Boxpup 4.1.2 released

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gray

Calendar etc

#16 Post by gray »

JustGreg, I like it when people answer their own questions :D

To move the calendar you have to edit the file /etc/conky/rc_cal and change the alignment variable and the gap_x and gap_y values. It will take a bit of trial and error to get it where you want.

I have noticed that sometimes the clock is on top of everything, when it should not. I think it is a timing issue and by inserting a delay in the .xinitrc file it is fixed.

ie sleep 1 && xonclock &

wosifat: You have an orignal pup_410.sfs file on your harddrive somewhere. Thiat is being picked up first. It is a bad habit of puppy 4.1 in that it leaves these deposits without asking - bad dog.

JustGreg

#17 Post by JustGreg »

Thank you, Gray. So gap_x and gap_y are the variables to change. I off to see what happens.

The only things that I have added are:
spell-check addon for opera (it is on the forum under opera 9.62), geany, timesync and sakura. I have to like geany and sakura more than the existing application (leafpad and aterm). Sakura can be made to be transparent just like aterm, but cut and paste are bit easier to do. Geany can have multiple files open which can be handy.

I do like box pup out of the box :wink:
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

wosifat

#18 Post by wosifat »

Ok, I deleted an old pup_410.sfs file and it seems to behave.
But I can't seem to get dotpups to work. I have to games that rely on dotpups (can't find working dotpets, yet.)

DaveS

#19 Post by DaveS »

wosifat, check here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 7&start=30
Hope it helps. i think it might be a thunar/rox issue.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

wosifat

#20 Post by wosifat »

Thanks for the help, DaveS, but still not working right.

"ERROR: Not enough free diskspace, you have MB, but needed are !"

Anyone know what that means?

DaveS

#21 Post by DaveS »

OK. I think that error comes from some kind of bug in Thunar. Use the repos to add Rox, and try using that. You can always remove it later if you want. Rox seems tightly integrated with Puppy. Using Rox, you must have dotpuphandler installed.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

wosifat

#22 Post by wosifat »

What repos?
It's not in the package manager.

DaveS

#23 Post by DaveS »

Use Puppy Package Manager from your menu, and install Roxfiler from the official puppy4 set. Give it a few mins, and I will test it.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#24 Post by DaveS »

Nope. Still does not work. Bum! It is strange, because 4.1.1 supports .pup installation, but it seems NOP and Boxpup dont.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

wosifat

#25 Post by wosifat »

I tried a different dotpup, and it worked.
Anyone know of a dotpet for Python 2.5? I'm trying to get PySol to work.

DaveS

#26 Post by DaveS »

Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

JustGreg

#27 Post by JustGreg »

I am modifying Thunar for my preferences for which application to open a file. The Question is: Is How to change the default used by Thunar for opening a file?

The Answer: One can use the open with menu File / open with application and then use the custom command to specify the application. One can use the check box to make the application default. This works ok, but, one can be shown the two defaults, i.e. leafpad or geany. The other way is to edit /root/.local/applications/defaults.list and change the entry for the file type to the desired application. As suggested by DaveS, the best way is to modify the default programs in /usr/local/bin. This works well as does not charge the .wbar entries.

I hope this helps!
Last edited by JustGreg on Sat 22 Nov 2008, 22:24, edited 2 times in total.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

DaveS

#28 Post by DaveS »

You can also edit the 'default' sets of scripts in usr/local/bin
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

JustGreg

#29 Post by JustGreg »

wosifat,

Here is a python 2.5.2 pet on the forum. I have tried it with Puppy 4..1. but not Box Pup. It is on the "to do" list. It should work

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31558

I hope this helps.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

wosifat

#30 Post by wosifat »

Tried it. Says "bash: /usr/bin/pysolfc: /usr/bin/python: bad interpreter: No such file or directory."
After installing the dotpet, and seeing it listed in the package manager, there's no file that says python in /usr/bin.
No clue why this dotpup isn't working either.

JustGreg

#31 Post by JustGreg »

Thanks DaveS. I try changing those and see what happens. I tired changing the /usr/local/bin/defaulttexteditor and it works well. I will modify my last post.

wosifat, I just installed the three (3) dot pets and python woks. One needs to install the two (2) libraries (libdb-4.4. pet and TclTk-patched4py-8.4.pet) first then the dot pet ( python-2.5.2.pet ). Otherwiise the installer complains about missing dependencies. One also has to reboot the system to ensure everything is loaded poperly and changes take place. I hope this helps. Otherwise you can try the tinypython that Barry talks about in his blog.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

wosifat

#32 Post by wosifat »

Still nothing.
Feel like I've kind of taken over this thread. I appreciate all the help though.

JustGreg

#33 Post by JustGreg »

Soory, wosifat, I reach my limit on python. Hopefully, someone else may have an idea.

Here is how Box Pup looks on my monitor.
Attachments
pupscreen-23Nov,003806.jpeg
(130.44 KiB) Downloaded 1106 times
Enjoy life, Just Greg

magerlab

#34 Post by magerlab »

i think we need to gather all info in one place

there are many seperate threads on wbar and conky here on the forum but for a newby it's not easy to find out how to cange their settings

Sage

#35 Post by Sage »

There is real merit in this derivative. Thanks to Openbox, I suspect, I can run it in 128Mb RAM - just - with a bundle of HW attached by starting up in pfix=nox, then running xorgwizard. So, gray, if you are able to trim just a little more fat from the running GUI it will open up a whole load more possibilities. Resist the siren voices about browsers; experience suggests that Opera is exactly right. Not sure where n4l has gone - did you contact him?