shareInternet-2.2.6.pet - Puppy as router - bugfix

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
gcmartin

#106 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Ted Dog
Ted Dog wrote:I have a tplink wr702n. and wanted it to run a AP wireless network as a local network, ...
You should be able to run it as an AP as you suggest. It can be either a wireless AP provided services to wireless devices, or for some routers, both wired and wireless.

If your router is new, you can appeal to their telephone support for assistance. If its not, their support website or various forums (including this forum) can assist if you need.

I dont have your brand of router.

Hope this helps

Ted Dog

#107 Post by Ted Dog »

I think it is broken... lights are green but cant get to a web based configuration screen. I have even tried windows 8.1 and nothing.. but found out I did not check everything on my upgrade to wi 8.1 and the keyboard under win8.1 no longer works after login and usb is wacky as well. the internet is full of complainers about that new class of bugs.. :roll:
may have to actually hook it up to a internet cable to change setting via its web interface. Im guessing the USB cable came with it is power only.

Ted Dog

#108 Post by Ted Dog »

after rebuilding win8.1 (copied disk image with fatdog64 ) was able to find setting for direct ip with eth0 to get to the control webpage of device. Turned on the DHCP setting now can see this on wifi without internet. Discovered that eth0 still works along with wireless so this is ideal. My main box has no wireless but plenty of harddrive bays and bluray drives, so now everybody can talk.

jafadmin

#109 Post by jafadmin »

@gyro

I downloaded this over the weekend to hopefully make a thumbdrive router. I set aside a 4 hour timeblock to work on it. It took 15 minutes. :mrgreen:

So I went to the driving range.

Thanks so much for this app. So powerful, yet effortless to use.

BTW, I built the router thumbdrive using Precise 5.7.1 retro.

gcmartin

PC router PET with dependency

#110 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Gyro

Question:
  • Some PUPs come with DNSMASQ built in (OOTB). Is there a chance that you could package a PET which merely uses the existing, sometimes newer DNSMASQ installed or can detect the dependency?
Thus, the opening post would have 2 PETs: Current one with built-in DNSMASQ and the one without DNSMASQ.

There is the advantage that your PET could be valuable in both 32bit and 64bit PUP distros.

Thanks for any consideration

gyro

#111 Post by gyro »

Sorry for the delay, I don't look at this topic very often.

@jafadmin
Thanks for the comments, I'm glad it is useful to you.

@gcmartin
I've uploaded 2.2.5 which does not contain any DNSMASQ.
I figure that most current puppies can simply get it from the repository of the parent distribution.

gyro

SFR

#112 Post by SFR »

Hey Gyro

I am using shareInternet (along with hostapd) since Slacko-5.5 and it's great!
However I've been always wondering if the 'iptables' part needs some adjusting, because I'm getting this:

Code: Select all

# ./AppRun start
[ -f /etc/dnsmasq.conf ] && dnsmasq -a "10.0.0.1" -F "10.0.0.100,10.0.0.200,60000" -l "/tmp/dnsmasq.leases.10.0.0"
iptables v1.4.14: 
The "nat" table is not intended for filtering, the use of DROP is therefore inhibited.

Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.
[repeated 4 times]
and it's caused by this:

#
# We don't like the NetBIOS and Samba leaking..
#
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p TCP --dport 135:139 -j DROP
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p UDP --dport 135:139 -j DROP
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p TCP --dport 445 -j DROP
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p UDP --dport 445 -j DROP
Not sure if it's really that important, just reporting. ;)

Thanks &
Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

gyro

#113 Post by gyro »

@SFR
Try 2.2.6, see first post.

gyro

SFR

#114 Post by SFR »

Alright, thanks for the update.

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

trlkly

#115 Post by trlkly »

Why not create an actual menu entry? That's the most intuitive way for things to work with a PET. I'd model it after the x11vnc script, which will inform you if it's working and prompt to install it permanently, as well as tell you to run it again to uninstall.

And why not set dnsmasq as a dependency, or have the script go get it from the repository? If that's not possible, at least launching PPM and giving instructions would be nice.

I could also see adding a help button to your error messages that would link to a readme with more information, instead of just having the readme in the forum.

Because, honestly, I think your pet should come with Puppy. This type of sharing comes with most OSes nowadays. It could be integrated into any Network configuration program. But you have to get it as easy as possible to use first.

And you're so close!

trlkly

#116 Post by trlkly »

BTW, the readme you do provide is a little confusing. You don't leave the Gateway and such stuff blank, but set it to 0.0.0.0. Leaving it actually blank often causes programs to tell you "you must enter Gateway" or similar.

gyro

#117 Post by gyro »

trlkly wrote:BTW, the readme you do provide is a little confusing. You don't leave the Gateway and such stuff blank, but set it to 0.0.0.0. Leaving it actually blank often causes programs to tell you "you must enter Gateway" or similar.
Then such a program is simply wrong, from an IP networking perspective.
But, I'm not interested in arguing about, or working on this program anymore. The existing code demonstrates how to do the actual deed. If anyone wants to make it pretty in some different way then go for it.

gyro

MyPuppysaysWauWau

I can connect the devices, but not the Internet

#118 Post by MyPuppysaysWauWau »

Hi gyro,

I installed ap-hotspot with dependencies and further needful stuff for the wifi connection. But Previously w/o shareInternet. I could activate the hotspot, but not connect. In the debug-mode, i got i.a. the message:
iptables v1.4.12: can't initialize iptables table `nat': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
Yet I've installed shareInternet, now I can connect both devices, but not connect to the Internet.

ap-hotspot debug says:

Whats going wrong? :(

Regards,
Walter
Last edited by MyPuppysaysWauWau on Sat 02 May 2015, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.
[size=100][color=darkblue][b]Don't[/b] start because it's [i]easy.[/i] [b]Start[/b] because it's [i]worth trying[/i]. [b]Don't [/b]stop because it's [i]hard[/i]. [b]Stop[/b] because you tried your [i]Best[/i].[/color][/size]

rcrsn51

#119 Post by rcrsn51 »

A number of recent Puppies are missing some iptables components. The last one that worked for me was Slacko 5.6-4G.

8Geee

#120 Post by 8Geee »

Is there a link/pet/DL for that particular version? TIA
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

gyro

Re: I can connect the devices, but not the Internet

#121 Post by gyro »

MyPuppysaysWauWau wrote:iptables v1.4.12: can't initialize iptables table `nat': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
You probably need to "insmod" one or more of the nat modules in "kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter"

Edit:
Might be better to use "modprobe" instead of "insmod".

Edit2:
Try "modprobe -v iptable_nat"

gyro

MyPuppysaysWauWau

#122 Post by MyPuppysaysWauWau »

gyro wrote: Try "modprobe -v iptable_nat"

gyro
Thx :)

But I got the message: "FATAL: Module iptable_nat not found"
[size=100][color=darkblue][b]Don't[/b] start because it's [i]easy.[/i] [b]Start[/b] because it's [i]worth trying[/i]. [b]Don't [/b]stop because it's [i]hard[/i]. [b]Stop[/b] because you tried your [i]Best[/i].[/color][/size]

gyro

#123 Post by gyro »

MyPuppysaysWauWau wrote:But I got the message: "FATAL: Module iptable_nat not found"
Yep, the kernel modules in precise 5.7.1 are rather different than those in tahrpup 6.0.2.
But it's worse, i couldn't find any nat module at all. Then I found a possible explanation, the configuration file for the kernel compile conatins the following line:

# CONFIG_NF_NAT_IPV4 is not set
This means that nat support is not compiled into the kernel.
So looks like no go without a kernel compile.

gyro

MyPuppysaysWauWau

#124 Post by MyPuppysaysWauWau »

Gyro, I don't need Wifi often... only for upgrading my Tablet, or for a new app. Shall I make a dual boot with tahrpup? What do you think?

If yes, which "extras" do I need for a wifi routing e.g. ap-hotspot?

gyro

download Slacko 5.6-4G

#125 Post by gyro »

8Geee wrote:Is there a link/pet/DL for that particular version? TIA
Try http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-5.6/ or http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... puppy-5.6/

gyro