What database software can we use in Puppy?

Business software, financial software, etc.
hillside

#16 Post by hillside »

Thanks for the tips, Muggins.

Both of those options look like they will require some serious
upgrading to my old and feeble system, so I may pass on them for
now.

I've been using OObase and don't really need a new database
system, but I feel that database management for the desktop is a
weak area in Linux and was excited to see a new potential solution.
I actually can make it work by doing some cutting and pasting
instead of using the export function, but full functionality is what I'm
hoping for. I can also just use sqlite from the command line, but I
think a more graphical tool is what is really needed.

I think sqlitestudio has a lot of potential and am looking forward to
the next version that comes out. It's close to being a tool for the
masses.

muggins

#17 Post by muggins »

AFAIK neither should require any upgrade. Tksqlite, while being tcl/tk based, comes in a completely self-contained, ready to run, executable. If it doesn't have the functionality you require, just delete the one file.

Whereas sqlitemanager you can just download the .xpi file, open it with firefox, or seamonkey, and install it as a plugin. Maybe one problem with doing this with seamonkey is that if you don't like the app, it's not as easy to uninstall as with firefox.

aragon

#18 Post by aragon »

@hillside

next version (1.1.1) of sqlitestudio is out.
http://sqlitestudio.one.pl/index.rvt?act=download

cheers
aragon

googie

#19 Post by googie »

Hi, I'm SQLiteStudio developer.

Please report bugs to to sqlitestudio bug track system ( http://sqlitestudio.one.pl/index.rvt?act=bug ). You don't have to report this bug above, since I've read it here :)

I didn't met this error before, so I didn't fix it in 1.1.1. I'll fix it in version 1.1.2.

Please tell me a detail:
Did you execute SQL query, then disconnect from database file, then tried to export data? I need to know if you closed database before exporting. It might be reason (which I should fix).

googie

#20 Post by googie »

Ok, I think I found source of problem and I solved it.
If anybody is interested, please monitor SQLiteStudio homepage for version 1.1.2 (I hope to release it in 2-3 weeks, or something about it) and try out if error described few posts above is really solved or not.

hillside

#21 Post by hillside »

Ah. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. It's so cold here I'm dealing with freezing pipes. I'll be glad when spring comes.

Let me start by saying I think you have done an exceptional job and I'm looking forward to new releases.

Here's what I did.

I made a table in a new database and entered some data.
While in the grid view, I opened the SQL query editor.
I wrote a simple query and ran it. It ran perfectly.
I clicked on the "Export Results" button inside the editor.
I entered a file name and clicked csv.
I clicked column names as first row and clicked comma for the separator.
Then I clicked "Export" and got the error I listed earlier.

I didn't report the error because I'm not 100 percent certain that Puppy linux has a full version of Sqlite, but I think it does. I'm hoping that as your project matures, it will be the best tool to introduce people to Sqlite while at the same time being a useful tool for those of us who need a basic database system.

googie

#22 Post by googie »

It is important for me to know how did the SQL query look like? I know it was simple, but it will help me to understeand problem.

I think that I have solved problem, but when I would see the query, then I could quess if this is related.

P.S. SQLite database can be (generally) compiled in 2 ways - with Tcl support or without it. Anyway it doesn't matter what SQLite installation you have on your system if you're using binary distribution of SQLiteStudio, since SQLiteStudio binaries already include SQLite libraries, so you can use it even without SQLite installed.

hillside

#23 Post by hillside »

googie,

The query that I ran was very simple:

SELECT Firstname, City, State FROM Names WHERE Lastname = "Smith";

Like I say the query worked perfectly. I had about 100 records in the database and I got all the data I expected and only the data I expected. The query editor gave me a view of my selected data just as expected. I tried to export the selected data while still in the query editor. That is when I got the error.

Thanks for your efforts. I'll be trying your next update.

googie

#24 Post by googie »

Ok, I think the best way to check it out would be if you download my development version of 1.1.2 from here: http://sqlitestudio.one.pl/files/sqlite ... 2-pre1.bin

...and try it. Let me know if it solved your problem.

Please don't redistribute it, since this is incomplete version and final 1.1.2 will be released for 2 weeks or so.

hillside

#25 Post by hillside »

googie,

I wish I had better news for you.

I downloaded your development version and made a trial for each export type. csv, html, sql, and xml.

In each case, I no longer get an error message.
In each case, I get a message saying my data has been exported to the correct file name.
But in no case is a file actually created. :(

I'm going to be an optimist and say this is progress.

googie

#26 Post by googie »

Are you absolutely sure? It's strange, because if "success" message is displayed then no errors occured during exporing, including creation of file.

It is possible (in case of some error), that exported file is empty, but any problems with creation of file should be reported to user.

Could you recheck it, please?

hillside

#27 Post by hillside »

I have good news. And I have something that needs explaining.

When I tested again, I got the same result. No file was written. I tested six times with different file names and data types and the system did NOT write the file.

Then, I tried including a path with the file name. I used:
/testfile.txt

Suddenly success!!! My file is written in the root directory and it has my data. I tested with several different paths and in each case it worked.

The system still doesn't export the headings, but I can live with that for now. Is there a reason I need to give a path along with the file name? I assumed it would write the file to the current directory or some standard location. So, now I just need to remember to include a path with my file name.

hillside

#28 Post by hillside »

Just to let you know. I went back and tested the old verson of sqlitemanager (version 1.1.1) and it would not save my file even if I included a path, so whatever you did in 1.1.2 pre-release made a big difference.

googie

#29 Post by googie »

Great! :)

So there is one last problem left - with file to export, which I already have diagnosed. I'll fix it in final 1.1.2 as well.

hillside, It's "studio", not "manager" - some "*manager"s author will come here in the moment and kill me :) ...or you ;)

Thanks for your help. It's always pleasure to co-work with people from open source society.

By the way it's first time when I took closer look at Puppy Linux - it's quiet interesting. Maybe I'll try it out on VBox for first.

Sorry to forum admins and moderators for a little offtopic in here. Thanks for your tolerance.

JohnJS

sqlitestudio

#30 Post by JohnJS »

Has sqlitestudio update been dropped?

See:
Ok, I think the best way to check it out would be if you download my development version of 1.1.2 from here: http://sqlitestudio.one.pl/files/sqlite ... 2-pre1.bin

...and try it. Let me know if it solved your problem.

Please don't redistribute it, since this is incomplete version and final 1.1.2 will be released for 2 weeks or so.

googie

#31 Post by googie »

No, I just had more bug reports so I needed more time to fix it.
Anyway it's already done and at this moment I'm packaging binary distributions. I'll release 1.1.2 today or tomorrow, hopefully (if packaging won't cause problems).

EDIT:
Ok, packaging needs to wait till weekend (which would be 4-5 of April). Expect release for these days.

charlie6

SQLiteStudio-2.1.0

#32 Post by charlie6 »

Hi googie,
thanks again for current SQLiteStudio-2.1.0 ...!
just giving here the link to SQLiteStudio:
looks great ! :D
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SQLiteStudio
just follow the link(s)
best regards
charlie

Pelo

SQLite studio pls could you make it ready to use

#33 Post by Pelo »

pls could you make it ready to use
Whith a package .pet or a SFS and put it in a PPM.
Thanks a lot.

2byte

#34 Post by 2byte »

Pelo

It's ready to use as it is. Just download sqlitestudio to /root/my-applications/bin, open a terminal and run

Code: Select all

chmod u+x /root/my-applications/bin/sqlitestudio-2.1.0.bin 
to make it executable.

Pelo

Sqlitestudio

#35 Post by Pelo »

Where is the mistake in screenshot here below ?
Thanks for help
Pelo
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 09 Jan 2014, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.