pWidgets 2.5.8

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
davids45

Yahoo weather gone again?

#3181 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

My recently modified Weather-Station-Forecast widget has just gone weatherless again.
Is this more Yahoo "activity behind their scenes"?

David S.

Moat

#3182 Post by Moat »

Hi David,

I'm experiencing the same here, with /root/.pwidgets/tmp/wever-tmp reporting "Could not connect to the requested server host". :cry:

Fingers crossed, and hoping it's just a temporary server glitch. Googling about in search of any recent news regarding these servers being inaccessible is exposing nothing definitive, nothing pointing at Yahoo dropping this service or the like - or even the servers being "down" ATM.

So - hopefully just a temporary glitch! We'll see over the next few hours/days, eh...:?:

Bob

Moat

#3183 Post by Moat »

Yeah, screw it - Yahoo indeed appears to be history in regards to our Pwidget's weather scripts. Bah! :? Vovchik's Yweather, too.

I managed to get a really nice weather conky (9 day forecast!) adjusted and working in Pwidgets on my Precise Pup... but it's a heavily-tweaked Pup, per this thread of Battleshooter's (running conky-all v1.8.1, Lua, and feh as the desktop wallpaper "placeholder" instead of the Rox pinboard);

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72815

I attached the .pet below, but I couldn't get it to function/display properly on an OOTB Puppy w/Pwidgets, without at least the above (newer conky-all, feh, Lua) tweaks - but tinker away, if anybody wants - you might have better luck than I getting it to work on Puppy's default Roxdesktop.

Uses Accuweather, and is 99.8% based on the great work of TeoBigusGeekus and Sector11 over at the bunsenlabs forum;

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=189

Lovin' it, here! :)

Bob
Attachments
Glassycast.jpg
Running on my modified Precise 5.7.1 retro (Chloe Pup)
(25.19 KiB) Downloaded 1181 times
Glassycast.pet
Worth tinkerin' with...
(99.11 KiB) Downloaded 596 times

Moat

#3184 Post by Moat »

Oh yeah... here's my fat-but-happy Chloe Precise pup, if anybody wants to see the weather conky in action directly (as well as have a great, polished, complete and up-to-date pup to try out);

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/209 ... up_R27.iso

330-ish Mb. MD5sum - a0a24a8e885883dc9b2ff9c6c11ae70c

Notes - Enabling the Glassycast weather via Pwidget's Plugins>Cluster selection after network connection is established, works best. Also, use only Frisbee from the tray to connect - I cannot get SNS or Dougal's to work on this pup.

Bob

solo

#3185 Post by solo »

I'm not running a weather forecast widget in Conky myself, but I did see an alternative method to Yahoo at this link:

http://conky.pitstop.free.fr/wiki/index ... r_%28en%29

It uses https://www.wunderground.com/

So perhaps this might be a reliable alternative.

davids45

Glassy weather

#3186 Post by davids45 »

G'day Moat,

Thanks for re-working the uncooperative-yahoo weather widget .

I've gone the 'whole hog' and downloaded your Chloe pup and am posting from it now (Frugal).

I can't find where to change from your location to mine? I've done a 'boy-search' in Chloe's config and script files for Glassy_Weather pwidgets for any accuweather URLs.

All I find are yahoo location references which I assume are now invalid?

I think I had this same problem when you upgraded the yahoo-based weather-forecast widget but can't remember where else to look .

David S.

Moat

Re: Glassy weather

#3187 Post by Moat »

Hi David,
davids45 wrote:I can't find where to change from your location to mine?
Ah, yes, you are right - I really should have explained that part!

This Glassycast widget parses it's information directly from Accuweather's regular forecast webpage. The URL address of that page (of your desired location) then simply needs to be manually copied/pasted into the widget's script (/usr/local/pwidgets/widgets/scripts/Glassycast) at about line 98, replacing the one that's there (i.e. - mine). It'll be clear once you open the script as text and scroll down to that area.

So in your case, Googling "Accuweather Chatswood NSW" should lead you to the (first link) webpage;

http://www.accuweather.com/en/au/chatsw ... t/54814_pc

Copy and paste the address from your browser's URL bar into the script as described above (watch those quotation marks!), save, and re-load the widget from Pwidget's GUI. Should be up and running for your location. Just tested Chatswood here, and it works (you might have to refresh Pwidgets a few times to properly/completely load all of the weather information, first time around). You can have a look at the downloaded text info in /root/.pwidgets/tmp/curr_cond_raw if you want to double-check things.

Hope you find my re-mix of Precise enjoyable. One could eliminate a fair amount of it's bloat (maybe 30-40 mb?) by just deleting a slew of wallpapers and themes, I believe. But I like having them there to play with. :) You may have noticed that I've set it's frugal defaults (Pupmode 13) to not save periodically, to ask at shutdown (with a shorter 10 second wait interval) and default shutdown without saving after 10 seconds - my much preferred method. Basically allows (quicker) shutting down from the menu and walking away un-attended, leaving you right back at your favorite, "clean" configuration at next boot (any session nasties erased). And, of course, the desktop's Save icon works as normal, allowing you to modify/save up to that favorite, "clean" configuration in the first place.

You may also notice that I've left our old, now-defunct Yahoo widgets in place... just in case Yahoo comes to it's senses some day in the future and opens the weather API back up to us mere "secret key-less" mortals - making our widgets usable again. Here's to hoping, anyway. But for now, this Accuweather widget works great (I do miss Weather Station's wind direction arrow, though... :( ).

p.s. - Check out the streaming radios (available via the hidden pop-up top center tray) and link in Firefox to more stations - as well as more station links in the Music/Streams directory, which default to play in Deadbeef. Neat, fun stuff!

p.s.s. - Apologies for the length of the post!

Bob
Attachments
Chatwood Accuweather page.jpg
Accuweather webpage appearance
(51.48 KiB) Downloaded 1075 times

Moat

#3188 Post by Moat »

solo wrote:I'm not running a weather forecast widget in Conky myself... So perhaps this might be a reliable alternative.
Thanks for the links, solo - looks like a great, very (!) extensive conky/script (including weather radar and wind direction compass/arrow!). I'll have to give that one a try, when I find the time.

Bob

davids45

Location! Location!

#3189 Post by davids45 »

G'day Moat,
Thanks for the quick and detailed reply.

I found the line to change in the Glassycast script and put in my location.

But when trying the Glassy_Weather widget, I get a blank (see screenshot). The less informative old Weather widget is OK using your link info. (it's above the empty forecast panel).

I should have told you my original start-up of Chloe also gave no pwidget location or latest weather detail, that is, I wasn't seeing Charlotte's weather either. Just the empty panel as per the screenshot. I had assumed putting in my location would fill the panel, but maybe there's something else awry.

I looked in the curr_cond_raw file and it is still showing Charlotte as the intended location (screenshot again).

No hurry for a fix anyway, as I have a blind up and can see it's sunny outside.

(I can't add email emoticons with this browser - for my browser, I use a symlink from my data drive of seamonkey and its profile, but haven't got that far yet with Chloe.)

David S
Attachments
chloe-desktop160510.jpg
(187.46 KiB) Downloaded 1064 times

Moat

Re: Location! Location!

#3190 Post by Moat »

Hi David -
davids45 wrote:I found the line to change in the Glassycast script and put in my location.... ...But when trying the Glassy_Weather widget...
Wrong widget! :shock: :wink: The Glassycast is the one you want to select in the Pwidgets GUI (or it's cluster plugin)... the old, now broken Glassy_Weather is the one you appear to have selected in your screenshot.

Also, they are two entirely different widgets, so adding your location info to Glassycast will have no effect on Glassy_Weather (and vice-versa). But of course, Glassy_Weather is broken now anyway (Yahoo). Sorry for the confusion! As I mentioned, I left all of the old broken Yahoo widgets in there in case they come back around, or an easy "fix" happens to crop up.

I purposely left the Glassycast widget "off" when pristine booting from the CD (main .sfs), because without a network connection (as is the case on pristine boot), it would sometimes fill the screen horizontally with a lot of gibberish text and weather icons, until connected and re-freshed (conky is known to do that in some cases).

When you say "I can't add email emoticons with this browser" - do you mean when posting, as now, here on the forum? If so, here's why - see the three red buttons in Firefox's upper toolbar? That's an (invaluable!) addon called Quick Java - "JS", "F" and "A" represent Javascript, Flashplayer and Animated Images. The default button setting is red, meaning they are turned "off". In order to post emoticons here on the forum, Javascript must be enabled... just tap the "JS" button to toggle it to blue (turning it on) and refresh the page - emoticons (and the other extra posting functions) will now work normally. Like in my screenshot just above your post.

Since Javascript, Flashplayer and Animated Images are all vectors for infection/malware/etc and use up all kinds of my computer's resources (just to show me flashy ads that I don't care about?! :evil: ) - I always prefer to browse with them off (red), and only enable via the Quick Java buttons when I need to. Uses up less bandwidth/data that way, too (a carry-over habit from back when I was on dial-up, not long ago).

Let me know how you get on with those things/issues!

Bob

davids45

Michigan weather now displayed

#3191 Post by davids45 »

G'day Moat,

Thanks for your latest clarification.

I now see details in the Weather panel :D . But I think they're still yours, not mine :? .
I can't get the location change in the script to turn up in the Glassycast panel - screenshot has the changed script box at line 90-100 with my location url in orange.

I've also shown the clusters running in the screenshot - the old Weather widget is being displayed top left (18C and sunny) with the Glassycast panel showing below it.

(Having switched to my seamonkey browser+email running from my data partition, I can now also annoy you with emoticons :lol: )

Thanks for your perseverance,

David S.
Attachments
glassycastweather160511.jpg
Chloe with clustered widgets
(155.19 KiB) Downloaded 1029 times

Moat

Re: Michigan weather now displayed

#3192 Post by Moat »

Hi David -

A few things...

1) I don't see the " quotation mark at the end of your address addition... it absolutely has to be there to work properly. As I mentioned above - watch those quotation marks! The script needs 'em.

2) Although I'm not sure it would make a difference, I did notice that you placed your new address at one line below (99 ) where the working (black and orange highlighted) address was originally located (line 98 ). I'd shuffle it back up there to line 98, just to be safe.

Scripts like this will often look for their needed info only at very specific lines (i.e. - 98 ) and places within those lines - if anything is out of order, it very well could/will fail to run properly. A single missing/misplaced/wrong character can break an entire script.

3) Once you make those changes, refresh/reload Glassycast a few times and then have another look at /root/.pwidgets/tmp/curr_cond_raw. You should see Chatswood sprinkled about all over the text, in which case it's working.

I think you're real close... I'll guess it's the missing quotation mark. :?:

Nice you got your external Seamonkey linked and working! 8)

Bob

Moat

#3193 Post by Moat »

P.s. - To aid in legibility, I prefer to have a dark-yet-translucent background behind widgets. But if you would prefer no background (like the original widgets), just delete the very last line of the widget's config file (i.e. - ${image /usr/local/pwidgets/widgets/pix/glass.png -p -1,0 -s 282x438} ). That will eliminate the glassy-looking background image.

Alternatively, after deleting that image line, a semi-transparent Lua background can be enabled by un-commenting the lua line that's just above the TEXT portion of the config. I.e. - Change this;

Code: Select all

#lua_load /usr/local/pwidgets/widgets/draw_bg.lua
#lua_draw_hook_pre draw_bg
... to look like this;

Code: Select all

lua_load /usr/local/pwidgets/widgets/draw_bg.lua
lua_draw_hook_pre draw_bg
Then you can fiddle with the degree of background (alpha), color and corner radius by playing with those settings in the /usr/local/pwidgets/widgets/draw_bg.lua file.

Bob
Attachments
lua vs image.jpg
Choices, choices...
(29.54 KiB) Downloaded 1034 times

davids45

Weather forecast now local

#3194 Post by davids45 »

G'day Moat,

I added the missing inverted commas and shifted the now fixed line to be line 98 of the Glassycast script and I now have my local weather!

So a big thank you for your help :D .

Next step (and no doubt, stumble :roll: ) will be for me to make a .pet and .sfs of this superior widget set-up for all my Pups, be they Full or Frugal. Frugals will be easier because, apart from Chloe, they all run pwidgets from the same shared sfs - just copy the new improved (when done) over the old.

Also I think I'd like to remove all the widgets I never use plus the dregs of the old weather widgets that used the now defunct yahoo link. Should be hours of 'fun'.

David S.
Attachments
fixed_glassycast.jpg
Sydney weather forecast details from accuweather
(132.82 KiB) Downloaded 1004 times

Moat

Re: Weather forecast now local

#3195 Post by Moat »

Hi David - ahh, good to see your success! :D Lookin' great. 8)
davids45 wrote: I'd like to remove all the widgets I never use plus the dregs of the old weather widgets that used the now defunct yahoo link.
That should be easy enough - just going through and deleting the unwanted widget's files from the Pwidgets config, plugin and script directories and saving the session, should do the trick.
davids45 wrote:Next step (and no doubt, stumble :roll: ) will be for me to make a .pet and .sfs of this superior widget set-up for all my Pups...
This one... not so easy, I think. :cry: It took quite a few background tweaks and a number of extra packages in order to get Chloe to properly display these conkies, backgrounds and clock (Xonclock). It's really less Pwidgets, and more conky-all w/Lua running on a feh desktop - using the Pwidgets existing directory structure and GUI as a conky switcher, of sorts. As per the following thread of Battleshooter's -

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72815

And from that thread, this specific, rather critical tweak to .xinitrc -

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 878#832878

So there's a bit more to it than being just a re-config of Pwidgets, unfortunately. Feh as desktop image "placeholder"/pinboard (instead of rox, as in our traditional Puppies), later/more capable conky(-all) version, Lua and a number of extra dependencies/libs installed (which I have long since lost track of... poor note taking! :? ) - and that .xinitrc tweak which may likely require to be done on a "per-Pup" basis, to be safe (and not completely ruin a Pup install, rendering un-bootable, even).

But who knows... might be worth a try, combining all of the above into a single .pet, and see what happens. :?: Back up your savefile... and wreck a Puppy! :lol:

Recently I've been thoroughly smitten/bitten with peebee's LxPup Xenial - http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 676#902676 - an outstanding Puppy OOTB. Over the ensuing weeks/months (as I find the time) I hope to apply and get working these same conky/Lua/Pwidgets/feh modifications to this Xenial Puppy - and hopefully keep track enough that I can build a single package out of it all. Key word - hopefully...!?! :shock:

But for now, Chloe rules the roost! :D My "snapshot" in time of getting that all working smoothly - as well as lot's of other neat additions and polish.

Bob

trio

#3196 Post by trio »

Zigbert
Just a note. I haven"t used pwidgets again for long. What about sudebars? Will it still work with svg? Now that the wallpapers re svg images

zigbert

#3197 Post by zigbert »

pWidgets has not been worked with for a very long time. - I have only added some work offered here.
Sidebars hasn't been in the recent packages.
Be aware that Puppy still supports raster images as wallpapers, so we can't take for granted that all wallpapers are svg.

trio

#3198 Post by trio »

Ok

torm

#3199 Post by torm »

Hello.

Can someone please direct to conky source that is used with Pwidgets,
and compile switches or dependencies (if any).

Thanks.

zigbert

#3200 Post by zigbert »

sourcecode for conky 1.6.1 (Patriot version supporting Rox pinboard)