For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
colabear

#61 Post by colabear »

That's the check sum I get.

$ md5sum MediaPup1-0a.iso
34584d1dc22c610db645e2a8139cc927 MediaPup1-0a.iso

puppup

#62 Post by puppup »

do all puplet derivatives work as multisession discs? (once iso is burned on dvd-r) I'm interested in trying puppy linux or a puplet.

what's a recommended program? something similar to grafpup (intended towards graphic imaging). along with basic user programs like firefox, music player, pdf foxit.

battleshooter

#63 Post by battleshooter »

@ Colabear
colabear wrote:That's the check sum I get.

$ md5sum MediaPup1-0a.iso
34584d1dc22c610db645e2a8139cc927 MediaPup1-0a.iso
Sigh, and I was hoping for an easy fix. Well a bit of searching around the forum, and it this seems to be a problem for the 4.12 series with no easy explanation. Some say it's needing a battery change (CMOS I'm assuming) others say it can be got around by booting from grub. Other than that and giving you a link to further your searches, I'm afraid I'm of no help.

In case no one's introduced it to you, this is the search engine most forum members use: http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

@ Puppup:

I'm sure most derivatives work fine as multisessions as most of them are built directly on the main Puppy releases. So unless someone deliberately changes some scripts (which I doubt) multisessions on puplets work fine.

The latest graphics editing puplet is now PAW (Puppy Artists Workshop)

Puplet page here and main thread here

Battleshooter
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

colabear

#64 Post by colabear »

Thanks BattleShooter.

Yeah, this was driving me nuts. The standard 4.1.2 and 4.2 work fine on all my machines but I can get MediaPup, which of course is the one I really want to test, working on any. Thanks anyway, I guess I'll have to wait for the 4.2 version of MediaPup.

Its all good. All good things to those who wait. . .

vtpup

Re: Error booting MediaPup CD

#65 Post by vtpup »

colabear wrote:Hello I'm having a problem booting the MediaPup CD.

I've double checked md2sum on multiple CDs of multiple downloads. Was able to install Puppy Linux 4.12 and 4.2 on the same machine, but MediaPup will not load.

I get the same error:

Searching for Puppy files in computer disk drives...pup_412.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console...
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

Can someone point me in the right direction? TIA.
Sorry, I've been away again. This looks like a problem relating to the previous installs interacting with mediapup in some way -- the error message seems to be referring to an sfs file which is not mediapup. You haven't indicated whether you are simply tying to run mediapup from CD or from an install you did beside your other installs.

Sorry I can't help more, but if I were troubleshooting, this is where I'd start concentrating.

Generally when Mediapup can't boot on a newer computer, you get the classic "kernel panic" message right away -- I found this happened when I tried a mixed PATA SATA drive machine with an unusual bios setup. So your message looks different than the "new machine, old kernel" problem.

In fact if you can boot a standard 412 retro disk, you should be able to boot Mediapup. If you can't, there's the problem.

If you can boot the 412 retro puppy, then I'd focus my interest on the installs, and if frugals particularly the sfs and support files.

Sorry I'm on the forum so infequently these days.... hope this helps

russoodle

Another Download Mirror..

#66 Post by russoodle »

Hi guys....another direct download link for you (single file, 322mb):

http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... up1-0a.iso
http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... so.md5.txt

User: puppy
Pass: linux

Thank you vtpup, it runs well on my IBM T40P (which is about 2004 vintage, i think)....first time i've used Pixia since flipping Win the big bird!

:)

russoodle
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

vtpup

#67 Post by vtpup »

Thanks russdoodle, I'm also running it on a T30 Thinkpad.

Besides Pixia, there's also Photofiltre available, I like that one a lot -- it is available elsewhere on the forum -- the older version there is preferable to the newer ones at the official website, I think.

I'm thinking about how to get MediaPup working on a later kernel version of Puppy -- preferably (for me at this stage) still 4.1.2 without having to re-do all of the work that went into it originally. It was something like a week of resolving dependencies, with searches all over the place for compatible versions of the deps with the older kernel.

The other problem with bringing it into the later kernel version of 4.1.2 was that K3b and Pmount conflicted when accessing external DVD drives -- and I don't think I ever resolved that problem. K3b seems a must have for this kind of thing, so the easy way out was dropping to the retro kernel.

Ideally we'd get rid of Mediapup altogether and find an easy way to migrate it into an sfs. I started down that road but didn't have time to continue -- anyone else care to pick it up?

EDIT: Well, thinking about it, a Mediapup sfs would be fine, but we probably would still want the puplet version for use as a standalone CD for portable editing. Plus it seems to draw newcomers into Puppy Linux from the video fields, whic is a nice plus.

russoodle

#68 Post by russoodle »

You're welcome, vtpup....i have some screenshots and bit of a description up now, too:
http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... l#mediapup

Thanks for that info re Photofiltre...i've downloaded the Wine pet but haven't had an opportunity to try it yet. I really like that program too and used it heaps in my Windoze days...

Wish i could help with the techie/programming side of things, with dependencies and all those developer's headaches but am still clueless where all that stuff's concerned, sorry...however, i do appreciate the effort that all you devs put in so the rest of us get to have a great time with it all :D
vtpup wrote: EDIT: Well, thinking about it, a Mediapup sfs would be fine, but we probably would still want the puplet version for use as a standalone CD for portable editing. Plus it seems to draw newcomers into Puppy Linux from the video fields, whic is a nice plus.
Think you're on to something there, regarding drawing newcomers into our Puppy Linux vortex 8) Probably a good idea to keep the puplet, IMO anyway..

russoodle
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

sunburnt

#69 Post by sunburnt »

Odd problem also... Tries to load SFS to ram even though PC only has 256MB.
There`s code to decide if there is enough ram for the SFS. What happened?
I put pfix=noram, which should solve the trouble, but it still tries to load to ram!
It`s never going to run if this isn`t solved! I`ve hacked Barry`s code before...

Another one; ChoicePup can`t find the SFS file, I use: pdev=hda1, & psubdir=ChoicePup.
MediaPup, Puppy400, BrowserPup, PupArcade, & TinyCore all do, what`s the problem?

vtpup

#70 Post by vtpup »

I didn't make any changes to 4.1.2 retro at all in making Mediapup, except to add the programs and their dependencies.

Unless inadvertent.

So I don't have an answer for the problem in your case.

Have you tried to see whether official 412 retro runs on your machine? And whether that problem occurs for you there, with your hardware?

I wonder if the Puppy code realizes it is bigger than 100 megabytes. If that is the problem, this might indicate that the official Puppy remaster code in 412 retro didn't do its job when Mediapup was created, or possibly that size recognition on boot isn't working properly.

The fact that pfix= noram doesn't work is however confusing. That's more of a defeat of function problem.

Sorry, wish I knew the answer. One way of testing through might be to create a quick test puplet in 412 retro larger than 256 megabytes and see if the same thing happens.

sunburnt

#71 Post by sunburnt »

vtpup; No I have not tried 412, all I have is 400 and 431.
Have you tried using the pfix=noram, or do you know anyone who has?

It`s scary and frustrating that versions of Puppy have such different behavior.
I can understand apps. and such having trouble on some PCs, but ram / noram?

# I will probably have to hack the boot code and stop it from loading to ram.
I really need MediaPup, I was doing media with WinBlows, but I quit the habit.

sunburnt

#72 Post by sunburnt »

I think I found the first problem... Line # 608 of MediaPup`s init file:

Code: Select all

[ $RAMSIZE -gt 220000 -a "$PCOPY" = "yes" ] && COPY2RAM="yes" #256MB system.
It sets the allowed ram size at 225 MB for copying the SFS file.
This ignores any increases in the size of the SFS file!!! ( very sad...)

Now I`ll look at why the pfix=noram isn`t working. Back at ya...

# Addendum: I found it... The code line above overrides the pfix=noram !!!
Further up in the code: PCOPY=$pfix
And as you can see in the code above, that`s thrown into the trash can.

Line # 992 has the "if" branch statement for copying to ram.
### The SFS file`s size really needs to be checked in the line above...

# Use "pfix" to control loading SFS to ram, if load to ram leave 128 MB free...

# This is line # 992 in the file: /init that`s inside the file: initrd.gz
 ####################	HACK:  Use pfix, or make small amount of ram work.
 if [ -n "`echo $pfix | grep 'noram'`" ];then COPY2RAM='no'
 else
  sfsFILE=/mnt/`echo $PUPSFS | cut -d , -f 1,3 | cut -d \' -f 2 | sed 's#,##'`
  sfsSIZE=`stat -t $sfsFILE | cut -d " " -f 2`
  if [ $sfsSIZE -gt `expr $RAMSIZE - 131072` ];then		# leave 128MB free ram
   COPY2RAM='yes' ;else COPY2RAM='no' ;fi
 fi	#########################################################################

sunburnt

#73 Post by sunburnt »

I get an error... Can`t mount file system on unknown block ...................
Apparently the initrd.gz file I made is no good.
I used this command to make a new cpio file and then gzip it.

find initrd -print | cpio -o | gzip -9 > initrd.gz
The new file seems complete and of the correct size...
### Any ideas?

vtpup

#74 Post by vtpup »

Admirable that you're able to do all that. But again I can't help -- you obviously know more about it than I do.

I can't boot plain vanilla 412 retro on my Asus mobo P4p800E desktop machine -- I believe it has to do with the mixed SATA and PATA drives. I have to boot 412 standard kernel -- thus also Mediapup can't be run. On All of my laptops however, from pent 2 to 4, retro runs fine and so does mediapup. On the other hand, the Pent 4 Thinkpad laptop chokes on 412 standard kernel when I try to access the DVD or CD through the K3b program. Thus Mediapup was originally developed on this machine, and therfore uses the old kernel.

Not your same problem, of course, but it is a problem for others (well me, too) in running Mediapup on a lot of hardware, since it is dependent on the ability to run the old kernel.

Anyway, that's why I suggested downloading vanilla 412 retro and testing on your hardware before getting too far down the road with script mods.

There might be a lot more wrong.

EDIT: I've never made a new (std) kernel version of Mediapup because of the dependency hell it was to create the original one. I didn't wan to go through that again.

But I read somewhere else on the forum someone talking about upgrading his/her kernel.

I wonder if it's possible to simply update Mediapup's kernel to the 412 standard version. Then we'd have 2 mediapups that would run on pretty much everyone's hardware. Mine included. People have been asking for this for a long time. It just didn't occur to me that it could be doen that way.

sunburnt

#75 Post by sunburnt »

Upgrading the kernel sounds like a possibility, can it be that easy? Ask MU...

My PC is a 2400+ Semperon with 2 PATA IDE drives, only old hardware...
SeaMonkey 400 is my regular Puppy, newer ones don`t seem to work.
Each has a different reason why it won`t boot, no SFS, no Save, etc., etc.
MediaPup at least I understand the copy to ram trouble. Silly problem...

PupGeek

#76 Post by PupGeek »

With limited RAM, I have copied the main .sfs file to my hard drive, renamed it with a _412 trailing the basename and loaded it as a .sfs module after booting a regular puppy 411..... not necessarily the preferred method, but a cheesy workaround that worked for me.

But thats the beauty of puppy, you dont have to be afraid to experiment..... just boot up with a pfix=ram and try anything you want... no worries, if it fails or crashes puppy just hit the reset button......

vtpup

#77 Post by vtpup »

Wow, cheesy, no, inspired, wild. :D

You mean that can be done?

So what parts overlay and what parts don't? Does the kernel you started with get overlayed, too? If so, it would seem to still have the old kernel 412 SATA problems.

Are you doing this to just get around the pfix=noram problem?

Can we do this in reverse and overlay a later kernel on top of Mediapup, then do a remaster in order to make a late kernel Mediapup 412?

John Lewis

ManDVD and dvd-slideshow failure

#78 Post by John Lewis »

I decided to give this pup a try as I needed to produce a slide show. Neither ManDvd no dvd-slideshow worked. There is an ffmpeg error.

I suspect the wrong version of ffmpeg is the problem. In my Mepis Linux I have the same problem using dvd-slideshow.
Dir2-slideshow works. Dvd-slideshow works if I use the -mpeg2enc switch but it fails at dvd-menu unless I have nomenu. I swapped out the ffmpeg for a newer version from a stand alone program I have and then dvd-menu worked and produced the show.

Unfortunately Dvd-slideshow then failed because the version of ffmpeg was compiled without certain needed bits. This means I can do the slideshow but I have to keep swapping the ffmpeg. (Yes I'll have to go to the repo's and find a newer one. :) )

Anyway, I suspect this ffmpeg incompatability is causing the same problem in MediaPup. This may have occurred in upgrades of Mediapup.

Any suggestions? I'd really like to see this little doggy run.

John Lewis

John Lewis

sunburnt

#79 Post by sunburnt »

vtpup; Yes it works for most things, you can also use a full install of another distro.!

vtpup... I got MediaPup to boot with my hack, Patriot gave me the command to cpio it.
Q; WinFF doesn`t remember settings, and to click: "Convert To ..." crashes it.
Perhaps it`s caused by the suggested problem above...

I like the simplicity of WinFF as opposed to the complexity of Kino.
It`s a frugal install to HD, 2400+ Semperon, 256 MB ram, ATI 7500 Radion.

vtpup

Re: ManDVD and dvd-slideshow failure

#80 Post by vtpup »

John Lewis wrote:I decided to give this pup a try as I needed to produce a slide show. Neither ManDvd no dvd-slideshow worked. There is an ffmpeg error.

I suspect the wrong version of ffmpeg is the problem. In my Mepis Linux I have the same problem using dvd-slideshow.
Dir2-slideshow works. Dvd-slideshow works if I use the -mpeg2enc switch but it fails at dvd-menu unless I have nomenu. I swapped out the ffmpeg for a newer version from a stand alone program I have and then dvd-menu worked and produced the show.

Unfortunately Dvd-slideshow then failed because the version of ffmpeg was compiled without certain needed bits. This means I can do the slideshow but I have to keep swapping the ffmpeg. (Yes I'll have to go to the repo's and find a newer one. :) )

Anyway, I suspect this ffmpeg incompatability is causing the same problem in MediaPup. This may have occurred in upgrades of Mediapup.

Any suggestions? I'd really like to see this little doggy run.

John Lewis

John Lewis
Not sure what your problem is due to, but it runs fine out of the box for me. I've made no changes or upgrades to the distro. Where did you get yours from? Did you check the MD5 sum?. Are you running off of the liveCD?

The only "official" download site is Caneri's. That's the only one I personally uploaded it to. If you got it somewhere else, Use the Caneri MD5 sum to check it.
Last edited by vtpup on Tue 13 Oct 2009, 06:01, edited 1 time in total.