Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 30 Jul 2014, 17:21
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
VisiHex -- GTK hexidecimal/ascii fileviewer in development
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
MikeLockmoore

PostPosted: Tue 02 Dec 2008, 00:24    Post subject:  VisiHex -- GTK hexidecimal/ascii fileviewer in development
Subject description: Help me get this Alpha (no... Beta!) version ready for wider use!

Hello folks. Mike Lockmoore is my forum name. I am a long-time software developer and designer, previously working mostly in Windows and some embedded systems, lately working mostly in embedded Linux. I like to use Puppy at home, and recently I decided to port my Win32 hexadecimal file viewer to GTK so it can be used in Puppy.

This current version is only 35K, but has some neat features like searching through a file for a text or hex data pattern with highlighting. I think it's very fast at file opening and scrolling. The current Alpha version (0.9.4)does have some limitations, like it does not increase the number of visible data lines even if you enlarge the application window, but I plan to add that soon. See the screen shot below to get a basic picture of what it does. It was compiled for Puppy 4.1.0, but an earlier version seemed to run OK on Fedora 7, so I think it should be fairly compatible with many Puppy versions that support GTK 2.x.

For now, I'm releasing the VisiHex binary as freeware. I plan to open-source it later, when its code is more production-ready, but for now, I'll hold on to the copyright. (My GTK coding skills are at a very basic level and I would like to tighten it up some more before the rest of the world sees it.) However, I would like to get some immediate feedback and suggestions, as well as get some help to figure out how to package it for distribution as a .PET.

mu helped me figure out how to do the "Open With" integration in ROX, but I don't seem to be able to create a menu entry for it with the .desktop file I made. Anyone see an issue with this .desktop file?

Code:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=VisiHex File Viewer
Icon=visihex16.xpm
Comment=VisiHex shows and searches any file in hexidecimal and ASCII form
Exec=visihex
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Utility
GenericName=VisiHex File Viewer

Here is the "make install" section of the Makefile that attempts to put everything in its proper place:
Code:

install: $(EXECUTABLE) visihex16.xpm visihex48.png visihex.desktop
   strip $(EXECUTABLE)
   cp $(EXECUTABLE) /usr/X11R7/bin/
   cp visihex16.xpm /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons/
   cp visihex48.png /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/
   cp visihex.desktop /usr/share/applications/
   ln -s /usr/X11R7/bin/$(EXECUTABLE) /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith/visihex

If you see any problems with either the .desktop file or the "make install" actions, please let me know! If you want to test it right away, I've attached a .tar.gz package, but be warned... this is Alpha Software and almost certainly bugs or at least design limitations!

Please let me know what you think.
visihex.tar.gz
Description  Binary released as freeware by author, including icons and .desktop (ok?) file
gz

Download 
Filename  visihex.tar.gz 
Filesize  24.37 KB 
Downloaded  325 Time(s) 
visihex_screenshot.png
 Description   Screen shot of VisiHex showing main window and search dialog box.
 Filesize   25.31 KB
 Viewed   388 Time(s)

visihex_screenshot.png

Last edited by MikeLockmoore on Sat 06 Dec 2008, 01:50; edited 1 time in total
MU

PostPosted: Tue 02 Dec 2008, 14:06    Post subject:  

In Muppy, the desktop file works.
I copied it to /usr/share/applications/ , and visihex itself to /usr/X11R7/bin/

You might need to type:
fixmenus
to force that the menu is rebuilt.

Mark

muggins

PostPosted: Tue 02 Dec 2008, 17:34    Post subject:  

Mike,

I repackaged it as a .pet for you.

Edit I deleted the .pet as you've uploaded one.

Last edited by muggins on Wed 03 Dec 2008, 22:15; edited 1 time in total
MikeLockmoore

PostPosted: Tue 02 Dec 2008, 23:18    Post subject:  

MU: Yes, after I ran fixmenus and restarted JWM, I could see VisiHex! I thought the fixmenus behavior happened automagically each time X restarts or at least when Puppy reboots, but at least in my 4.1.0 frugal installation, it does not. Maybe fixmenus can be added to a post-install script? Thanks for your knowledge again.

Muggins: Thanks a lot! Do you know how to add a "pinstall" post-installation script to the .PET? Then I can make sure the fixmenus is run and the symbolic link to VisiHex in the ROX OpenWith directory is created. EDIT... I figured out how to add the pinstall.sh and puninstall.sh and create the .pet, but in my scripts, I don't know how to restart the window manager automatically.

All: The revised .pet file will automatically create a link in ROX so the "Open With" option list will include VisiHex, and will rebuild the menus... you just need to manually restart JWM (or equivalent if you have another?) to see the entry in the Utility menu.
visihex-0.9.4-i486.pet
Description  Revised .pet with extra install and uninstall scripted actions.
pet

Download 
Filename  visihex-0.9.4-i486.pet 
Filesize  25.06 KB 
Downloaded  345 Time(s) 

MikeLockmoore

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec 2008, 20:47    Post subject: First bug report!  

I've discovered I've mistakenly left the limit for the search pattern at a very low size (4 bytes) after doing some boundary testing. Embarassed I intended to allow search patterns up to 32 bytes/characters. I'll fix that when I figure out how to set up the repainting routine in the main window to adjust to different size windows (at least different length windows).

If there are any other bug reports for this Alpha version 0.9.4, please post them here! Thanks!

MikeLockmoore

PostPosted: Sat 06 Dec 2008, 01:48    Post subject: Beta version 0.9.5 announced on "Additional Software' forum  

I've fixed the bug mentioned above, figured out the window resizing, and did some other minor improvements. The Beta version is announced here. Join me in that thread if you have bugs in the new Beta version or suggestions.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to: