how to prevent screen going blank while watching movies

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
labbe5

how to prevent screen going blank while watching movies

#1 Post by labbe5 »

I have had this problem for a while : watching a movie, then the screen goes blank after 10 minutes, though i have a setting with my video player not to use screensaver while watching a movie.

The only thing that helped is remove xautolock. Since then, my video player is using my setting to stop going blank while watching a movie.

If you are a Dog user, you remove such an app with apt : sudo apt remove xautolock.

You can ask for configuration to be removed as well : sudo apt remove --purge xautolock.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Uh, I thought sudo didn't work in Puppy. Puppy runs as root, so doesn't need sudo. Please explain.

phat7

#3 Post by phat7 »

What is xautolock?

Sailor Enceladus

#4 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

I have the option to turn this on and off in Menu -> Desktop -> pupx :)

I think nic007 reported that changing it this way doesn't stick after reboots though.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(19.78 KiB) Downloaded 179 times

nic007

#5 Post by nic007 »

Generally the particular video player will have a setting in its preferences to disable screensaver during playback but setting it there does not always stick (Mplayer is problematic but VLC normally works). Tahr has an application called ScreenControl (accessible via the menu) to toggle screensaver on or off, works well. One can also use the commands

Code: Select all

xset off
and

Code: Select all

xset on
to toggle between the two.