Problems saving files in Textmaker

Business software, financial software, etc.
Colonel Panic

Problems saving files in Textmaker

#1 Post by Colonel Panic »

Hi all,

Does anyone else who uses Softmaker Office experience problems in saving files, especially in the .doc format? Twice now I've used it to fill in an application form and found it reverts to the original (blank) document when I close the file down and reopen it, so my work is wasted.

This is clearly a known problem, as this thread for the Windows version of FreeOfficedemonstrates;

http://forum.softmaker.com/viewtopic.php?t=15837

I'm seriously thinking of contacting Softmaker and asking for a refund. This is completely unacceptable in commercial software (it would be bad enough in free or open source software).

Thanks in advance

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#2 Post by Colonel Panic »

Switched to LibreOffice, only to find that that won't save files either (in any format). Guess it might not be Textmaker's fault.

Feel free to ignore this thread, but if you didn't, thanks for reading it anyway.

EDIT: Switched to Slackware and logged in as root, so no restrictions on where to save files, and everything's fine. It looks like that was the problem in Salix (or maybe the file system was mounted read-only).

Problem solved, except that it's opened up the whole can of worms again about whether or not it's OK to run as root - a subject that's been covered here before.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Puppyt

#3 Post by Puppyt »

Hi Colonel - I'm a long-term user of SoftMaker since 2010, haven't seen your dramas before. I've only ever installed the office suite in debian- or ubuntu- based pupplets, however - Tahr, Xenial, LH64 - never really got into Slacko and haven't used other Linux distros to test your save-fails.
I've voiced various concerns on the support forum, mostly regarding double-sided printing problems in CUPS - and they're normally pretty responsive and have worked hard to solve customers problems in the past. Perhaps you could look the SoftMaker support forum to see if anyone else has had your problem?
Cheers
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

Colonel Panic

#4 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks for replying puppyt. Good to see you've installed Softmaker since 2010 and that the forums are responsive; I wouldn't want to bother them though unless I was pretty sure that Softmaker was at fault.

When you install Softmaker, the install scripts ask you whether you want to install it for just yourself or for any other users. What I'd done was installed for 'any user' and then logged in as myself and tried to use it, and it's possible that this was the problem; it was trying to access files which were outside the permissions I'd set as a Salix user.

The reason I don't think it was just Softmaker's fault was that I was also unable to save files when I was using LibreOffice. Nevertheless, I'm going to try it again with a fresh installation and specifying that I'm going to be the sole user and see if I get any better results.

BTW, in case you don't know, Salix is a kind of hybrid distro; it's based on Slackware but has the same restrictions as Debian and Fedora / CentOS / SUSE-based distros (you can't log in as root, for example).

8Geee

#5 Post by 8Geee »

Colonel:

Any problems using Slacware 14.0/32? Using root in that one or"spot"?
I'm running SLacko5.7/32 with FreeOffice 6.97 (2012). Never a snag here. And I had to do an ODS --> XLS -->PMD, and just to check, ODT --> DOC --> TMD.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Colonel Panic

#6 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks for replying 8Geeee. Textmaker works fine in Slackware when I'm logged in as root, but I've just set up a user account and logged in as that instead and it promptly stopped saving files. I think it's therefore most likely that it is a file permissions problem.

The answer's simple though; since I'm the only one who uses this computer, from now on when I install Softmaker I will always say "Yes" when I see the "Install only as this user?" prompt.