Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 19 Sep 2014, 22:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Puppy 4.1.1 does not recognize media card reader...
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
kjacobs

PostPosted: Wed 17 Dec 2008, 03:59    Post subject:  Puppy 4.1.1 does not recognize media card reader...
Subject description: SD Photo card not available

Here is a new one....for me, at least.

I am running Puppy 4.1.1 and I just inserted an SD card into the card reader on my machine. I cannot find the SD card anywhere. I tried to mount it, but it is not available to mount. The card reader also has a usb port on the front and it works fine. Any ideas on what to do or look for to fix this?

Thanks.
Fossil

PostPosted: Wed 17 Dec 2008, 08:01    Post subject:  

kjacobs,
Can we assume the card reader is built in to the computer? Can it read any other media card via Puppy? Is this the first time this SD card has failed to be recognised? Does the card still function without any problems within your camera?
Perhaps the card has been damaged in some way. Has it ever been reformatted within the computer or within the camera? What about the strip of contacts running along the card's edge - are they clean and free from dirt or finger grease? Very unlikely, but has the card been subjected to any strong magnets or electro-magnetic devices?
Otherwise, check the reader's connection to the computer's motherboard, just on the off-chance of something having worked loose.
davids45

PostPosted: Wed 17 Dec 2008, 19:19    Post subject:  

G'day,
Further to Fossil's suggestions, try "hard-earthing" the computer to remove any static build-up affecting the reader.
Turn off the computer at the power-point but leave it plugged in to the point. With the power still OFF, push in the computer's on button for about 5 seconds. You may see a few LEDs quickly flash.
Then turn on the power and re-start the computer. Works with Medion computers and their non-Linux-friendly card readers.
David S.
kjacobs

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec 2008, 04:29    Post subject:  

Sorry, yes the card reader is installed in the computer. I think the problem must be specifically with the SD card slot, as the usb port on the reader works fine as does the CF card slot. The cards came out of a working camera, which we use all the time. So, it appears that I have a bum card slot, although the card reader LED does light when I insert a SD card. It just will not allow me to mount the SD card. Funny that when I had Ubuntu installed a month or so ago, I used that same SD card slot to move files from a hard drive to the SD card. Rats....

Any other ideas? Thanks for the input and help.
Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec 2008, 11:50    Post subject:  

On a Dell Inspiron E1505, which has a built-in SD card reader slot, Puppy 4.11-k2.6.25.16 running from live-CD, the SD card reader is visible.

If I boot with my SD card in the reader, it gets a drive icon in the HotPup row. It is labelled "mmcblk0p1". If I boot without my SD card in the reader, and after the desktop comes up I then insert the SD card, HotPup gives it a drive icon, as it should. Removing the SD card makes the icon disappear. So, all is OK.

lsmod shows the sdhci sd reader module to be loaded.

Perhaps if you issue
Code:
modprobe sdhci
you will be able to use the drive.

If the modprobe sdhci command makes the card visible, then add it to the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

HTH, SHS
kjacobs

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec 2008, 12:15    Post subject:  

Thanks for the ideas...I tried the modprobe sdhci command in a terminal. Nothing happened. I typed lsmod and a long list of stuff came up. Not sure what to make of it, though...
Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec 2008, 13:59    Post subject:  

Code:
modprobe sdhci
lsmod | grep sdhci
and if sdhci is loaded, you will see a line.

It might help to know the make/model of computer.
Fossil

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec 2008, 14:08    Post subject:  

Assuming the camera is a recent model, you could just try attaching it via USB cable to the computer. Something I don't like doing. What of the card itself; can it still be read by the camera? Does it contain 'valuable' photos? If not, consider reformatting it in the camera, and trying again. Otherwise, if it is the SD slot which has died; replace the internal reader or, there are small flash-card sized SD readers on the market, which plug directly into any USB slot.
kjacobs

PostPosted: Sun 21 Dec 2008, 01:02    Post subject:  

My computer is a HP Pavilion a532x with AMD 2800+ and 1GB ram. When I type modprobe sdhci it just gives me a # command prompt on the next line, nothing else.

I have tried 2 different cards with the same results, both perfect working cards. Yes, I could plug the camera in, but the reader should take care of it. I may have to pick another reader if this one is bad....
Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Sun 21 Dec 2008, 02:51    Post subject:  

kjacobs wrote:
My computer is a HP Pavilion a532x with AMD 2800+ and 1GB ram.
Does it carry the 5-in-1 reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO/xD)? If so, try issuing these three commands:
Code:
modprobe tifm_7xx1
modprobe tifm_core
modprobe tifm_sd
followed by
Code:
lsmod | grep tifm
. If there is any output given now by the "lsmod | grep tifm" command, then see if the reader works now. If it does, then put the three modprobe commands at the bottom of /etc/rc.d/rc.local and you should be good to go.

The Linux tifm drivers for that 5-in-1 card are still being debugged and developed, lat
http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml?title=TI_FlashMedia_xx12/xx21_driver
...latest version less than 3 days ago. The reader's manufacturer, Texas Instruments, has not released its internal specs to the Open Source community, so the Linux driver has had to be reverse-engineered, a challenging task. You might be best off to buy a $10 external reader that plugs into the USB port. Or, like Fossil says, just plug the camera into the USB port.
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: