Install WordPerfect for Unix in Puppy?

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
rgershey

Install WordPerfect for Unix in Puppy?

#1 Post by rgershey »

I am new to Linux and am very impressed with Puppy! On the first day I realized that I could do about 80% of what I need to do with Puppy rather than Windows (YAY!). I would love to include the other 20% as well. A lot of that last 20% involves using a large number of Wordperfect documents (I've totally avoided MS Word for all these many years).

How hard would it be to install one of the existing WordPerfect for Unix packages that seem to available on the Web? I downloaded one, and extracted the files. The installer script creates some directories, but doesn't seem to be able to sort out the files and put them in their proper places.

You are probably laughing right now. As I said I'm new to Unix so I suspect that my naive attempt to run the installer and expect it to work was foolish.

Anyway, would it be possible to install WP/Unix in Puppy or is this a vain hope?

#2 Post by Guest »

It would be possible but you need to know where all the files go and what libraries are required. The libraries are probable old ones and you might have to install them yourself.

You need the source code for the installer to see what is required and there is not guarantee that it will not affect the present setup, unless you really need Word Perfect you would be better off using Abiword or Open Office.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Look here, under Word Processors.

MU

#4 Post by MU »

Open Office 2 imports Wordperect.
Abiword would need an additional plugin.

http://www.abisource.com/twiki/bin/view ... uginMatrix
http://rpmseek.com/rpm/abiword-plugin-w ... 5913:0:0:0
http://www.faqs.org/contrib/wordperfect ... adwp8.html

I don't know if the RPM will work in Puppy.

Getting Wordperect running will not be impossible, but it will be not easy, as this is a quite old binary without source.

Mark
Last edited by MU on Sun 13 Nov 2005, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.

Raman

WORDPERFECT IS RIGHT FOR PUPPY!

#5 Post by Raman »

Mr. Flash, Official Dog Handler, offers a good and sound suggestion, i.e., look to the currently available word processing programs customized for Puppy.

However, for those of us who use WordPerfect for DOS and WordPerfect for Windows and, incidentally, WordPerfect for Linux, nothing else compares. I mean nothing else compares. Period. Full stop. End of story. By way of example, there exists a large worldwide fan club for WordPerfect for DOS, as folks at Columbia University in the great state of New York in the United States can attest: http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/
to cite only one of the many, many examples that exist worldwide.

Therefore, I wholeheartedly agree with Mr. Rgershey, and do hereby second the motion that WordPerfect for Linux is perfect for Puppy!

Hail WordPerfect for Puppy!

Hail Puppy!

Raman

rgershey

#6 Post by rgershey »

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

I was not able to apply the plugins to Abiword that Mu suggested. Get a "failed to load/install" message.

I guess I will take y'all's advice and take a look at OpenOffice for dealing with my WordPerfect files.

I must admit, though, that as Raman has pointed out, users of WordPerfect are tend to be a bit Evangelistic when it comes to their favourite word processor!!

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Ian »

I am a big WP fan from when it was first released for Linux but I think Open Office is better suited as it already is installed in Puppy.

I also like Abiword.

MU

#8 Post by MU »

I tried to install Wordperfect, but the old compatibility-libs conflict with puppys libs.
I found no way to solve that.
For the Abiword-plugin, put a request in the addons/dotpups-forum.

Mark

MU

#9 Post by MU »

May someone please upload a simple Wordperfect-document for tests?
I just compiled Abiword-import, but want to test it before making a dotpup.

4 Lines would be sufficient

wp-test (normal)
wp-test (bold)
wp-test (right-aligned)
wp-test (italic)

Or a link to an existing document in the web.

Thanks, Mark

rgershey

#10 Post by rgershey »

Here's the simple file you requested...

Hope it works !
Attachments
wptest.zip
(1.16 KiB) Downloaded 323 times

MU

#11 Post by MU »

ok, import works with this file:
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... 3565#23565