HOW-TO for the 'lm-sensors' hardware monitoring package.

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
craftybytes

HOW-TO for the 'lm-sensors' hardware monitoring package.

#1 Post by craftybytes »

How to Install and Configure 'lm-sensors' - hardware monitoring package..

By crafty - forum name "craftybytes"..
20/09/2007.

Download from here: http://dotpups.de/dotpups/System_Utilit ... 2.10.4.pet
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/System_Utilit ... s_docs.pet

This is a short how-to on installing the lm-sensors package into Puppy.

Some background info:
=====================

My particular motherboard is a VIA chipset based - ASROCK VIA K7VM4 - with an - AMD Duron 1.8 Ghz CPU.
With a VT8235 Southbridge chip and a Winbond i/o chip, 'sensors-detect' recommended the following drivers for this board -

"i2c-viapro" & "i2c-isa" - for the adapter;
"w83781d" & "w83697hf" - for the sensor chip drivers.

For YOUR motherboard - take note of the drivers "suggested" by 'sensors-detect' - and use those as a start.
If you have problems with the "suggested" drivers - check in your M/B's technical Handbook for the 'chip' types that
are actually used - or - use "google" on the web to check..

Now to the "INSTALL" steps :-
=========================================

1. Install lm-sensors using Petget GUI.

2. In 'rxvt' terminal - type "makedev" (without quotes)..

3. Now in 'rxvt' terminal - type "sensors-detect" (without quotes) and answer YES to all YES/no questions.

I suggest use the ISA bus rather than the SMBus bus, however - YMMV.!!
At the end of the detection phase, a list of modules that needs to be loaded will displayed.
You will need to write these down or print the list for the next steps.

Below is an example of results from sensors-detect:
#************************************************* *****************************
To make the sensors modules behave correctly, add these lines to
/etc/modules:

#----cut here----
# I2C adapter drivers
i2c-viapro
i2c-isa
# I2C chip drivers
eeprom
it87
#----cut here----

To make the sensors modules behave correctly, add these lines to
/etc/modprobe.conf:

#----cut here----
# I2C module options
alias char-major-89 i2c-dev
#----cut here----
#************************************************* *******************************

4. To do this correctly, you should add the modules in reverse order (order is critical!) in "/etc/modules".

Note: for my system - the modules to use were - i2c-viapro (for the adapter driver) and - w83697hf (for the chip driver)..
So for your particular machine these 'drivers' may be different - as listed in the 'sensors-detect' report - just
substitute those for the ones shown in the examples below..

#************************************************* ***********************
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line. Comments begin with
# a "#", and everything on the line after them are ignored.

psmouse
mousedev
ide-cd
ide-disk
ide-generic
lp

#For lm-sensors, i2c modules
it87
i2c-viapro
i2c-isa

#end of file!
#************************************************* ****************

5.Now load the modules manually using modprobe and update the dependencies.

In 'rxvt' terminal - type:

modprobe i2c-dev
modprobe i2c-viapro # or the 'module' that was detected in above 'sensors-detect' step..
modprobe i2c-isa
modprobe it87 # or the 'module' that was detected in above 'sensors-detect' step..

depmod -a <may not be needed!>

#******************************************************************

6. Now test the sensor output using the lm-sensors utility "sensors".

In 'rxvt' terminal - type "sensors" (without quotes)..

# Example 'sensors' output:
#*******************************************************************
it87-isa-0290
Adapter: ISA adapter
VCore 1: +1.57 V (min = +1.42 V, max = +1.57 V) ALARM
VCore 2: +2.66 V (min = +2.40 V, max = +2.61 V) ALARM
+3.3V: +6.59 V (min = +3.14 V, max = +3.46 V) ALARM
+5V: +5.11 V (min = +4.76 V, max = +5.24 V)
+12V: +11.78 V (min = +11.39 V, max = +12.61 V)
-12V: -19.14 V (min = -12.63 V, max = -11.41 V) ALARM
-5V: +0.77 V (min = -5.26 V, max = -4.77 V) ALARM
Stdby: +5.00 V (min = +4.76 V, max = +5.24 V)
VBat: +3.12 V
fan1: 3668 RPM (min = 0 RPM, div =
fan2: 0 RPM (min = 664 RPM, div = ALARM
fan3: 0 RPM (min = 2657 RPM, div = 2) ALARM
M/B Temp: +39°C (low = +15°C, high = +40°C) sensor = thermistor
CPU Temp: +36°C (low = +15°C, high = +45°C) sensor = thermistor
Temp3: +96°C (low = +15°C, high = +45°C) sensor = diode
#**********************************************************************

7. If the above output looks suspect - then :
in 'rxvt' terminal - type "sensors -s" (without quotes)..
Then type "sensors" (without quotes)..

The output should hopefully now be what one would expect for YOUR particular
M/B's sensors readings..
If not - you may need to 'tweak' the settings in the "/etc/sensors.conf" file - as per step 9. below..

8. Reboot Puppy and the sensors should now be detected during the boot process properly!

9. The sensor output may be tweaked by editing the "/etc/sensors.conf" file. It is also possible to correct
inaccurate scaling too. For details check "man sensors.conf.

Note: for my M/B's settings - I had to adjust the '-12V' & '-5V' scaling formulas - to get 'sensible' readings - YMMV..!!

#==================================================================================

I hope this helps for those Puppy users who elect to install the 'lm-sensors' package - it does work and goes well with either 'conky' or 'Gkrellm' or even 'Torsmo' for continuous desktop monitoring..

Crafty.
3 x boot:- ASROCK VIA 'all-in-one' m/b; AMD Duron 1.8Ghz+; 1.0GB RAM; 20GB hdd (WinXP Pro); 80GB hdd (MEPIS 3.4-3/Puppy v2.15CE Frugal); 1GB USB pendrive (Puppy 2.15CE Frugal); CD/DVDRW; 17" LCD monitor; HSF 56k modem... MEPIS is great.. Puppy ROCKS..

oldbox

Thanks! Help!

#2 Post by oldbox »

Thanks for the very clear writeup.
I followed the instructions, and found that, possibly, on my machine, I don't have an available sensors device. Answering yes to every prompt while running sensors-detect revealed no devices. That was no big problem.
Next, I decided to uninstall the .pet packages with puppy's manager. Is there anything else/additional I should have done to uninstall lmsensors and lmsensors-docs properly? I removed them both at once, got one confirmation that it (docs I believe) had been removed, and then the .pet/.pup manager terminated after a little more disk activity. Perhaps I should note that this was on a NON-FRUGAL HD install, of 3.01. Since doing this removal and shutting down, my X is broken. I can use xorgwizard all I like and never even get a successful test screen. Booting from the CD yields no problems, and I have even deleted every xorg-ish file from my /etc/X11 directory and copied over the /xorg.conf, xorg,0, and a thired xorg.(something) file from the directory created in memory by the live system. Nothing allows me to achieve an X window now via the HD installation. I've looked at the files in the removed .pet packages, and nothing seems to look like a file from /etc/X11 or have anything with xorg as part of it's path, so extracting and replacing files from the lmsensors.pet archive has not given me a clue as to what files I might try.

Is it really possible that I've borked my X by removing these .pet packages and/or the cessation of the package manager, or have I forgotten something else I did to break it? More importantly, is there anything I can do from the terminal or by booting differently, to rescue the current HD installation?

Thanks for ideas...

craftybytes

#3 Post by craftybytes »

Sorry to hear about your 'X' not working any more..

I do not understand why the removal of the 'Lm-sensors' packages with the Package Manager should cause any hassles with Puppy's 'X' system..!! :oops:

That being the case - I would suggest that you actually post this problem in the "Beginners Help" or "User" sections of the forum - hopefully some knowledgable Puppy user(s) might be able to give assistance.. :wink:

I really have no clue as to what the problem might be nor any idea as to how to fix it - sorry.. :?

crafty.
3 x boot:- ASROCK VIA 'all-in-one' m/b; AMD Duron 1.8Ghz+; 1.0GB RAM; 20GB hdd (WinXP Pro); 80GB hdd (MEPIS 3.4-3/Puppy v2.15CE Frugal); 1GB USB pendrive (Puppy 2.15CE Frugal); CD/DVDRW; 17" LCD monitor; HSF 56k modem... MEPIS is great.. Puppy ROCKS..

oldbox

#4 Post by oldbox »

craftybytes wrote:.
Sorry to hear about your 'X' not working any more..

I do not understand why the removal of the 'Lm-sensors' packages with the Package Manager should cause any hassles with Puppy's 'X' system..!! :oops:

That being the case - I would suggest that you actually post this problem in the "Beginners Help" or "User" sections of the forum - hopefully some knowledgable Puppy user(s) might be able to give assistance.. :wink:

I really have no clue as to what the problem might be nor any idea as to how to fix it - sorry.. :?

crafty.
Thanks for the (crafty) reply, crafty.
I also have no idea why the removal could have done this, and probably it didn't. In case I find out what happened, I'll be back to add to/edit this post, too.

YES! I must have been wrong about why my 'X' broke.
2 files had gone missing from /usb/lib, and once they were replaced from the CD, I once again had working 'X'

Sorry for the distraction, back to proper hardware monitoring discussions!
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Aung

#5 Post by Aung »

@ crafty, sensor-detect got this far in Puppy 411

Do you want to add these lines automatically? (yes/NO)y
Sorry, can't create /etc/modules (Is a directory)?!? at /usr/sbin/sensors-detect line 5904, <STDIN> line 7.
#

And its not telling lies, /etc/modules is a diretory with DOTconfig and formware.dep only in it. Where to from here. Aung