the 'Weather_Station_Forecast' folder to the '/usr/local/pwidgets/widgets/plugins' directory...

Bob
Attachments
Weather_Station_Forecast.tar.gz
(1.14 KiB) Downloaded 327 times

bigpup

A new problem with sleep delay and desktop backgrounds

#3147 Post by bigpup »

jrb wrote:
bigpup wrote:Maybe a start delay setting in the root/startup/0_show_widgets?

sleep 3
fixwidgets -boot &
Works for me. :D I saw the problem but liked the black background.
I am using a very detailed picture as the desktop background that takes a little time to fully load.

I had to change the sleep setting to sleep 5.

This keeps Pwidget from starting too fast and loading the start up black.

The sleep 3 works OK for normal desktop backgrounds.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

live

#3148 Post by live »

With my tahr 6.0.3
* pwidgets 2.5.6 works, but I can't inforce some preferences, such as left.

* pwidgets 2.5.7 nothing shows up.

Changing quite often of monitor, I would be nice to have in the preferences to set a y offset and not only an x.

Thanks

Mike Walsh

#3149 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, guys..

Hm. I've been using pWidgets virtually since I started using Tahrpup (shortly after it was released). I use 2.5.6; wasn't even aware there'd been another update.

I've had hardly any problems with it. I use Weather 2, which seems to work for me just fine. It's not a forecast per se. just a current indication of local weather conditions.....but it's very easy to set up.

The only thing I've found problems with is if I try to use the analog clock. I can guarantee that on re-boot, it will have disappeared....and I won't be able to restart it, until after a further re-boot.

Any kind soul have an explanation for why this should be happening....and is there anything I can do about it?

BTW: There is one further issue I've noted with the clock. The seconds hand, instead of moving every second, appears to jump two, every other second. Anybody come across this one, or worked out a 'fix' for it? It's perhaps something in a config file somewhere.....but where do I find it?

(Before anybody says it, it's nowt to do wi't CMOS battery; it's been replaced, during the last 6 months or so. As far as I'm aware, the old one was still the original, from when my sister bought it back in 2005..!)

I say this, in all seriousness, because I have a 9 yr-old Pulsar chronograph, which, when the battery gets low (approx every 3 yrs or so), does exactly the same thing.....jumps 2, every other second. But I don't think computers act up quite like that... :lol:

Regards,

Mike. :wink:

666philb

#3150 Post by 666philb »

hi zigbert,
tlchost brought up on puppychat that pwidgets wasn't autostarting.

the pinstall.sh in the .pets copy '0_show_widgets' to /root/.config/autostart. this directory is for .desktop files .... the script needs to go in /root/Startup for pwidgets to autorun at startup.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

zigbert

#3151 Post by zigbert »

666philb
Thank for the feedback

zigbert

#3152 Post by zigbert »

Version 2.5.8
See main post

Changelog
Bugfix: show widgets at startup (thanks to tlchost)

tlchost

#3153 Post by tlchost »

Moat wrote:F

- below is attached a mildly-tweaked version of the original Weather Station locale-setting plugin, that should work for it. Just extract the 'Weather_Station_Forecast' folder to the '/usr/local/pwidgets/widgets/plugins' directory...
Tried it with 258 and Tahr604 on bootable USB stick....it shows up as weather in the pwidgets selection menu....and palces some bad stml on the desktop

Thom

davids45

Temp_cpu widget

#3154 Post by davids45 »

G'day zigbert,

Thanks for updating your widgets pet and particularly for doing a 64-bit version.
There seems to be a lot of 64-bit Pups on the loose at the present time, and the only 64-bit widget I could find from any 64-bit Pup was very old.

Could you alter the wording that describes the TEMP_cpu widget as I think this widget applies only to the EEE-type mini-laptops. Say rename it something like "TEMP-cpu_EEEcomputers"?

Here's my non-EEE version that works on various old HP desktops here.
I added to the info. in the config file to indicate that modules are needed dependent on the computer so this widget needs adjusting by the user to suit each different computer.

#this is a Pwidgets config file
#the actual building of the graphics is defined in bottom of this file, - after 'TEXT'. 
# temp data for this widget comes from modules loaded at boot that report any temps for cpu or other devices and for fan speeds if modules report these
# run 'sensors' in a console to see what your system could report
# you may need to run an lm-sensors pet if sensors shows in the terminal it is not loaded
#### --> NB: this widgets needs tailoring to suit your particular computer and its hardware 
# this particular version runs on old HP Small Form desktops

#### PWIDGETS #####

HEIGHT=340
OFFSET_X_LEFT=1080
OFFSET_X_RIGHT=20

#### CONKY ####
#COLORS --- 0:headings 1:base-info 2:extra-info 3:markers 5:green 6:red
#Colors are defined in theme-files, - NOT here.
color0 A2914E
color1 666666
color2 bbbbbb
color3 ffab00
color5 499D3A
color6 red

background no
own_window yes
own_window_type roxdesktop
#own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_colour hotpink
double_buffer yes
total_run_times 0
update_interval 1
minimum_size 180 5
draw_shades yes
draw_outline no
draw_borders no
stippled_borders 2
border_margin 4
border_width 1
default_color white
default_shade_color 333333
default_outline_color red
no_buffers yes
uppercase no
use_spacer none
#font fixed
use_xft yes
xftfont dejavu:size=8

TEXT
${font pdingobats2:size=20}${color4}z${font :size=12}${color yellow} CPU Temps
${font}${color3} ${execi 33 sensors | grep -A 1 'Core' | cut -c1-22 | sed '/^$/d'}
${color3} ${execi 33 sensors | grep -A 1 'Adapter: P' | cut -c1-25 | sed '/^$/d'}
${color3} ${execi 33 sensors | grep -A 9 'smsc' | cut -c1-25 | sed '/^$/d'}
This widget doesn't need the script that came with the EEE-TEMP-cpu widget - the config seems OK just by itself.

David S.

Moat

#3155 Post by Moat »

tlchost wrote: Tried it with 258 and Tahr604 on bootable USB stick....it shows up as weather in the pwidgets selection menu....and palces some bad stml on the desktop
Please explain... can you attach a screenshot? Location issue? Font issue??

I did find a path error in the location plugin script - attached below is the the fix, you might want to give it a try (I've updated the previously posted version here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 572#846572 )...
Attachments
WeatherStation_Forecast_fix.tar.gz
Unpack and replace 'WeatherStation_Forecast' script in /usr/local/pwidgets/widgets/scripts/
(1.31 KiB) Downloaded 334 times