Ratpoison Window Manager

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Galbi

Re: works in lupu 5.2.8.6 and Xslacko slim

#16 Post by Galbi »

Colonel Panic wrote:I'm still experimenting with tiling managers at the moment and haven't yet settled on one, but I think dwm is pretty good.
Hi Colonel, just in case you don't know this:
https://linuxbbq.org/cream.html

Happy week end.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

Colonel Panic

Re: works in lupu 5.2.8.6 and Xslacko slim

#17 Post by Colonel Panic »

Galbi wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:I'm still experimenting with tiling managers at the moment and haven't yet settled on one, but I think dwm is pretty good.
Hi Colonel, just in case you don't know this:
https://linuxbbq.org/cream.html

Happy week end.
And to you too!Thanks, I've tried LinuxBBQ; the one problem with it is knowing what the commands are for the various window managers. Ratpoison for example has Ctrl-T, Ctrl-C to open a terminal, but it's something different in i3 (Mod-Enter I believe). It's the same story with launching applications in the various WMs.

My way of doing it is to start off with Blackbox, launch Firefox from there and then switch from Blackbox into whichever tiling or other window manager I'm using at the time; that way I can bring up the manager's homepage in Firefox and read its commands off from there. (It would probably work with Fluxbox or Openbox too, instead of Blackbox).
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

musher0

#18 Post by musher0 »

Hi Colonel Panic.

Here's a thought:
You could make yourself a few cheat sheets of the commands of the window
managers that you use with the name < window_manager.txt >. You would save
them in /root/my-documents.

Then, in /root/Startup you could have a script that goes

Code: Select all

#!/bin/ash
# WM cheat sheet
leafpad /root/my-documents/`cat /etc/windowmanager`.txt
Written like this, the script gets you the info for any WM you are booting with.

IMO, that would be much simpler, faster and more efficient than getting out the
Firefox "regiment" to Timbuctu and back every time you need this info -- when
you actually only need to retrieve a note to yourself from your "local post office"!!! ;)

IHTH. BFN.
Attachments
Echinus-Combinations.zip
Something like this.
(796 Bytes) Downloaded 446 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Colonel Panic

#19 Post by Colonel Panic »

musher0 wrote:Hi Colonel Panic.

Here's a thought:
You could make yourself a few cheat sheets of the commands of the window
managers that you use with the name < window_manager.txt >. You would save
them in /root/my-documents.

Then, in /root/Startup you could have a script that goes

Code: Select all

#!/bin/ash
# WM cheat sheet
leafpad /root/my-documents/`cat /etc/windowmanager`.txt
Written like this, the script gets you the info for any WM you are booting with.

IMO, that would be much simpler, faster and more efficient than getting out the
Firefox "regiment" to Timbuctu and back every time you need this info -- when
you actually only need to retrieve a note to yourself from your "local post office"!!! ;)

IHTH. BFN.
Good idea! AntiX does already do that with its herbstluftwm window manager; when you boot into it for the first time you're greeted with a short document giving you a couple of basic commands, and a note of where to go if you want a tutorial about it. (I think it could give more commands, but at least it's a start).

My comments were more about what to do if you boot into a tiled window manager, such as wmii, for the first time and aren't sure what to do if you want to launch an application, open a new terminal or move to another workspace. And in that situation, the method I was describing at least works.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

musher0

#20 Post by musher0 »

What can I say?

Make yourself a cheat sheet for wmii. Learn it by heart, and then you will NOT have
to load it in wmii. ;)

Joke aside, I do not know wmii. Is it possible in wmii to have an icon on the
desktop to access its cheat sheet ? Or maybe a menu entry at the top or bottom
of its menu? (Somewhere you can't miss!)

In any case, IMO, this is a convenience that all developers of window managers
should provide to their users. A new user should NOT have to write a cheat sheet
for the WM and find an easy way to display it. The logic of this should be obvious
to all devs: a NEW user does not know how to use the WM yet.

IHTH.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Colonel Panic

#21 Post by Colonel Panic »

musher0 wrote:What can I say?

Make yourself a cheat sheet for wmii. Learn it by heart, and then you will NOT have to load it in wmii. ;)

Joke aside, I do not know wmii. Is it possible in wmii to have an icon on the
desktop to access its cheat sheet ? Or maybe a menu entry at the top or bottom
of its menu? (Somewhere you can't miss!)

In any case, IMO, this is a convenience that all developers of window managers
should provide to their users. A new user should NOT have to write a cheat sheet
for the WM and find an easy way to display it. The logic of this should be obvious
to all devs: a NEW user does not know how to use the WM yet.

IHTH.
"Make yourself a cheat sheet for wmii. Learn it by heart, and then you will NOT have
to load it in wmii. ;) "

Sure, but if I've switched to wmii from, say, blackbox after loading a browser such as Firefox then the browser is loaded anyway (since changing the window manager doesn't close the application) so even when I'm in wmii for the first time it's easy to go to to the wmii home page and look up the key bindings.

When you have blackbox installed on your computer and then install a new window manager, the new one normally shows up on blackbox's menu; if it doesn't, the menu can easily be edited.

We may have to agree to differ here, but I still maintain my method's better when you're trying a window manager for the first time. Having a cheat sheet seems to me something you would do if you've found a window manager you like and intend to stick with.

I agree with the rest of your post. Developers should do what you say, but they rarely do; herbstluftwm seems to be the exception, at least if you use it from AntiX.