How 'bout puppy just asks?

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

How 'bout puppy just asks?

#1 Post by nduanetesh »

Ok, so here's a crazy thought...

The problem is that the first time you boot up a multisession CD, when there's only one track on the CD, puppy can't tell if it's multisession or not. Correct? But when there is more than one track on the CD, it can tell. Correct?

Ok, so how 'bout this: Puppy just asks. If puppy boots and finds no pup001 anywhere, it asks you whether you burned this to be a multisession disc. If you're a smart enough user to knowingly burn a multisession Cd, then you're smart enough to answer "yes or no" when puppy boots up and asks, "is this a multisession cd?" If the answer is "no", that answer gets stored on the newly created pup001 on the hard drive, and puppy never asks you again. If the answer is "yes", any time you boot the cd after this, the disc will have two tracks on it (at least) and puppy won't need to ask.

If you normally run a non-multi disc and have a pup001 file, and you decide to try out a fancy multisession disc, puppy will not ask on bootup, but we make a small menu item that says "Establish this disc as multisession", which then ensures that the required burning takes place at the end of the session. After that, the disc will automatically be detected as multisession.

I know it's not terribly elegant, and I probably made the explanation way more comlicated than it needed to be...but I wanted to make sure all of the bases were covered. I'm sure everyone would prefer if this all happened automagically, but maybe this would work as an interim solution, until some smart people get this whole "initial boot of a multisession cd" figured out.

Thoughts?

ND

JaDy

#2 Post by JaDy »

For consideration about Multi-session automatic recognition:
I gather from reading the threads that Puppy can easily recognize if the CD has two or more tracks, so, whenever a new multi-session CD is built, burn twice, the system files on the first track and the pup001 file on the second track.
Felicitations & Facilitations, Rev. John G. Derrickson
Wrote fast. Goofs happen. Tell me.