How about a Puppy with no browser?

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Bruce B

How about a Puppy with no browser?

#1 Post by Bruce B »

I notice people requesting Opera and Firefox releases. I think Mozilla is a fine choice, but I added Firefox for the extensions available which are not available for Mozilla.

I do however like the Mozilla email client.

What would be the problem of releasing Puppy with no browser? The user can download and install the browser of his or her choice.

Perhaps Gftp can have bookmarks to the download locations.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Lateral Browsing

#2 Post by Lobster »

It is a good idea.

However If Mozilla was lost. Libraries, Calandar, small browser, HTML visual composer and email client would go.

Of these the most important is the lost libraries. Puppy makes use of (shares code)

Mozilla is a big and reliable, proven project, so its structure is worth developing a dependence on.

Your idea is an interesting one - a min Puppy (Bonsai Pupy) with just sufficient to connect to the Net and start dotpupping and Pupgetting (installing) . . .

Who is up for it?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

And even Gaim uses some Moz libraries for SSL to access MSN.
(so in John's version, Gaim cannot access MSN).

mouldy

#4 Post by mouldy »

A minimalist version of Puppy would be nice for us with slow dial up connection. Just keep a copy of browser and other large software we prefer on cd and add it back in.

I use Sylpheed so MozillaMail/Thunderbird is just so much extra baggage. It was not hard to add Firefox to Murgas Puppy Opera 1.0.1. Also in past not hard to add Opera to firefox version.

Course I may tend to stay with 1.0.1 for sometime. I've tried distributions with newer kernel and had problems since I have older hardware.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: Lateral Browsing

#5 Post by Flash »

Lobster wrote:<>Your idea is an interesting one - a min Puppy (Bonsai Pupy) with just sufficient to connect to the Net and start dotpupping and Pupgetting (installing) . . .

Who is up for it?
That would be the best of all possible worlds: a "Stem Cell" Puppy which includes all the tools necessary to make it do anything you want. I would include enough applications to make it useful on its own, Mozilla perhaps, for its library of useful modules, and a C compiler, then concentrate on making dodPups and Pupgets easy and foolproof.