Thnake - Emacs, Python, and Lisp

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
JasonFruit

Thnake - Emacs, Python, and Lisp

#1 Post by JasonFruit »

Thnake is a Puppy 4.0.0 derivative intended to let people try Python and Lisp programming using Emacs from a live CD without going through the trouble of setting it up themselves. Most of the user apps are removed, and the following are added:

- Emacs 22.3
- Python 2.5 w. Tkinter
- Tcl/Tk 8.5
- Steel Bank Common Lisp
- SLIME
- LTK (Lisp bindings to the TK GUI toolkit)
- Conkeror (a Mozilla-based browser with Emacs keybindings)

It can be downloaded from: http://ifile.it/28upfjt

I've been using it for a couple months now, and it seems pretty stable. Please let me know if you find problems.

Thanks!

JasonFruit

#2 Post by JasonFruit »

FYI - after conversing with some Lisp folks, I'm going to refocus this project. I'll be removing the Python stuff, adding additional Common Lisp libraries, documentation, and instructional material, and re-releasing the whole thing on a proper website. Has anyone downloaded this? Any comments? (I realize already that the downloadable version was one without LTK.)

Thanks!

adaniel

Thnake installed

#3 Post by adaniel »

JasonFruit: I am running `thnake' on my WinXP computer as a LiveCD with a 2GB memory stick for file storage. This system is sufficient to learn what can be done with thnake and how to make additions. In addition, I have Puppy3.01 (full) installed on an old Win95 computer that uses Geany0.15 as its IDE. I will be attempting to do essentially the same tasks on both systems. The contrasts between the two will be interesting. Thanks for providing thnake. If you have any suggestions for me, I will try to cooperate.

marichely

Thnake, cool Puplet

#4 Post by marichely »

Hello JasonFruit,

I was really impressed this afternoon by frugal install of Thnake on my old R32 LapTop.
I plan to learn LISP, I like Emacs and found it just right flavor.
Don't move Python. There are many emacs python folks all around.
Just add StumpWM and Ratpoison.
But please upload it to the list of all puplets for regular download.
http://www.puppylinux.org/downloads/puplets

Good luck
:D

JasonFruit

#5 Post by JasonFruit »

adaniel: What Lisp implementation are you using with the Puppy 3.01 installation? And have you done anything to add syntax highlighting and rational indentation for Lisp to Geany? I am looking at writing a settings file for Lisp for Geany and recompiling it to use it, but there's precious little documentation on how to do so.

derk2000

#6 Post by derk2000 »

Hi, JasonFruit
I am interesting in thnake. but I cannot dowload it. So any other way that I can get it?

Thanks very much.
Sorry, I have known how to dowload it from ifile.it. it is going on...