Sound on HP Pavilion DV2000 laptop

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
Volhout

Sound on HP Pavilion DV2000 laptop

#1 Post by Volhout »

Hi all,

I am new to Linux, and started with a 2.17 iso on an old Gateway 2500 laptop. I was amazed by the ease of installation, and everything worked except the audio. I tried several tip on these forums but could not get it to work. But I liked very much of what I saw.

I bought a better HP Pavilion dv2000 (newer laptop), and burned the latest 4.1.2 on CD). Again, like the 2.17 everything went smooth except for the audio. ALSA indicates it has found intel audio, conexant cx20551 chip. In the modprobe.conf there is an alias for intel audio, but no options snd-hda-intel model=XXX. I addd the line, and tried several things at the XXX

i.e. 20551, CX20551, Conexant 20551, I tried even 5047 or Conexant 5047 (just any other conexant chip), but none seem to work.

The sound mixer (software) volume controls all react to my controls, but no reaction under the hood.
The hardware volume control (up/down buttons, and mute) don't work however.

Can any body shed some light in my darkness ?

ezeze5000

Sound on HP Pavilion and other laptops

#2 Post by ezeze5000 »

I am running several different versions of Puppy on these laptops: puppy 4.0.0, 4.1.1, 4.1.2

I have had several laptops that load sound card drivers, but don't seem to work properly.

Try plugging in a set of headphones or ear buds.

The sound card works just fine, but I can't hear it through the speakers.

Anybody have any thought on this?
If at first you don't succeed try try again!

arr164

HP Pavillion DV2000 sound

#3 Post by arr164 »

I had a similar problem. Mine is a DV2100 with Celeron 1.6GHz. You need to open the sound tray (click on the sound icon on bottom right hand side) to open the tray. Put all controls to maximum. Now the sound through headphone is extremely lous, but through speakers is barely audible!! I guess that's the best we can get with current puppy! The 4.1.1 had the same issue.