MediaPup

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
PupGeek

#76 Post by PupGeek »

With limited RAM, I have copied the main .sfs file to my hard drive, renamed it with a _412 trailing the basename and loaded it as a .sfs module after booting a regular puppy 411..... not necessarily the preferred method, but a cheesy workaround that worked for me.

But thats the beauty of puppy, you dont have to be afraid to experiment..... just boot up with a pfix=ram and try anything you want... no worries, if it fails or crashes puppy just hit the reset button......

vtpup

#77 Post by vtpup »

Wow, cheesy, no, inspired, wild. :D

You mean that can be done?

So what parts overlay and what parts don't? Does the kernel you started with get overlayed, too? If so, it would seem to still have the old kernel 412 SATA problems.

Are you doing this to just get around the pfix=noram problem?

Can we do this in reverse and overlay a later kernel on top of Mediapup, then do a remaster in order to make a late kernel Mediapup 412?

John Lewis

ManDVD and dvd-slideshow failure

#78 Post by John Lewis »

I decided to give this pup a try as I needed to produce a slide show. Neither ManDvd no dvd-slideshow worked. There is an ffmpeg error.

I suspect the wrong version of ffmpeg is the problem. In my Mepis Linux I have the same problem using dvd-slideshow.
Dir2-slideshow works. Dvd-slideshow works if I use the -mpeg2enc switch but it fails at dvd-menu unless I have nomenu. I swapped out the ffmpeg for a newer version from a stand alone program I have and then dvd-menu worked and produced the show.

Unfortunately Dvd-slideshow then failed because the version of ffmpeg was compiled without certain needed bits. This means I can do the slideshow but I have to keep swapping the ffmpeg. (Yes I'll have to go to the repo's and find a newer one. :) )

Anyway, I suspect this ffmpeg incompatability is causing the same problem in MediaPup. This may have occurred in upgrades of Mediapup.

Any suggestions? I'd really like to see this little doggy run.

John Lewis

John Lewis

sunburnt

#79 Post by sunburnt »

vtpup; Yes it works for most things, you can also use a full install of another distro.!

vtpup... I got MediaPup to boot with my hack, Patriot gave me the command to cpio it.
Q; WinFF doesn`t remember settings, and to click: "Convert To ..." crashes it.
Perhaps it`s caused by the suggested problem above...

I like the simplicity of WinFF as opposed to the complexity of Kino.
It`s a frugal install to HD, 2400+ Semperon, 256 MB ram, ATI 7500 Radion.

vtpup

Re: ManDVD and dvd-slideshow failure

#80 Post by vtpup »

John Lewis wrote:I decided to give this pup a try as I needed to produce a slide show. Neither ManDvd no dvd-slideshow worked. There is an ffmpeg error.

I suspect the wrong version of ffmpeg is the problem. In my Mepis Linux I have the same problem using dvd-slideshow.
Dir2-slideshow works. Dvd-slideshow works if I use the -mpeg2enc switch but it fails at dvd-menu unless I have nomenu. I swapped out the ffmpeg for a newer version from a stand alone program I have and then dvd-menu worked and produced the show.

Unfortunately Dvd-slideshow then failed because the version of ffmpeg was compiled without certain needed bits. This means I can do the slideshow but I have to keep swapping the ffmpeg. (Yes I'll have to go to the repo's and find a newer one. :) )

Anyway, I suspect this ffmpeg incompatability is causing the same problem in MediaPup. This may have occurred in upgrades of Mediapup.

John Lewis

John Lewis
Not sure what your problem is due to, but it runs fine out of the box for me. I've made no changes or upgrades to the distro. Where did you get yours from? Did you check the MD5 sum?. Are you running off of the liveCD?

The only "official" download site is Caneri's. That's the only one I personally uploaded it to. If you got it somewhere else, Use the Caneri MD5 sum to check it.
Last edited by vtpup on Tue 13 Oct 2009, 06:01, edited 1 time in total.

vtpup

#81 Post by vtpup »

sunburnt wrote:vtpup; Yes it works for most things, you can also use a full install of another distro.!

vtpup... I got MediaPup to boot with my hack, Patriot gave me the command to cpio it.
Q; WinFF doesn`t remember settings, and to click: "Convert To ..." crashes it.
Perhaps it`s caused by the suggested problem above...

I like the simplicity of WinFF as opposed to the complexity of Kino.
It`s a frugal install to HD, 2400+ Semperon, 256 MB ram, ATI 7500 Radion.
I did get WinFF to work at one point more recently, but I forget how! It's been awhile since I worked with it. As I remember it, was something simple like the exact procedure to follow in using it. May have been the Lin version rather than the wine version. Sorry about the memory lapse.

I've been using avidemux for most of my file manipulations lately.

sunburnt

#82 Post by sunburnt »

Thanks vtpup; I take it that avidemux is a video audio demultiplexer ( splitter ) ?
I need to convert VOB to AVI ( DivX, Xvid, H264, etc.), what`s the best app.?

Surely there`s an app. that`s like WinFF that doesn`t suck?
Years ago I used VirtualDub in Win98, but I want to replace it with Puppy.

Or maybe I`ll rewrite a ffmpeg GUI I made years ago...
Last edited by sunburnt on Tue 13 Oct 2009, 07:01, edited 1 time in total.

John Lewis

#83 Post by John Lewis »

vtpup wrote:
John Lewis wrote:I decided to give this pup a try as I needed to produce a slide show. Neither ManDvd no dvd-slideshow worked. There is an ffmpeg error....

John Lewis

John Lewis
Not sure what your problem is due to, but it runs fine out of the box for me. I've made no changes or upgrades to the distro. Where did you get yours from? Did you check the MD5 sum?. Are you running off of the liveCD?

The only "official" download site is Caneri's. That's the only one I personally uploaded it to. If you got it somewhere else, Use the Caneri MD5 sum to check it.
Thanks for the reply vtpup,
In reply: The download came from Caneri and the md5 checks out. Yes I'm running off the live CD. I am working and saving the video files on the hard drive and I also have about a gig of swap.
I have solved the similar problem in Mepis by editing the /usr/bin/ dvd-menu executable. The problem there was to do with ffmpg and the files that are or are not in the debian release. I don't know if editing will work in MediaPup. I'll have a play and report back. Of course it could simply be me not issuing the right commands in dvd-slideshow. That doesn't explain why it now works in Mepis though.

John Lewis

PupGeek

#84 Post by PupGeek »

I tried WinFF and it didn't work but I didn't bother to figure it out as I already knew how to do it from the command line.... If I want a gui for it I can shell script one using gtkdialog widgets.

Come to think of it, it sounds like a good idea for my Puppy Media Edition that I am working on. :twisted:

vtpup

#85 Post by vtpup »

sunburnt wrote:Thanks vtpup; I take it that avidemux is a video audio demultiplexer ( splitter ) ?
I need to convert VOB to AVI ( DivX, Xvid, H264, etc.), what`s the best app.?

Surely there`s an app. that`s like WinFF that doesn`t suck?
Years ago I used VirtualDub in Win98, but I want to replace it with Puppy.

Or maybe I`ll rewrite a ffmpeg GUI I made years ago...
There are lots of Avidemux versions floating around for Puppy. In fact there's an older version on Mediapup. Also a newer one here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 79&t=46221

And I believe Ttuxxx also has one here in another thread too. That's the one I'm currently using. Runs on Qt4.

vtpup

#86 Post by vtpup »

John Lewis wrote:
Thanks for the reply vtpup,
In reply: The download came from Caneri and the md5 checks out. Yes I'm running off the live CD. I am working and saving the video files on the hard drive and I also have about a gig of swap.
I have solved the similar problem in Mepis by editing the /usr/bin/ dvd-menu executable. The problem there was to do with ffmpg and the files that are or are not in the debian release. I don't know if editing will work in MediaPup. I'll have a play and report back. Of course it could simply be me not issuing the right commands in dvd-slideshow. That doesn't explain why it now works in Mepis though.

John Lewis
Hi John,

Yes ManDVD is problematic unless you do everything just right, and it isn't supported anymore as far as I know. It is definitely possible to have the program appear not to work, when in fact you haven't done what it expects in the way it expects. It took me awhile to get the right procedure down to create a DVD from a slide show and a bunch of movies, with a graphic menu and stills from the movies and slide show as buttons.

But it did all work, and I did make my father that DVD.

So I'm not sure what to say if you aren't able to do so using the LiveCd, except it's got to be either a hardware difference or procedural. Did you check to see that the 412 retro kernel version of plain vanilla puppy runs on your hardware? If not that would be the problem.

But It's hard to believe that ffmpeg could stop ManDVD, or it would have been the same for me (and numerous others) unless there is some way there could be a hardware dependent ffmpeg problem which would somehow prevent ManDVD from running.
Last edited by vtpup on Tue 13 Oct 2009, 23:29, edited 3 times in total.

PupGeek

#87 Post by PupGeek »

forget avidemux mine's gonna have kdenlive

vtpup

#88 Post by vtpup »

PupGeek wrote:forget avidemux mine's gonna have kdenlive
How about opening your own thread for that, then. Thanks.

John Lewis

#89 Post by John Lewis »

Ok vtpup,

At present I'm using dvd-slideshow. I now finally have it working in Mepis after some changes to the executable file.

I have a slide show directory test2 and an mp3 file music.mp3

I issue in terminal the command:

dir2slideshow -p -n testshow -t 5 -c 1 test2

This works and produces a file testshow.txt just as it should.

Now I issue the command:

dvd-slideshow -p -a music.mp3 -mpeg2enc -n testshow -f testshow.txt

If I leave out the -mpeg2enc switch it totally fails. With the switch it attempts to run. This is apparently a known ffmpeg problem.

in the terminal I see the following:

ffmpeg: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libavformat.so.51: undefined symbol: av_crc04C11DB7

Is this an error in libaformat or is it because it can't find something else like perhaps a codec or something? I don't know.

The program runs and creates most of the necessary files in a tmp directory but then fails to complete with the following errors in the log file.

[dvd-slideshow] Creating ac3 audio...
[dvd-slideshow] ERROR during ffmpeg execution!

This suggests to me that the program can't encode the ac3.

I wonder if I need another dependency like lame?

The final command if the above had worked would be

dvd-menu -p -t <Buttontext> -f <xmlfile> -n <dvdtitle>? -theme <Theme directory> -iso

where <buttontext is whatever you like <xmlfile> is the name of that file as created and <dvdtitle is the title for your dvd.

I now have this all working in Mepis using the above commands after some /usr/bin/dvd-menu executable file changes.

line 190 and 740 change ffmpeg to mpeg2enc.

I have detailed this as you might want to get an mp3 file and put a couple of pictures in a directory called test2 and give it a try.

Thanks for you time and interest. I admire your skill and knowledge to create these Pups. One day I hope to be able to do it too.

Regards,

John

vtpup

#90 Post by vtpup »

John Lewis wrote:Ok vtpup,

I have detailed this as you might want to get an mp3 file and put a couple of pictures in a directory called test2 and give it a try.

Thanks for you time and interest. I admire your skill and knowledge to create these Pups. One day I hope to be able to do it too.

Regards,

John
Ha! Skill and knowledge..... you probably know more than I do. You certainly will, if you keep it up.

I just hacked MediaPup together from bits and pieces needed for ManDVD through the slack and puppy repositories filling all its high level dependencies, and in turn their sub-dependencies (in the versions required for eachother and the version of Puppy), tested, troubleshot, downloaded more dependencies and finally pushed the remaster button.

It was really just pig-headed, refuse to quit, hacking. Created as a puplet only to get a family DVD made for Xmas and my Dad. When it all worked, I realized all those damn dependencies fit a lot of other media programs, so I added them, and then I kinda thought others might be able to use it, too. That's all it is. Not a work of script programmers and compiler's art like you'd get from intelligent people like Pizzasgood, Mu, Technosaurus, etc.

I'll try to get some time to load Mediapup up on my other computer and try out what you ask. Actually to make it a true test, I should probably download Mediapup again from Caneri's site, just to make sure we're on the same page.....er disk.

John Lewis

#91 Post by John Lewis »

Hi vtpup,
I think you know much more than I'll know. When you get to my age the learning process seems to get harder.

You "hacked" together a very nice little pup. I'm a believer in having several on disks set up for different things. I have one that is never saved to that I use for banking. Hopefully keeps out the nasties. I have one on a card set up to run Ozi Explorer gps program in my eeepc and so on. Some of these like the ozi program under wine would benefit from deleting all the unnecessary stuff like word processors etc if I get around to it. More room for maps.

Your little pup is just going to be ideal to do my bits of video work if I can get it trained :D .

I do hope you have time to look at what I've posted and see what you find. I'll keep at it until I solve my problem and get what I'm doing working. Incidentally there is a dvd-slideshow wicki with all the command switches etc here:
http://dvd-slideshow.sourceforge.net/wiki/Main_Page

John Lewis

PupGeek

#92 Post by PupGeek »

vtpup wrote:
PupGeek wrote:forget avidemux mine's gonna have kdenlive
How about opening your own thread for that, then. Thanks.
actually i will if i can ever find a place where i can anonymously host it...... and if i can ever be satisfied enough with it to proceed. (im learning the hard way that it is very difficult to be satisfied with a project when you keep coming up with new ideas for it.)... BTW vt, no offense, I was just trying to razz a bit.

PupGeek

#93 Post by PupGeek »

puppup wrote:do all puplet derivatives work as multisession discs? (once iso is burned on dvd-r) I'm interested in trying puppy linux or a puplet.

what's a recommended program? something similar to grafpup (intended towards graphic imaging). along with basic user programs like firefox, music player, pdf foxit.
it has to be burned as a multisession disk, but I believe a flash drive frugal install is better by far.

QBall2U

#94 Post by QBall2U »

Dingo wrote:Mirror for

MediaPup added

http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy ... s:mediapup

I hope it will be faster
I tried downloading this four times and each time I got the same message:
You have got max allowed bandwidth size per hour
Please enter the number on the left into this text box then push download:
Four times I entered a different set of numbers and each time I did, I got another set of numbers to enter with the same message above as the result...I had just gotten onto the internet and haven't been online for over half a day, and when I was online earlier, I hadn't downloaded anything ... just checked my email.

This isn't the first time I've ran across this problem on that site.

Thanks for trying anyway...

QBall

ravensrest

#95 Post by ravensrest »

Just for the record, I am having the exact same problems as John Lewis and get the same error message whenever I try to create a slide show using ManDVD. The program just hangs after creating the *.jpg images, log file, and tmp directory.

Went back and generated 'slideshow.txt' using ManDVD. Then used dvd-slidehow from the command line using the -mp2 and -mpeg2enc switches as John suggests. This successfully generated the slideshow.

So ManDVD needs a way to manually set the switches from within the program, or we need the correct version of libavformat.so.51 (error message is:ffmpeg: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libavformat.so.51: undefined symbol: av_crc04C11DB7).

BS