shareInternet-2.2.6.pet - Puppy as router - bugfix

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
mpierrat25

tuto

#91 Post by mpierrat25 »

[Resolved] sorry forgot this post I just re read the thread and I got it!!

I'like to test and use this facility but failed , please help.

My config :

wrt54G feeding puppypc via Wifi (wlan0 slacko 5.4)
puppypc connected via ethernet (eth0) to android netbook

as soon as i run shareinternet I lost the Internet on wlan0

Please let me know how to setup interfaces.

regards

Atle

#92 Post by Atle »

Has anyone tried, have opinion or experience with replacing the Ethernet with a USB cable? I think my crossed ethernet cable is broken and also see that using USB might... thats a might... be just as good? Or?

Agnishom

#93 Post by Agnishom »

I am using Lucid Puppy 528. I installed the dotpet but I cannot find an way to start the program.

What to do?

Semme

#94 Post by Semme »

Agnishom- is pups firewall enabled? You should have a few scripts in /usr/local/shareInternet..

Read on.. you might not need it.

gyro

#95 Post by gyro »

Agnishom wrote:I installed the dotpet but I cannot find an way to start the program.
If I remember correctly there is a ROX application somewhere in "/root". Could be in "/root/my-applications" or something like "/root/my-rox-applications".
When you find it, you can just drag it to the desktop.

gyro

Atle

#96 Post by Atle »

Gyro...

I might be out of luck here, but is there a way to share internet using USB cables or even a USB hub? Could that possibly work?

How about "one to one" PC connection as twisted Ehternet does?

gyro

#97 Post by gyro »

Atle wrote:I might be out of luck here, but is there a way to share internet using USB cables or even a USB hub? Could that possibly work?
Basically you are out of luck. USB is not usually part of networking.
Atle wrote:How about "one to one" PC connection as twisted Ehternet does?
Yes, here you have a chance. First thing to watch is that you may need a "crossover" cable.
If you connect both PC's to an ethernet switch, this will be sorted automatically by the switch.

gyro

Atle

#98 Post by Atle »

Hi Gyro...

I used to have a smartphone. And that could share internet by USB or Wlan.

Due to the Wlan using all the battery, I normally used USB and also then charged the phone at the same time.

Puppy Linux has so far just accepted the USB connection as IF it was a normal ethernet coming out of a router.

I could test this my self, but dont have the gear as we speak.

But what i wanted to test was if you use a Puppy that supports ShareInternet and hook it up to a USB hub in order to hook up more Puppy computers, if that would provide internet sharing?

I guess the main issue is a matter of testing, but also if ShareInternet could share internet using USB, as my android did.

Imagine playing LAN games over USB :-) OR other possibilities that arises.

Justplaying around with the idea as ShareInternet is ranked as one of the very best pets out there. ITs homebrew and uniqe

gyro

#99 Post by gyro »

Atle,

shareInternet simply doesn't work at that level. It only works after you have 2 working network interfaces. Usually you can see these using the "ifconfig" command in a console.
So, if you find a way to get Puppy to talk IP over USB, then shareInternet will do what you want. If Puppy can't do it, then shareInternet won't either.
Imagine playing LAN games over USB
I can't get my mind past the simplicity of playing LAN games over an ethernet switch.

Gyro

Atle

#100 Post by Atle »

:-)

Thanks Gyro...

I try just for the fun, if i get my hands on the right gear:-)

Ted Dog

#101 Post by Ted Dog »

I bit the bullit and got a android phone with the carriers 4G lte coverage on my Ranch. Which has always been an AT&T oddity. They have always had way more spot coverage in my zone. I expect that was due to the Motorola manufacturing plant about 20 miles away. I think they must have had a cell tower test equipment spreader nearby because of existing microwave back haul superhighway line of sight between ATT San Antonio and Houston that goes directly chest high across my property. The usb tether idea would be nice as well for me for the same power usage problem other poster pointed out.
My current sprint cell company mifi has the expected lousy coverage my distance and terrain should have.

dwwideman

problems with bridge

#102 Post by dwwideman »

hello all, this is my first post. thanks to all who have helped on this forum, i hope that someday i will have enough experience to do the same.

my configuration......

internet(wifi router) >>>>>> usb wifi adapter >>puppy box>>ethernet card >>>>> wifi router(Netgear) >>>>>>(android phones, tablets, etc...)

i am trying to use the netgear wifi router for my home, to connect adroid phoned, tablets, etc... the internet gateway and other wifi router is at my dads house. i use the usb wifi adapter on my puppy box to connect to it. i want to pipe the connection through the ethernet card to the netgear router here at my house.

i can connect to wifi internet with puppy box, i can connect to netgear router with android phones.shareinternet2.2.4 is showing green circle, but i cant get through

wifi router/gateway.....192.168.1.1 dhcp server192.168.1.100>>199
usb adapter...............192.168.1.102
ethernet card.............192.168.0.6(static)
netgear router............192.168.0.1 dhcp server192.168.0.2>>254

gyro

#103 Post by gyro »

dwwideman,

I suggest you try using your Netgear router as just a wifi access point, not a router. The puppy box is the router.
Do this by connecting the ethernet cable to a lan port on the Netgear router, not the wan port.
Also disable the dhcp server on the Netgear. Again this service is provided by the puppy box.

You can easily test Internet access by using one of the other lan ports on the Netgear.

Devices connected to the Netgear, should see the IP address of the puppy ethernet card, as their gateway address.

OR
You could try just setting the IP address of the puppy ethernet card to 192.168.2.1

gyro
Last edited by gyro on Mon 09 Dec 2013, 15:30, edited 2 times in total.

Ted Dog

#104 Post by Ted Dog »

I have a tplink wr702n. and wanted it to run a AP wireless network as a local network, but it needs a ethernet cable hook into a router to work. Would this be what I need. No actual internet is hooked up.

gyro

#105 Post by gyro »

Ted Dog,

The wifi routers I have used, will quite happily act as a local wireless network hub, when configured as a router, but with nothing connected to the WAN port.

gyro

gcmartin

#106 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Ted Dog
Ted Dog wrote:I have a tplink wr702n. and wanted it to run a AP wireless network as a local network, ...
You should be able to run it as an AP as you suggest. It can be either a wireless AP provided services to wireless devices, or for some routers, both wired and wireless.

If your router is new, you can appeal to their telephone support for assistance. If its not, their support website or various forums (including this forum) can assist if you need.

I dont have your brand of router.

Hope this helps

Ted Dog

#107 Post by Ted Dog »

I think it is broken... lights are green but cant get to a web based configuration screen. I have even tried windows 8.1 and nothing.. but found out I did not check everything on my upgrade to wi 8.1 and the keyboard under win8.1 no longer works after login and usb is wacky as well. the internet is full of complainers about that new class of bugs.. :roll:
may have to actually hook it up to a internet cable to change setting via its web interface. Im guessing the USB cable came with it is power only.

Ted Dog

#108 Post by Ted Dog »

after rebuilding win8.1 (copied disk image with fatdog64 ) was able to find setting for direct ip with eth0 to get to the control webpage of device. Turned on the DHCP setting now can see this on wifi without internet. Discovered that eth0 still works along with wireless so this is ideal. My main box has no wireless but plenty of harddrive bays and bluray drives, so now everybody can talk.

jafadmin

#109 Post by jafadmin »

@gyro

I downloaded this over the weekend to hopefully make a thumbdrive router. I set aside a 4 hour timeblock to work on it. It took 15 minutes. :mrgreen:

So I went to the driving range.

Thanks so much for this app. So powerful, yet effortless to use.

BTW, I built the router thumbdrive using Precise 5.7.1 retro.

gcmartin

PC router PET with dependency

#110 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Gyro

Question:
  • Some PUPs come with DNSMASQ built in (OOTB). Is there a chance that you could package a PET which merely uses the existing, sometimes newer DNSMASQ installed or can detect the dependency?
Thus, the opening post would have 2 PETs: Current one with built-in DNSMASQ and the one without DNSMASQ.

There is the advantage that your PET could be valuable in both 32bit and 64bit PUP distros.

Thanks for any consideration