Printer should work but nothing happens, HP P1005

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
villekille

Printer should work but nothing happens, HP P1005

#1 Post by villekille »

This puppu linux is great, the first linux that I plan to keep but there is one big problem. I have a HP P1005 laser printer and I installed it with the CUPS printer wizard. There weren't driver for it but I downloaded a package for that printer and extracted the PPD file to the usr/share/cups/model directory. And now my systems shows that there is a HP P1005 printer IDLE and everything should work..but if I try to print something, I don't get anything..printer does nothing, and if I go to see completed jobs, there aren't anything there, but actually there aren't any queued jobs either..the documents or test pages just seem to disappear and nothing happens. What can I do here?

The connection seems to work, if I shut down the printer, the system shows that the printer is unavailable and when I put it back on the system tells me that it's ready to print.

villekille

#2 Post by villekille »

Update: I found the thread about HPLIPLITE driver and plugins and installed everything as described and now I can find the HPLIP printer and select the correct model from the list and the systems shows that the printer is ready to accept jobs, but still, nothing happens when I try to print something..this time the jobs never leave the "processing job" state.

Aitch

#3 Post by Aitch »

If you open a browser and enter http://localhost:631/printers do you get the CUPS page?
There will probably be two 'printers', a CUPS-PDF, and your printer.
From here you can start/stop the printer, modify and configure, print test page,etc.

Printer State should be; idle, accepting jobs.

If it shows as here, you need to click 'start printer'

Aitch :)

villekille

#4 Post by villekille »

yes I can see it like that. But it's already "started, accepting jobs" and now it is "processing jobs" but nothing happens. I tried to install the driver again, tried to restart my printer, tried to restart CUPS.. :(

Aitch

#5 Post by Aitch »

villekille

#6 Post by villekille »

Finally after many tests with HPLIP I tried to compile that foo2qxq driver from http://foo2xqx.rkkda.com/

It works and prints are fine but still I have one problem. These HP printers need their firmware to be loaded to the printer and it does not work yet even though it should work with the driver..I need to power on the printer and print something in Windows and then the printer will activate and print also when I'm in Puppu Linux..but when the printer is powered off, I also lose the firmware and I need to boot to Windows once again.. :(

That foo2xqx package came with the right firmware, I just don't know how can I manually upload the firmware to the printer. That must be the only problems because it works if I start the printer in windows.

villekille

#7 Post by villekille »

Problem solved

This command will upload the firmware to the printer

cat /usr/share/foo2xqx/firmware/sihpP1005.dl > /dev/usb/lp0

There should be automatical upload function when printer is plugged in but that HOTPLUG -function doesn't seem to work with Puppu Linux, when I tried to install it "# make install-hotplug" it only gave errors.

So to wrap it all up, you need to download puppy linux devx*.sfs file and boot with it enabled and then go to the above mentioned URL and follow the instructions and finally you can make a script file which uploads the printer firmware. Then you just install the printer via CUPS wizard using the foo2xqx driver.

Aitch

#8 Post by Aitch »

Ok, well done!

Can you please edit [blue icon top right] your first post, to show 'solved' in the subject line, so others can see your solution easily, thanks

Aitch :)

hanzf

Same Problem with OfficeJet600

#9 Post by hanzf »

Hello, villekille,

could you please tell me how you found your solution? I have exactly the same problem with a different printer type (OfficeJet600)
Ok, sorry I read it once again and i understood quite something, so i ll try this foo2... thing.

Thanks, H.

rcrsn51

#10 Post by rcrsn51 »

The foo2xqx driver is not designed for your printer. However there is a Gutenprint driver for the OJ600 already in Puppy. Have you tried it? What was the result?

There is also an appropriate driver in the HPIJS package. You can get it from the Puppy Package Manager. Look under the System category.

hanzf

#11 Post by hanzf »

Thank you,

I gave it another try. Now my printer works with the driver "HP OfficeJet600 - CUPS+Gutenprint v 5.0.1". I have no idea what i did wrong the first time...